Bad News

Did you come by our cove?!? Saw a jet ski come in and circle. We were supposed to go to dinner by boat tonight but our neighbors invited us for salmon on the grill instead.......

We did. Started out riding down the main channel, but it was a little rough for some reason. Wound up Circling coves tonight. About 3 or 4 off Kiser Island, turned around at the one next to yours (looked at the castle on the point) and yours then headed back and went through the one behind you. Just trying to relax. 

We did. Started out riding down the main channel, but it was a little rough for some reason. Wound up Circling coves tonight. About 3 or 4 off Kiser Island, turned around at the one next to yours (looked at the castle on the point) and yours then headed back and went through the one behind you. Just trying to relax. 

That's another reason we decided to stay put. It was really breezy and the water was a bit rough. (Wimps eh!) Ha! 

We do the same thing........love checking out the beautiful homes on the lake. 

Whenever you're down this way call or shoot me a text to see if we're around and we'll come down and meet you at our slip. 540 220 1215........ 

Last edited by a moderator:
That's another reason we decided to stay put. It was really breezy and the water was a bit rough. (Wimps eh!) Ha! 

We do the same thing........love checking out the beautiful homes on the lake. 

Whenever you're up this way call or shoot me a text to see if we're around and we'll come down and meet you at our slip. 540 220 1215........ 

Will do. Didn't plan on cove circling tonight. Didn't expect the water to be so rough. 

I am headed to the lake now to "gob" it up with silicon caulk. It will cure 2 days before I use it. My mother's 81th birthday is Sunday so I am going out of town to see her.

Can't see where I could sink it with the amount of water it could take on in 5-6 hours at a time. I can lift it and drain it each night. Not like it is sitting there and I don't know it.

Funny thing is our good friend and former neighbors want to go out on it. We invited them on the maiden voyage and told them it could be a great celebration, maybe like the Titanic. Now I am questioning that joke.

But maybe I might just wear a life jacket and stay close to shore.   :D

Just keep it up on plane with that 200hp and you won't have any issues with water in the nose cone!! :)  

bummer to have the leak but I'd just run it thru the holiday and then get it over to the dealer. You know what you're dealing with and to pay attention to so anything obvious you'll just need to run back to the lift. 

Our marina told me once they use JB Weld marine epoxy as permanent leak repair on pontoons. I would rather have it welded myself, but just passing this along to help ease your mind. They've been around for 50 years, and that's what they do. Your caulk should be good for the season, but best to get it fixed as soon as you can. I wouldn't lose boating days over it. Not all caulk is for constant water contact, so keep an eye on it.  I have a bead of silicone caulk around my bar sink that turns white if water touches it over night. Too late for you now, but aquarium caulk would be best.  Just FYI in case it softens up on you.

My vote would be to do the emergency repair and then keep an eye on it with the goal to have it properly welded after the boating season.

The 10 day repair turned out to be a 2 day repair. Dropped the boat off Wednesday morning and it is ready for pickup. 

Mrs. Salad spent a lot of summers boating on Fontana Lake in the mountains of western North Carolina. She always talks about it. I decided to surprise her this weekend since the boat would be out of service and take our Waverunner there and spend the weekend at the resort. Now I have a boat ready and can't use it and the resort is non-refundable. 

Seems like vacations and this boat are a thing. Anyway, we will have fun boating in the mountains on the Waverunner.   B)

Fontana looks amazing with the mountains, Enjoy!!

Fontana looks amazing with the mountains, Enjoy!!

Had a great time at Fontana. The resort wasn't like Mrs. Salad remembered, after all it had been 3.... years. Even at noon on Saturday after July 4th, the lake was smooth as glass. Only saw 6 boats underway in the first 17 miles traveling upstream. We went 27 miles upstream on our Waverunner then noticed the thunderclouds and Mrs. Salad didn't have a problem with WOT on the way back to the resort 25 miles away. There are 3 rivers that make the lake. When you are in a hurry, every tree and every cove looks the same. No landmarks and only 9 channel markers in over 20 miles. We made it back just as the storm caught us.

Oh yea, they welded up the toon and we got it back in time for last weekend.

/monthly_2017_07/large.IMG_0239.JPG.d78c7aeeebd0bc884ca2a88f4209b191.JPG/monthly_2017_07/large.IMG_0238.JPG.8b3442813c59bd1661b265777ca337e4.JPG/monthly_2017_07/large.IMG_0237.JPG.d2ad96c08f5081d660d5d89c4a3bb20d.JPG/monthly_2017_07/large.IMG_0236.JPG.0b64672ef4e9375a1863db81263ed2d2.JPG

This situation is a great example of the benefits of me being in a Jeep club. If you know Jeeps and trails, then you know you will always break something on the trail, and there are enough guys that can fix just about anything. I had hit a submerged log a while back. It cracked the right side toon right at the back weld on the bottom. The crack was about an inch long, if I remember correctly. I took it over to a buddy's shop. He cleaned the wood out and welded it right up. Didn't have to take it to a dealership to leave it for a week or two, while they worked on others' rigs. 

BTW, glad the tuna salads got the boat back so quickly. 

Back