Barnacle Removal????

dannyleininger

Reaction score
So I have sent 8 days with my Benny at a Marina in Salt Water. Today I needed to remove the small Barnacles that were forming below the waterline. So taking the family to a nice beach where I anchored in shallow water, I used the Green Scotch Pads, which worked well, but was very labor intensive.

So how do you Saltwater guys clean your toons?

Mine is kept on a lift so no growth on mine. They get rinsed when I get back to the dock after every use, and when I pull out for yearly service they get a light scrub with bar keepers friend. I found an article from Bennington stating it was an approved product to use on the toons. It doesn’t give it a new shine but it took the brackish water stains off. 6A406D6B-9743-427C-87A9-AE62B441C341.jpeg

Pressure washer and elbow grease at the end of the season. I run a roof brush over them at the sandbar a couple times a season, it knocks some of the gunk down, but not a lot. I’m going to try the Scotch pads this year. I bought a pack, now just need to get on the sandbar and use them. Even with bottom paint there is a lot of growth.

Mine is kept on a lift so no growth on mine. They get rinsed when I get back to the dock after every use, and when I pull out for yearly service they get a light scrub with bar keepers friend. I found an article from Bennington stating it was an approved product to use on the toons. It doesn’t give it a new shine but it took the brackish water stains off. View attachment 27123

Am I correct in assuming that you do not have shark hide on your toones?

Pressure washer and elbow grease at the end of the season. I run a roof brush over them at the sandbar a couple times a season, it knocks some of the gunk down, but not a lot. I’m going to try the Scotch pads this year. I bought a pack, now just need to get on the sandbar and use them. Even with bottom paint there is a lot of growth.

John, I was amazed at the amount of small barnacle growth that had taken place in eight days. A couple of times a season may not be enough to keep the crud off. Good luck!

Back