Anyone on Rehoboth or Indian River Bays?

WHB

Reaction score
I boat on these bays (currently have a fiberglass bottom deckboat) and am likely trading for a new Benny (at Shorts). Am interested in hearing from other who boat on these bays and their experiences with a pontoon -- tri or the twin ellip? The bays are wacky shallow and I'm wondering if its easier with the pontoons, since they draw so little.

I have 2012 2275 gcw with Yamaha 115 hp with twin tubes. We love it in shallow water we spend a lot of time at the sand bars. We live very close to the sand bars so since 2013 we only put 97 hours only the boat. If you plan on skiing and tubing I would suggest a tri as they have much better turning and stability. I have stayed away from Bakers channel at low tide this year but had no problems at high tide. I owned another brand of pontoon but this is second Bennington. They are far superior to other brands.

I have a 2014 20SFX with 2 25” tubes and a 70 hp Yamaha. It doesn’t get me there fast but it gets me there and doesn’t burn a lot of fuel. I keep it in a slip in Dewey. We hit the sand bars and also fish. And the boat ride to nowhere happens to. The big thing with the bays is to know where the sand bars are and follow the channels. I also avoid the Baker channel, even at high tide. I’m usually not in a hurry and take the time to go through Massey’s. The pontoon handles most of the area with no problem in good weather. A little weather or a good chop and it is a rough ride. I also get a little squeamish around the big boats pushing big wakes as I’ve taken a few over the bow. The tritoons sure handle those situations a lot better and you can get where you are going a lot quicker. When I upgrade it will definitely be to a tri. Hope this helps and maybe we will see you out there some time.

Cannot speak to the bays or elliptical. I have an SPS tritoon, and it handles different water situations great. The tritoon itself can go really shallow, really the hold back is our motor/prop...not the tubes.

IF you will do any kind of water sports, or want more nimble turning radius, then I would 100% recommend the SPS tritoon.

If you just want more straight line cruising with maximum buoyancy across the top of the water, then maybe the twin elliptical. However, I still think the elliptical ability to cruise shallow water is not going to be better than the tritoon because IMO the issue holding both back is the motor/prop, not the toons in the water.

Thus, I’d personally go Tritoon to maximize boating options, and still get a super smooth ride that will go in about as shallow of water as you can really run a motor through.

Thanks Vikingstaff. It seems really clear that everyone with a tri loves it, and with the 200. I think you are right from what I've heard and read, and from my dealer, that the draw diff between a tri and twin ellip is maybe a couple inches, and its the motor/prop that limits. (BTW, was raised in Michigan -- near Ann Arbor, and have been to your area. Michigan has such great inland lakes.)

Larry, JohnL ... do you spend much time on Indian River bay ... between the bridge and Paradise? I find the channel markers out of Massey's and heading West on Indian River to be confusing, and there's a big bar on the right going south out of Massey's. Also, was just reading that they are definitely dredging the channel, beginning this November and should be done March 2020. That will help. Baker's is crazy shallow.

Markers are very hard to read with the sandbars moving all the time. I hit sand in what I thought was the channel. I only go to paradise with incoming tide. It has been a pia all year. They were suppose to dredge last year but the state didn’t like the quotes. Hopefully it will get done this year. Whb were do you live ? I live in Mariners Cove so I spend most of my time in Rehoboth bay sandbar. But do fish in Indian River but carefully with swallow water everywhere.

We run down to Paradise frequently. I split my time fishing in the inlet (from the bridge in), Massey’s and IR bay. We also cruise or sit on the sandbars. I solved my navigating around sandbar problems in both bays by putting a combo fish finder in the boat. Makes it a lot easier to go the same way each time. And I feel more confident about late evening cruises and fishing. This year I haven’t taken the Baker channel once. It’s just not worth it to me.
The thing to remember when navigating Rehoboth bay, Massey’s and the Baker channel is that the buoys are marking the channel returning from Roosevelt inlet. That continues until you hit the mid-channel marker in the IR bay. The sandbars do move some, but other than the Baker channel they have the navigable areas pretty well marked. Running back to Paradise from Massey’s, should have you following the channel out to the mid channel marker between IR inlet and bay, turning southwest and then following that channel back as it bends around almost going northwest then west again.

My 200 Yamaha on a 23’ WA blew up last year. Bought a new 20’ Benny with a 90 Yamaha from Short’s in September. As was stated, the motor/prop is the only problem with any sand bars – not the toons.

