Bad fire at my marina

Jb75

Reaction score
Really bad fire today at my marina. Happened on dock six of Portman marina in Anderson sc. we are on dock seven and the wind was blowing away so my boat is fine. At least 11 boats destroyed and a guy injured. Luckily it was not this weekend as the place was very busy as temps were in the 90's. anyhow, a solemn reminder to always be careful and vigilant. Guy was working on his boat generator and it backfired, caused the whole thing. Apologize for lack of pics. Have to google Portman marina fire. I've still not figured out how to post pics.

Wow. Hopefully the injured guy makes a full recovery. Boats can be replaced.

Wow that's pretty horrible! Reminds me I sold a large cuddy to a guy in Ohio back in 1998. It was on a trailer and weighed about 6000 lbs. He showed up with a small blazer to tow it home and he didn't even have a brake controller. I knew at that time this guy was not wound real tight. Fast forward ahead 5 years, I get a call from a boat yard in Kentucky that rebuilds boats. He asked if I had the title to my old boat because he wanted to salvage the hull and I of course explained I sold it many years ago but the buyer apparently never transferred the title. I later found out the buyer had it in a slip in Ohio two weeks after he bought it from me and left a hot plate turned on and the boat was a total loss except for the bottom portion of the hull and I'm sure other boats around were damaged too. The buyer of the salvaged hull asked if I would go to the state of Michigan and request a duplicate title and I unfortunately had to explain I would open my self up to a huge liability issue if I did so. I just hope no one was ever injured.

That is terrible jb75, I saw it on the local news both last night and this am. Glad you and your boat are ok.

...but the buyer apparently never transferred the title. I later found out the buyer had it in a slip in Ohio two weeks after he bought it from me and left a hot plate turned on and the boat was a total loss except for the bottom portion of the hull and I'm sure other boats around were damaged too. The buyer of the salvaged hull asked if I would go to the state of Michigan and request a duplicate title and I unfortunately had to explain I would open my self up to a huge liability issue if I did so. I just hope no one was ever injured.

Need to hijack thread for a moment to make a point...In SC, the seller is required to submit a form to DNR advising them when a registered watercraft is sold. So if the buyer does not, for any reason, submit the paperwork to obtain a new title, any liability the buyer creates can not come back against the previous owner because the previous owner can prove when they sold the boat.

Back to this thread. That fire was horrible.

Back