Bad Acid Wash on my Pontoons

Yikes! I'm hoping my acid wash doesn't end up like yours but I guess I'll see this weekend when we pick her up. I too, am meticulous about my stuff so I was plenty disappointed to see what my toons looked like after sitting in our lake last season. Whereas our ten year old fiberglass boat looked like new when we sold it (and the sales price reflected that), I guess pontoons without sharkhide are just susceptible to extreme weathering. 

Please post a picture of what they look like! I'd love to have something to compare to. Especially if yours is a newer boat and this was the first time. I'd also like to know if it splashed anywhere else!

Please post a picture of what they look like! I'd love to have something to compare to. Especially if yours is a newer boat and this was the first time. I'd also like to know if it splashed anywhere else!

Will do! I'm hoping we pick her up this weekend but due to a family issue that might not happen. 

Hello all! I wanted to thank you for all your responses and ask another 2 questions (see last paragraph).

I was able to insert your quotes (no names...or nicknames LOL...included) into my next email to the service guy. I was also able to quote the 2 other marinas that I called and sent my pictures to. They were shocked as well. "This is totally unacceptable, we would never do this to a customer's boat...It looked like a teenager who didn't know what he was doing did the job...You need to call Bennington!"

So I called and sent pictures to Bennington. They were concerned, too, and said they would put pressure on the dealer/boat yard.

I just heard back from the boat yard. They consulted with a polishing business. The boat yard/dealer is offering to pick up the boat, deliver it to the polishing business, get the pontoons polished, remove the oxidation from the stray areas, and then return it to us 5 days later. All for free.

I asked for the polishing business' name so I can speak with them directly and research their reputation. I'm so wary now!!! I don't want to accept polishing vs. replacement before getting assurances.

Do any of you have experience with polishing and if so, have any advice about asking the right questions, etc???? I also want to know if shark hide is worth it? I may pay extra for it if they can apply that as well. We leave our boat in the water for the 3 month season and do not have a lift. My husband does rub the pontoons frequently though.

"My husband does rub the pontoons frequently though."

Yeah, and I bet he polishes the boat a lot too!

262d85c8710cd188266dfb1ebfe21732.jpg

There's an Italian expression "you have the knife by the handle" in this negotiation.  Tell the dealer that you want them to put a mirror finish on all the pontoon surfaces (assuming you like that finish), and then have them apply Sharkhide to all the pontoons as well.  The Sharkhide will keep them looking great for a couple of years.

Glad to hear that you stuck to your guns on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
We keep our boat in the water from April to September/October. I have been a critic of Sharkhide in the past. I currently have 3 coats of it on and it has still discolored below the waterline. But it would probably be ALOT worse if I didn't have any applied.

By all means if you are going to have your toons polished and you want to have them look that way for a while........Have the Sharkhide applied!!!

Another vote for the Sharkhide and I don't even have it. I was shocked by how our brand new tunes looked after three months in the water. Hopefully the acid wash last fall will at least even them out. Pick it up Saturday morning to launch for the (shortened) season.

The boat yard/dealer is offering to pick up the boat, deliver it to the polishing business, get the pontoons polished, remove the oxidation from the stray areas...

I don't doubt that the pontoons can be corrected. The more difficult fix is the discoloration spots on the rub rails. ladder, and motor pod. Those areas have a matte finish and any attempt to remove the spots will leave shiny areas that don't match the rest of the boat. I would get clarification on how they intend to fix this to your satisfaction before going forward.

Wow: I had almost the Same situation happen to me by my dealer. They started with my engine compartment and managed to get on my Rails and fence, it stripped the anodizing off and 

Caused a huge mess. My boat is still not fixed.

Ben1.jpg

On a positive note your toons can be refinished to "like new" 

bad news anything anodized needs to be replaced or removed and refinished by a place that does anodizing. Been their done that. Here is a Link to my photos where I removed some of the very same Aluminum that's damaged on your boat. 

Perhaps the same guy "Captin Acid" that worked at my dealer now works at your dealer 

To answer your questions.

1. Your Aluminum is fine. The Acid has only hurt the appearance, and exterior finish. The integrity of the pontoons is fine it's not a problem and can be fixed or brought back to factory finish no problem. 

