Anyone use a "rear view mirror"?

FIRE UP

Reaction score
Hey gang,
As many of you know, sometimes waterways can get a bit congested. I consider myself a pretty observant boat driver. When one drives fire trucks for over 30 years, you kind-a get ultra observant. But, we all know what kind of bone heads are out on the water now days and, will come up on your butt in a matter of seconds. So, I'm wondering, do any of you have or use, any form of a rear view mirror? Maybe one that clamps on to the side rail(s)? I think it would just be nice to at least have some sort of awareness without turning your head 180 degrees every few seconds or, what ever frequency needed, based on the present traffic congestion. I had one that clamped on the top of our previous boats windshield. It was great when the kids were skiing. So, anyone use any?
Scott

Wow! That thing is waaaaaay up there! I'm sure it gives plenty of rear view. But, it almost looks like it might in the way of some forward viewing. At least that's what it looks like in the pics you posted. I'd like to experience one before I committed. I know you can't get some tiny, sport style like on a race car or something like that. I'll check that one out and, this one:

With the PTM 100 the mirror is up and out of my direct line of sight looking forward, so not an issue. But I have to admit it tooks some time to get used to the position.

Wow! That thing is waaaaaay up there! I'm sure it gives plenty of rear view. But, it almost looks like it might in the way of some forward viewing. At least that's what it looks like in the pics you posted. I'd like to experience one before I committed. I know you can't get some tiny, sport style like on a race car or something like that. I'll check that one out and, this one:

No forward visibility problems. There's a model bigger than mine to give you wider vision. Go to their website and check out all they have to offer.....

I have the wider PTM edge mirror. I got it off of amazon "used like new" for about half price. You can check amazon to see if they have any used or used like new, but they don't have them all the time. The larger mirror does block my view slightly (might just be where I have it mounted though), but it gives great visibility behind you. The wider mirror meets Alabama's law for pulling skier/tuber, but I still have a spotter as well.

I have the wider PTM edge mirror. I got it off of amazon "used like new" for about half price. You can check amazon to see if they have any used or used like new, but they don't have them all the time. The larger mirror does block my view slightly (might just be where I have it mounted though), but it gives great visibility behind you. The wider mirror meets Alabama's law for pulling skier/tuber, but I still have a spotter as well.
You mentioned Alabama's law about being able to pull a skiier with just the mirror. This year was the first time ever that I pulled a skiier without a spotter. It felt kind of weird but it was on a Thursday mid day and we had this whole area all to ourselves that is perfect for my wife to slalom so we did. It's always better to have another set of eyes but I didn't feel that safety was compromised by not having a spotter on this day. Because of the mirror I was able to keep my head forward watching my projected path but I was still able to watch her and the hand signals she was giving me.

You mentioned Alabama's law about being able to pull a skiier with just the mirror. This year was the first time ever that I pulled a skiier without a spotter. It felt kind of weird but it was on a Thursday mid day and we had this whole area all to ourselves that is perfect for my wife to slalom so we did. It's always better to have another set of eyes but I didn't feel that safety was compromised by not having a spotter on this day. Because of the mirror I was able to keep my head forward watching my projected path but I was still able to watch her and the hand signals she was giving me.

I would agree with you that this time of year pulling a skier (if you have this mirror), a spotter isn't a necessity. I was mainly meaning when there is a lot of boat traffic. The field of vision with this mirror is incredible.

In Alabama, you must have either a spotter or 78 square inches of mirror.

Thanks for all the replies guys, very much appreciated. We had the boat out again today and, like many other times on the water, there were plenty of times I wish I had a mirror. Gonna get one soon.
Scott

PTM Edge here too. Works Great!!

PTM UCX-17 Pro. I would not pull tubers without it, even with a spotter, ever again. It is not just for safety, but I can tell when to hit or come off the gas when the situation call for it. Specifically, I can hit the gas just after the kids pass over the wake when I am in a turn so that get more sling.

I can look forward and still see what going on behind me. Or see what is going on behind me and still see forward.

I had to think of it as an investment in safety in order to justify the cost.

PTM +1

PTM here as well...94A8A150-12D7-4550-88AB-D1C5FD0D43D4.jpeg

Back