Audiophiles please help

Scott1

Reaction score
I have a couple questions for you guys that know your sounds. 

I have the sony stereo with Kicker speakers.  I want to add a subwoofer and an Amp

1.  I have looked at the MTX Audio WET7.5 4 channel Amp.  Will this do the job?

2.  For the subwoofer, I have found the Wet Sounds XS Series 10" free air but it does not say Marine on it.  They have a XS-65i 6 inch that does say Marine.

Any suggestions on which ones to go with, or none of them at all?  Would you change out the head set also?  I would probably install under the helm, inside the door.  Is this a difficult job.

I like my music, but I do not need as much as some of you on here have, some of you have some pretty good set up.

Any Advice would be great

My first $ would be to get rid of the Sony. I listened to it next to a $100 Pioneer at a box store the other day and the Pioneer was infinitely better sounding. It made the Sony sound like a clock radio. Rich and warm. Much better low end. I have the Sony and I know all the settings to get it to sound it's best. I hit the button on the Pioneer and it sounded sooo much better and I didn't even fiddle with settings or it probably would have gotten better yet. I won't be spending millions like you guys, but I'll spend $100 on that upgrade.

Subs are normally the last component an audiophile would purchase for their stereo because subs only cover a small, limited sound range. They will however get you noticed as the low pressure is a phenom that isn't an everyday occurrence in straight from the dealer boats.

That being said, let's set the stage to help point you in the right direction....

Without upgraded and amplified coaxial speakers your bass will be really noticeable in the stock Kicker application. The question becomes, do you want the tighter, cleaner bass or do you want a little extra to add to what you already have? If strong, clean bass is what you're after, the Westsounds sub and amplifier is without a doubt the direction to go. It more than likely will seriously overpower your highs and lows. If you're just looking for a little extra, the MTX or most other marine brands will fit the bill.

Free air applications are not quite as clean as box mounted. Wetsounds FA does a nice job minimizing that difference in sound quality but it's still noticeable. I'd definitely look at building a ported box for it. On the other end of the spectrum, there are lots of boaters around here who run the self powered Bazooka marine tubes. Not the cleanest bass but they hit hard enough to cover the low sound Hz and super easy to install at a relatively low initial investment. If you're not looking to make the spend to really clean up your system, this might be a reasonable direction to point you.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first $ would be to get rid of the Sony. I listened to it next to a $100 Pioneer at a box store the other day and the Pioneer was infinitely better sounding. It made the Sony sound like a clock radio. Rich and warm. Much better low end. I have the Sony and I know all the settings to get it to sound it's best. I hit the button on the Pioneer and it sounded sooo much better and I didn't even fiddle with settings or it probably would have gotten better yet. I won't be spending millions like you guys, but I'll spend $100 on that upgrade.
Wow, I didn't realize the stereo made that much of a difference, thanks.

Subs are normally the last component an audiophile would purchase for their stereo because subs only cover a small, limited sound range. They will however get you noticed as the low pressure is a phenom that isn't an everyday occurrence in straight from the dealer boats.

That being said, let's set the stage to help point you in the right direction....

Without upgraded and amplified coaxial speakers your bass will be really noticeable in the stock Kicker application. The question becomes, do you want the tighter, cleaner bass or do you want a little extra to add to what you already have? If strong, clean bass is what you're after, the Westsounds sub and amplifier is without a doubt the direction to go. It more than likely will seriously overpower your highs and lows. If you're just looking for a little extra, the MTX or most other marine brands will fit the bill.

Free air applications are not quite as clean as box mounted. Wetsounds FA does a nice job minimizing that difference in sound quality but it's still noticeable. I'd definitely look at building a ported box for it. On the other end of the spectrum, there are lots of boaters around here who run the self powered Bazooka marine tubes. Not the cleanest bass but they hit hard enough to cover the low sound Hz and super easy to install at a relatively low initial investment. If you're not looking to make the spend to really clean up your system, this might be a reasonable direction to point you.
Awesome.  I will look into everything you suggest.  I do agree that just hearing a deep bass thumping from a boat is pretty cool compared to just the normal sounds.