Our Bennington's have to different finishes on our aluminum.  The pontoons and under skirting are both Raw aluminum  meaning they have no top coat or clears.

the 2nd surface we have on our Bennington's Aluminum is a Anodized finish. This is raw aluminum that have gone threw a chemical and electrical process that places a hard topcoat and changes the surface finish of the aluminum sort of like how placing shark hide on your aluminum seals and protects it. It also changes the color and surfinish of it. That's why your Rails have a different finish then your toons.

A qualified metal Refinishing shop will know how to refinish the toons to a nice smooth even finish. This will be done by sanding the finish on your toons. 

The Anodized side rails and Anything Anodized that got acid on it is a entirely different animal when it comes to Refinishing. The effected parts will need to be taken off the boat and replaced or striped & re Anodized. Not a easy job when it comes to your rub rail or your side pieces.  Most likely the dealer will have to order new Anodized aluminum and replace it. It's hard to find shops that Anodized long Aluminum pieces. The small pieces like the ladder can be re-Anodized pretty easy, most Anodizeing shops do bicycle frames and or window frames larger stuff. But I found when you get over 10-12 feet most shops don't have a tank that can accept larger longer items. 

Yikes! I'm hoping my acid wash doesn't end up like yours but I guess I'll see this weekend when we pick her up. I too, am meticulous about my stuff so I was plenty disappointed to see what my toons looked like after sitting in our lake last season. Whereas our ten year old fiberglass boat looked like new when we sold it (and the sales price reflected that), I guess pontoons without sharkhide are just susceptible to extreme weathering. 

Unfortunately, our acid wash was botched as well with over-spray to boot. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance, but our rather expensive boat looks like hell. The dealer has promised to make it right so we'll see, but anything short of replacing my rubrail, some fencing and having the toons polished will not be acceptable in my mind. 

As much as I like our boat, I'm really beginning to think I'm not cut out for pontoon ownership. If the dealer would have agreed to buy it back less a few grand for use last year, I would be done. 

That sucks. Too bad these marinas/dealers hire and tolerate incompetent staff. This is why I do everything myself. I have trust issues.

You are all not Alone. In my opinion ALL DEALERS employ the biggest "Dong Tards" and then the supervisors are just as big Idiots and they can't or don't manage the monkeys in the shop and that's how we all end up with shotty dealer service and damaged boats. 

Im 100% Serious. I would bring my boat in for service and would need to Always bring it back because the dealer always damaged it or never fixed what it was originally brought in for.  Funny how the warranty stuff never was able to get finished but all the stuff that was a extra charge or cost was always able to get finished. Each time I brought it to the dealership it was like playing "Russian rulet"  example the dealer ripped the vinyl on my boat. And he was like ooo I have a person that can fix that. They brought a person in to repair the rip in the vinyl it looked great when I picked it up but i knew in 6 months the repair would show its face and shure enough bam now the repair that was once invisible is now clear as day just as I knew it would be.  Are you guys picking up that I'm a little bitter??? This type of blatant dumb assarey "dealer damage" is what upsets me. I get it "stuff happens" I understand accidents happen and people make mistakes. The ONLY REASON we are talking about it is because they Don't correct their mistakes and we are left holding the bag. 

Example I lent my Ski boat to a friend. He hit a rock and totally messed up the bottom of the boat. He said he would take care of it and he brought my boat to a crappy gel coat guy. Every time I wash down the boat and see the repair it brings me back to the day he messed it up. If the repair was done right and you didn't see it it would not re open the bad memories and make me think of how I should have Never lent him the boat. Bottom line 

It's how you repair or fix your mistakes that determines weather your over it or not. Same go's for relationships. 

Dong tards...I'm going to start using that one!

I called Yamaha to see if I can just handle the ECU recall. You unclip the harness, remove 4 little bolts, put the new one in. 5 minute job. Unfortunately they mandate a dealer has to complete the warranty repair so fingers crossed I don't have any issues.

The dealer I bought my current boat from hacked it up so bad with warranty repairs Bennington had to take it back to the factory and strip it down to the cross members. Bennington took care of it but it sucked it had to go that far. I wonder if there are service satisfaction requirements to remain as a dealer.

As much as I like our boat, I'm really beginning to think I'm not cut out for pontoon ownership. If the dealer would have agreed to buy it back less a few grand for use last year, I would be done. 

It's a real shame to see this. Last year you were so excited about the boat and your experience on the water with it. So much that you were really looking forward to this season during the off season. You really need to keep pressure on the dealer for their failings. As MrG said before,finishes can always be repaired.

