Are these welds really acceptable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmykpro

Reaction score
Received my boat a couple weeks ago and just took her out of the water for service. After inspecting the underside of the boat I found that the welds underneath are absolutely atrocious! It's comical because all the visible welds on the outside of the boat look great. But anything hidden is junk. I submitted a claim to Bennington, do you think they will do anything?

Attachments

• IMG_20200620_204246.jpg
    IMG_20200620_204246.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_20200620_204258.jpg
    IMG_20200620_204258.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 135
If the pontoons pass a pressure test, then I doubt anything will be done.

Hopefully you won't ever have to act on the lifetime hull warranty at some point in the future.

Mine look the same, recent delivery as well. Probably a result of 1) trying to get through the backlog as quickly as possible after the factory opened back up and 2) much less experienced person doing those n welds. My keel to tube weld was especially ugly and I want to take a metal file to it to smooth it out so I don’t constantly pick up SAV.

While at the dealer yesterday they showed me a brand new boat that was getting its center toon replaced - apparently the welder stayed in one spot too long and melted a hole in the tube. When they performed a test ride they noticed the bilge pump in the storage running constantly.

Keep your senses up in case your logs are compromised! Lower speed, problem getting on plane, heavy leaning to one side etc.

Mine look the same, recent delivery as well. Probably a result of 1) trying to get through the backlog as quickly as possible after the factory opened back up and 2) much less experienced person doing those n welds. My keel to tube weld was especially ugly and I want to take a metal file to it to smooth it out so I don’t constantly pick up SAV.

While at the dealer yesterday they showed me a brand new boat that was getting its center toon replaced - apparently the welder stayed in one spot too long and melted a hole in the tube. When they performed a test ride they noticed the bilge pump in the storage running constantly.

Keep your senses up in case your logs are compromised! Lower speed, problem getting on plane, heavy leaning to one side etc.
3 Bennington boat never an issue. I think everyone will be fine.

NO

Define “everything will be fine”. Does that mean “you’ll get over it” or “Bennington will meet and exceed your expectations”? And how many pandemics have our Bennington’s been through?

I think it’s ok to question sloppy worksmanship and be wary of quality issues during extraordinary times. It probably will be fine, but I’m curious as to how the OP’s situation turns out.

Define “everything will be fine”. Does that mean “you’ll get over it” or “Bennington will meet and exceed your expectations”? And how many pandemics have our Bennington’s been through?

I think it’s ok to question sloppy worksmanship and be wary of quality issues during extraordinary times. It probably will be fine, but I’m curious as to how the OP’s situation turns out.
no excuse for sloppy work ever, a company that constantly brags about their quality should have better quality control. I'v had a Bennington since 2002 and can tell you the first Bennington was much better quality wise than my new one.

Agree, if they want to be know as a premier builder then that crap has to be fixed.

I’ve had two Bennington boats that had leaking welds on the pontoons. One was a 2005 and our 2018 that was purchased new. I’m just lucky that I discovered the leak before I hauled it up to our cottage for the summer because there’s definitely nobody around there to weld aluminum. In my opinion, from the deck up they are definitely a leader in build quality. From the deck down I’d say there is definitely room for improvement.

Contact dealer for any possible resolution. Thread locked from further discussion per forum terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back