Bat Scratch Fever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill N

Reaction score
I think that we can discuss this current pandemic without getting politically sidetracked. If not, I'm sure that it's shut down.
This virus will likely wreak havoc on multiple members families or circle of friends and I thought a place to share may be comforting to some and interesting to others.

Middle of nowhere, we pretty much thought we'd get through this unscathed.
Truth is our remoteness only put us off for a later wave.

My wife works in a nursing home. They had kept it out until last week. It's crazy how once it breaks penetration into one of those facilities it explodes inside.

We missed the family Thanksgiving thing in 1993 from a blizzard. Haven't missed another since, until this year. My wife is so afraid of giving it to her mom or my mom.
The elephant in the room is Christmas... Haven't even brought it up yet.

Anyway, I thought a place to vent these feelings would be helpful.
God bless you all, your family and circle of friends. Stay healthy!

We normally get together with 30 to 40 people at Thanksgiving. This year my mother and sister are afraid to go about anywhere. So, we will have a small (6 people total) Thanksgiving with my parents and sister. We see them regularly anyway so not much different than normal. I do empathize with those that will have no get together at all. The positive for us is that we now will have Thanksgiving at the lake

In northern NJ we were hit hard by COVID in the March/April, bounced back in the summer and now...we're heading to a dark place. The numbers are getting worse every day and now some of my family and friends have it.

I feel like now the spread is much more intense and rapid, yet the restrictions are not happening.

Thanksgiving is a non-event for my family this year. Christmas is the elephant in the room....

I think that we can discuss this current pandemic without getting politically sidetracked. If not, I'm sure that it's shut down.
This virus will likely wreak havoc on multiple members families or circle of friends and I thought a place to share may be comforting to some and interesting to others.

Middle of nowhere, we pretty much thought we'd get through this unscathed.
Truth is our remoteness only put us off for a later wave.

My wife works in a nursing home. They had kept it out until last week. It's crazy how once it breaks penetration into one of those facilities it explodes inside.

We missed the family Thanksgiving thing in 1993 from a blizzard. Haven't missed another since, until this year. My wife is so afraid of giving it to her mom or my mom.
The elephant in the room is Christmas... Haven't even brought it up yet.

Anyway, I thought a place to vent these feelings would be helpful.
God bless you all, your family and circle of friends. Stay healthy!
Hey Bill although I'm retired I do have a PT job working 2 or 3 days a week doing medical wheel chair transports for assisted living facilities taking patients to Drs. appts, Dialysis, surgeries, rehab, physical therapy, hospital discharges, wherever they need to go. These facilities pretty much cut out all outside visitation to protect their patients. But we have had a couple facilities that had outbreaks and unfortunately some deaths. I feel for your wife. It's a tough job to have at this time but you just have to protect yourself as best as you can. Of course I wear a mask when I'm with patients, I wipe everything in the van down and of course spray wheelchairs w lysol after every transport. Just have to do what you got to do. Give my best to your wife. I know the job that she is tasked to do......

This thread should be shutdown as it is not about boats and it will not allow everyone to express their view. As anyone not complying with the overreach will be considered political. Just shut this down as it does not belong here unless everyone can express their view which they can’t in our current national environment.
I started this to provide a place for people to tell their experiences, express their sorrow and provide support for others.
Please don't infect this with political opinions. Don't ruin it for others that may benefit from it.

This can easily stay as long as nobody ruins it for everyone else.
Please don't go there.
I saw a similar thread help many people on another forum without politics being drug into it.
People opened up, shared their own stories and many people who were dreading being alone for Thanksgiving quickly realized they weren't alone at all.

This thread should be shutdown as it is not about boats and it will not allow everyone to express their view. As anyone not complying with the overreach will be considered political. Just shut this down as it does not belong here unless everyone can express their view which they can’t in our current national environment.
Agree! Argh! Stop it stop it stop it! I come here to escape the ridiculous that has become our world. Now you throw it back into my face. COVID talk is freaking EVERYWHERE... it does not have to be here. Please!

This can easily stay as long as nobody ruins it for everyone else.
Please don't go there.
I saw a similar thread help many people on another forum without politics being drug into it.
People opened up, shared their own stories and many people who were dreading being alone for Thanksgiving quickly realized they weren't alone at all.
Why make yet another space on the internet depressing? Why? Boats are fun and exciting. That's what this forum is about... or should be about IMO. I may be in the minority, but I will either skip over or block discussions to keep my sanity here.

Why make yet another space on the internet depressing? Why? Boats are fun and exciting. That's what this forum is about... or should be about IMO. I may be in the minority, but I will either skip over or block discussions to keep my sanity here.
If it's not affecting anyone here, I agree, by all means (however, I suspect that it is affecting many). We all have something in common, pontoons. We're kindred spirits in that respect. We share the good, and help each other through the bad. I thought anyway.