I had always used Baker’s before (even before the channel was marked with buoys), but only used Massey’s this year. It only takes about 10-15 minutes longer to get to IR Bay anyway. Twice I went through Baker’s on friends’ pontoons at high(er) tide this year and still churned a bit of sand at the Rehoboth Bay end. Although I miss fishing the ocean with the WA, I like the Benny. I live on Herring Creek (Hopkins Prong).

Markers are very hard to read with the sandbars moving all the time. I hit sand in what I thought was the channel. I only go to paradise with incoming tide. It has been a pia all year. They were suppose to dredge last year but the state didn’t like the quotes. Hopefully it will get done this year. Whb were do you live ? I live in Mariners Cove so I spend most of my time in Rehoboth bay sandbar. But do fish in Indian River but carefully with swallow water everywhere.

Larry, I'm pretty close ... Pot Net's Coveside. Have a dock on a small (shallow in places) canal the runs close to the house. I think you are just a bit West, right? I spend most time in Rehoboth Bay. Hopefully, we'll get some good boat time this coming weekend.

We run down to Paradise frequently. I split my time fishing in the inlet (from the bridge in), Massey’s and IR bay. We also cruise or sit on the sandbars. I solved my navigating around sandbar problems in both bays by putting a combo fish finder in the boat. Makes it a lot easier to go the same way each time. And I feel more confident about late evening cruises and fishing. This year I haven’t taken the Baker channel once. It’s just not worth it to me.
The thing to remember when navigating Rehoboth bay, Massey’s and the Baker channel is that the buoys are marking the channel returning from Roosevelt inlet. That continues until you hit the mid-channel marker in the IR bay. The sandbars do move some, but other than the Baker channel they have the navigable areas pretty well marked. Running back to Paradise from Massey’s, should have you following the channel out to the mid channel marker between IR inlet and bay, turning southwest and then following that channel back as it bends around almost going northwest then west again.

JohnL ... thanks for the info about the buoys marking the return from the DE bay. That clears up some confusion for me and the markings make more sense now. I'm not clear on exactly where the "mid channel marker" is in IR bay. Is it before you hit the west mouth of the inlet? I think I get what you are saying about going east into the inlet and essentially doubling back before heading north/west. I'm learning! (Paradise is a fun place.)

Indian River, Rehoboth, Paradise Grill, Peppers Creek, Dewey , Lewes Canal....all my turf area too.

I boat on these bays (currently have a fiberglass bottom deckboat) and am likely trading for a new Benny (at Shorts). Am interested in hearing from other who boat on these bays and their experiences with a pontoon -- tri or the twin ellip? The bays are wacky shallow and I'm wondering if its easier with the pontoons, since they draw so little.

We came down to Ocean Pines with our pontoon from Lake Wallenpaupack/Greenwood Lake. We found navigating these waters a bit difficult with two pontoons. After the first year, we bought a new Bennington tritoon at Shorts. We have been very happy with the tritoon. We've had it for three seasons now. Sent it back to Shorts for winter just today. So sad to see it go.

I love the pontoon for this area because it is so shallow and the pontoon has such a shallow draft. The other thing I did was bought a combo gps chart plotter so I know where I am and where I have been before. Makes navigating around there a whole lot easier. I use Shorts for my winterization also. I still have mine in the driveway as I am hoping to get a few “upgrades” done in the off season. But so far that hasn’t happened. Next weekend will probably be my last opportunity then I’ll have to wait for the spring. It will go to Shorts around the beginning of November to get the maintenance, shrink wrap and stored.

Sure Larry it was the Garmin echoMap 54cv. I installed it where the old Garmin depth finder was. Needed a little modification but wasn’t too much trouble

Attachments

• EC3D3661-7886-497F-BFE3-B3B93D8FC000.jpeg
    EC3D3661-7886-497F-BFE3-B3B93D8FC000.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 21
I just purchased a

2013 Bennington 2574 GCW 300 HP Outboard ESP tri Toonfrom Shorts and just bought a place on Indian River in Warwick Cove. Any info would be helpful to this Chesapeake Bay Boater!​

Bought it just in time to put it away for the winter.
Best advice I can give is stay off that 300’s throttle until you learn the channels and where the open water and sand bars are. They do move from year to year.
It is a great area for pontoons. Take a trip up the Rehoboth-Lewis canal to the De bay. Nice ride, but 3/4 is no wake speed, so you’ll need 3 hours just for the ride up and back. Read the posts above for some other info on getting around.

Back