Welcome to Club Bennington

An official club forum for Bennington boats

Login Register

Bad Acid Wash on my Pontoons

Discussion in 'Dock Talk' started by DD2075GL, Jun 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. nukeantz

nukeantz Member

So sorry to hear all that's happened.  My concern is you using clorox on the seats, I would really rinse it well with a lot of water so it does not damage the threads. I have always heard that clorox will eat the thread away and the stitching will come loose

2. Bamaman

Bamaman Well-Known Member

I would generally tell you to take the boat to a heavy truck detailer that's familiar with polishing aluminum truck saddle tanks. They can use rouge and a high speed buffer and probably get the toons looking good. But the problem is that they got acid on the engine mounts, and the rub railings around the boat which are anodized--essentially plated. They are going to have to be replaced.

The dealer is going to pay dearly for this screwup. And if he doesn't step up financially, it's time for litigation.

This is a lesson to be learned by all pontooners. Never use acid base metal cleaners unless the hull is algae covered and/or has been left in the water. The stuff is a last resort substance that ruins anodized railings and trim. Acid cleaners will always dull the toons to where they need to be polished completely--a tough job on dull toons.

lakeliving and Michiman like this.
  3. Leaf Guy

Leaf Guy New Member

Wow Id be freaking really upset! Unfortunately this indicates that you can only trust yourself to do work to your standards. I would go after the dealer to make the boat like new and then spread the word.

lakeliving likes this.
  4. 1trotter

1trotter Well-Known Member

The toons can be fixed. The acid that is on all the anodized parts cannot. If you decide to have them polished you should have them coated with ceramic. Mine has been in the water for 7 weeks and still looks great.

5. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

Trotter: you should start a thread about the ceramic coatings I have heard a few people taking about them but know nothing about it and would like to learn more

Bigjack, gnc1017 and BulldogsCadillac like this.