Are Pontoons generally filled with Air?

mrobbie76

Reaction score
I ask because one of my pontoons is making a large bang sound, when large waves hit the side of it, while riding in the water. It seems like air has escaped and is now hollow or something.

Thanks

Yes, they are not foam filled like certain brand(s).

That doesn’t sound normal. If the toon is airtight then in the sun it might build up a little pressure and help prevent oil-canning of the metal. But if there is a small leak somewhere that “helpful” pressure cannot develop. Maybe have it pressure-checked for peace of mind?

Good luck!

They are not filled with air (not under pressure), but they are sealed and should feel and sound solid. Sounds like you may have a pontoon that may have lost its seal possibly. If you are lucky it is at an area where water does not have an easy path in. I would talk to your dealer.

I put my head into the ESP in-floor storage when underway and was surprised all the banging. Sounded like we were hitting something solid but it was just waves. Don't notice it from the cockpit.

mrobbie go along the tune that is making the sound and be sure all the attachment bolts are tight. It May be something is loose near it. The only time I ever had a toon make a sound like you describe was on our last pontoon boat. It had u shaped toons and one develop a crack in it. It would make an oil can or banging sound when a wave hit it just right. We had it welded and the sound went away until it cracked again. That’s why we have our Benny now.

My understanding is each chamber has a welded threaded bung located at top of pontoon with a nylon perforated insert that allows internal air pressure to equalize with outside air. Is this not correct?

My understanding is each chamber has a welded threaded bung located at top of pontoon with a nylon perforated insert that allows internal air pressure to equalize with outside air. Is this not correct?
This is correct. They are vented to the atmosphere.
Another manufacturer pressurizes theirs. The implied benefit is firmer tubes, like a pop can is firm until open, then it is easy to squeeze. However, I like the separate chamber benefits of the Bennington too. They both have a good sales pitch.

We had a banging issue, with waves while underway. For us it was the wave shield was not attached at enough points. Added several rivets and issue was resolved. This may (or may not) be something to also check on.

We had a banging issue, with waves while underway. For us it was the wave shield was not attached at enough points. Added several rivets and issue was resolved. This may (or may not) be something to also check on.
The banging could have been from the drunken first mate down below in the brig.......arrrrrgh!

I put my head into the ESP in-floor storage when underway and was surprised all the banging. Sounded like we were hitting something solid but it was just waves. Don't notice it from the cockpit.
Try this.....put the wife in there and slide loaded cooler over lid. Give it 10 minutes and I'd put money on it the noise will increase dramatically. Move cooler and run as fast as you can. Wait a day before returning home.

Try this.....put the wife in there and slide loaded cooler over lid. Give it 10 minutes and I'd put money on it the noise will increase dramatically. Move cooler and run as fast as you can. Wait a day before returning home.
There are a 1000 Comedians out of work ! Your funny !

Back