Keep the faith my friend !

It's a real shame to see this. Last year you were so excited about the boat and your experience on the water with it. So much that you were really looking forward to this season during the off season. You really need to keep pressure on the dealer for their failings. As MrG said before,finishes can always be repaired.

Keep the faith my friend !

Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, I still love our Benny and the boating experience it provides. What I don't love is the wear it takes sitting in a slip for three months and then having to deal with this current issue. 

I completely detailed her last fall prior to having the dealer finish some outstanding warranty issues and winterization, so I was in shock when they brought her out last week. I paid extra for indoor storage, but that didn't prevent her from being a mess both inside and out. 

Obviously, I'm hoping our dealer makes it right but now I'm wondering whether I want to take it back to them for future work and storage. Life was a lot easier with our other boat, just not quite as fun!

I'm so sorry to hear that many of you have had bad experiences also. Our boat, as well as all of yours, brings us wonderful fun and relaxation. However, it is for only for about 3-4 months, at the most, in Maine. It is a lot of work, too! Just uncovering and covering each weekend takes some labor, never mind keeping it clean after having fun with lots of people! But to make it all worthwhile, it's nice when taking care of it is not stressful...that's why when things go wrong when they shouldn't...it makes it that more upsetting!

As far as my current "Bad Acid Wash" stands...The dealer has twice refused to let me speak directly with the "sublet" (as he called them) who will do the 'repair' work, "We don't want them getting in the middle of the dialogue".  So I am at the dealer's mercy at this point to hand the boat over. It is scheduled for pick up this Saturday, July 8th. The dealer has assured me the boat will come back to me in "original condition," except for the pontoons which will be polished. Since I can't talk to the sub-contractor directly, I don't know how they will deal with the spray on the anodized parts or the motor receptacle area. We will await the final result and decide whether we accept it or will start a legal battle.

Like Michiman, I was ready to ask to give up some money for it's use last season and push for a remaining refund. My additional concern for the future (besides the oxidation) is that our dealer is the only Bennington dealer in our local area (40 minute drive). If there is any further warranty work to be done, we will have to use them or drive a distance.

But I have to admit, I love our boat. Bennington was one of 2 brands that had the equal length front longer loungers I wanted...I have symmetry issues LOL and wanted to look straight across to the person lying on the other lounger! Tahoe/Avalon was the other brand that had them, but we liked the Bennington quality so much better. I really don't want another brand. We also loved the wrap around lounger near the captain's chair with the front lounger layout. We ordered it so we got everything we wanted (colors, vinyl, flooring, etc.) and avoided all the things we didn't want (all the 'bells and whistles'). We were very happy last year.

We have no choice but to be hopeful. I will keep you posted! 

Just wanted to update you all. the end result was not ideal but acceptable. The dealer finally took the boat and promised to have it all fixed. Since he refused to let me talk to the polishing company he found, he just assured me they said they could fix it all, including the anodized aluminum.

They polished the toons beautifully but they did nothing for the spots on the rubrail and ladder...as you all warned me! Since the spots were few on the rubrail, we accepted it back. They also got most of the spots removed from the motor area. The dealer will replace my ladder at the end of the season since they wanted to get it back to me (we had an agreed time at our ramp and the polishing company ran late). 

Although I asked the dealer to ask the polishing company to keep my boat covered, they didn't. It wasn't until my husband got back to our dock did he see all the leaf/pollen etc. staining on the seats. We had only viewed the toons etc. while it was on the trailer, we didn't look inside the boat. My husband hopped in to drive it and I drove our truck home. It took me 2 hours and lots of Clorox bleach spray to remove the stains. I was furious. We will be purchasing a trailer and using a Bennington dealer further away for the future! We will pick up the ladder and either switch it ourselves or have the new dealer do it.

What a mess!! I have tried to take the advice of many of you on this forum to let this stuff go and enjoy the boat. We did have a great rest of the summer on it!

We had spoken with a lawyer in the beginning and he said it was hard to fight these battles. We had no before pictures. This is why we accepted the toon polishing vs. trying to replace the whole boat. I suggest to everyone to take pictures before handing the boat over to anyone! We will be doing that this winter!

Bummer on the consequential damages but I guess it's good you have your boat back. What a bummer.

Back