Looks like I will go with the Bazooka marine bass tube, 10 inch.  Sounds like an easy installation.  I will also purchase a good blue tooth stereo.  I think this will really enhance the sound and work for what I need.  Thanks for the help guys!

Dang, I was just thinking.  I had them install a stereo remote on my aft lounger.  Does this mean I have to stick with the Sony I have, if so, can I upgrade to a better Sony and will the remote still work?

Scott, unfortunately the Sony remotes supposedly only work with Sony head units, though I'm sure there is a way to rewire. There are aftermarket remotes available but you'd be fine sticking with your stock Sony. I'm still running my stock Sony headunit on my system. I haven't seen a need to change it as the source input is from my iPhone and is HD music.

I have an old 10 inch Bazooka with a burned up amp. It's an early 90s vintage. My plan was to buy a cheap single channel amp (Amazon) and open the tube and just bypass the onboard amp. If for some reason it didn't work, I'd keep the new amp and have to get a new sub. Anyone have any thoughts or advice?

http://www.amazon.com/SMCM200-200-watts-Monoblock-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B00B5MUJ3U/ref=sr_1_2?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1427548985&sr=1-2&keywords=Amplifier+car+mono
That 90's sub is also probably toast too! You're better off buying both new again. You'd be amazed at the advancements that have been made over the last 15-20 years.

Scott, unfortunately the Sony remotes supposedly only work with Sony head units, though I'm sure there is a way to rewire. There are aftermarket remotes available but you'd be fine sticking with your stock Sony. I'm still running my stock Sony headunit on my system. I haven't seen a need to change it as the source input is from my iPhone and is HD music.
Great, thanks.  I will stick with by original and see how it sounds.  I just wish it had blue tooth capability, I am not sure if it is SiriusXm ready or not either.

Don't go Bazooka when compared to the Wetsounds as10 http://www.crutchfield.com/p_867HTAS10/Wet-Sounds-HT-AS10.html?tp=61750

Bennington used these for an upgrade to their systems. built in amp. Bulldog uses one with the rear subs also.

I have 2 but going to move one to the golfcart and go with the extra sub in my lounger. 2 rattle the helm to bad.
I didn not know they made one like this.  Now I am pissed because I already ordered the Bazooka.  I will figure something out

I didn not know they made one like this. Now I am pissed because I already ordered the Bazooka. I will figure something out
If you can afford it, definitely go with this or any other Wetsounds. It'll provide a much stronger, cleaner bass.

Bazooka marine is a great choice for amps.  I added a bazooka marine amp to my factory kickers, an additional bazooka marine amp to 2 10'' Jl audio marine subs and one more to power the Bazooka compression wakeboard tower speakers.  When riding at full throttle you can only hear music,  no wind!!!  PS JL audio marine subs are considered some of the best made..

PS JL audio marine subs are considered some of the best made..
Finally someone with some real taste in stereo components! All this time I've been the black sheep of audiophiles on this forum. I've got two JL M10s mounted in my front facing loungers powered by their own JL Amps.

If you can afford it, definitely go with this or any other Wetsounds. It'll provide a much stronger, cleaner bass.
You guys are killing me!  I purchased one Bazooka off the ebay Bazooka store.  Now I am going to have to find someone that wants one and save $25.  :)

I bet they let you cancel your order if you call them. Again though, I'll stand by my original post that it will seriously over power your existing set up. Wetsounds systems are far superior but will drown out your mids and highs without an upgrade to your cockpit speakers and amplification of same.

I bet they let you cancel your order if you call them. Again though, I'll stand by my original post that it will seriously over power your existing set up. Wetsounds systems are far superior but will drown out your mids and highs without an upgrade to your cockpit speakers and amplification of same.
So are you saying I should stick with the Bazooka and not the Wetsounds unless I upgrade my system?  If so, I will just see what the Bazooka sounds like.

Back