Article from North American Waterway

Link

Reaction score
They are a boat canvas company I looked at for a camping enclosure on my first boat.  Bennington has posted their recommendations in the past but thought I would post their recommendations.  [i personally religiously follow Bennington's and use nothing but 303 products on my Benny]

Got dirty seats?

Boat seats are generally fairly carefree but when it comes time to give them a good cleaning, choosing the right product can make all the difference to the longevity of your upholstery.

Not all cleaners are boat-friendly. Products designed for automobiles and household cleaners can do serious damage to the plasticizers in boat vinyl causing it to become brittle and crack or can degrade the thread causing seams to let go.

Do NOT Use:
• One of the worst that I am aware of is Armorall. We had a customer who needed to reupholster his boat seats almost yearly and we could not figure out why. Then we discovered he cleaned his boat frequently and used Armorall on his vinyl seats almost religiouslly. Once we got him using the proper products, his upholstery lasted the life of his boat.
• WD-40 is another product some of our customers have told us they have used for spot cleaning their upholstery. Again, this is a solvent and can destroy the plasticizers in your vinyl.
• Solvents of any kind should be avoided unless they have been developed specifically for use on vinyl.

Products We Recommend
For Spot Cleaning:
• Magic Eraser. Keep a few of these in the boat. They are great for not only cleaning spots on your upholstery but any light scuffs you get on the fiberglass.
• 303 Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner is specifically designed to clean boat upholstery. It has a cleaner and protectant built into it which makes it a great product to use for quick cleanups.

Deep Cleaning:
• IOSSO Mold & Mildew Stain Remover is one of the best marine cleaners on the market. It should be on all boaters' "must-have" list. The container makes 3 gallons of cleaner that is safe to use on all of your upholstery and canvas. It removes dirt, algae stains, mold and mildew without any harsh chemicals that can degrade your vinyl, acrylic canvas or thread.
Whichever product you use, make sure you rinse really well unless instructed otherwise. Be certain you are using a cleaner that is meant for marine vinyl and outdoor use. Otherwise, you will be spending hundreds of dollars every year to recover your boat seats.

Over 100 Boat Manufacturers and Models - Offering Worldwide Shipping
Boat Enclosures | Boat Tops Sets | Camper Top Sets | Bimini Tops | Cockpit Covers | Bow Covers Snap-In-Carpets | Outdoor Storage Boat Covers | Travel/Trailer Boat Covers Covers | Boat Bedding
http://north-american-waterway.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mark. I sent that to a couple friends of mine just now.

Good article Mark!

But I must admit I have used all kinds of different cleaners and unconventional methods over the years to clean my 10 year old boats upholstery and carpet and it still looks new. I've been lucky I haven't ruined it I guess.......

Back