Thank you for proving my point. Only certain opinions welcome. There is nothing political about thinking that this is unnecessary and over reach. The his does not belong here as this is political once only certain views are welcome.

Agree! Argh! Stop it stop it stop it! I come here to escape the ridiculous that has become our world. Now you throw it back into my face. COVID talk is freaking EVERYWHERE... it does not have to be here. Please!

I want to add that I too am tired of seeing talk of Covid in everything. Every TV show I watch all have some twist on working it into the show. Let's face it, it is now a part of our lives. This in no way needs to be political, it's not about the politics of what each government is mandating, it's about the members sharing some stories of how their lives have been affected. That is what "Dock Talk" is about! You now know this thread is about it, and you are welcome to not read it, but some others might find comfort in talking about their hardships to total strangers. When I lost my dream job, I posted on here and the forum was great in sending pm's and comments. When I've had a loss of pet, or they were sick with cancer, this forum relayed kind words my way.

Point is, yes ,this is a forum managed by a pontoon manufacturer, but it is also a forum made up of people. Ones that are caring and compassionate. What BillN is attempting to do is open a topic for people to show care and compassion about every members different hardships and situations. Not get into a debate about what the government has done, is doing and should do. Pretty simple. Keep it classy.

I'm a courier, so I'm in 100+ peoples lives everyday. Between hospitals and businesses, personal care homes, and peoples homes, so as much as I don't feel super scared about it, I also realize that I have the ability to spread it quite fast and far reaching, so I use a lot of common sense. I limit any interactions I can. I'm leary of visiting my parents for that same reason. My mom has had heart issues and couple of cancers, so I interact with people the same as I hope someone interacts with her, cautiously.

Thanks Derrick, you managed to illustrate the the whole point far more effectively than I was able to.

"... it's about the members sharing some stories of how their lives have been affected. That is what "Dock Talk" is about! You now know this thread is about it, and you are welcome to not read it, but some others might find comfort in talking about their hardships to total strangers."
I am not heartless, but I don't want to read about sadness or other people's problems on this site. I've got my own problems... we all do... and I come here to escape from them, not be reminded of them or hear about the problems of others. It's not that I don't care, I just don't want to deal. You're right, I am "welcome not to read it," and I won't. It doesn't mean I wish anyone ill will, I just want to talk about boats.

My heart goes out to so many this year. I send best wishes and prayers to everyone. I am first prayerful to those that have passed away, and their remaining family and friends. Just so sad. I am then concerned for those that are C19 long haulers, suffering from the growing number of long term post covid health problems. I have a couple friends with people in their personal circles struggling in this way.

Beyond these two groups I feel badly for so many people that have seen their lives so incredibly upended because of the impact of C19 on society: business owners and employees, parents and students, and so many others. I suppose I fall into this group. I had a position set up with MSU going into my retirement from H.S. teaching this past June. Unfortunately, due to budget cuts stemming from Covid, the position was cut. Due to my health/heart issues, I cannot risk being in a position that interacts too much with others in case I become exposed, so I’ve sat sidelined so far without any employment instead of working part time as expected. Also, due to my health issues, my immediate family has really stayed pretty tightly locked down this entire stretch. No fun!

On a more mournful level, a close family friend of ours (childhood friend of my wife’s) lost her husband due Covid the first week of November. Her husband was a police sgt. He actually was an officer of the year and recognized in a Rose Garden ceremony back in 2008 or 09 after being shot in the face in the line of duty and recovering. C19 got into his police station in mid-Michigan in late October and he caught it. He went from slightly ill to dead in less than a week from C19. Our close friend caught it from her husband, but is now pretty much recovered. She and their three kids are left in morning.

And finally, my wife is in the healthcare financial management field. She works at a system level with a number of hospitals in her companies non-profit hospital system. She has been burning the midnight oil since March trying to do her part to keep things afloat with massive revenue loses due to the pandemic. All her hospitals are absolutely overwhelmed right now! Tons of employees (particularly nurses) currently Covid positive, having contacted it during the current surge in Michigan. All the while patient counts and deaths have been climbing greatly in their system. Very few beds available, and the ugly side of Covid hitting them directly. It’s really stressed their system, and everyone within it.

Needles to say, we won’t be seeing any family or friends in person over the holiday season: Thanksgiving or Christmas. It’s heartbreaking as we are a large and close net family. We plan to hold some Zooms, and just do our best like everyone else.

We are going to be Thankful that we have not lost any family member to C19. We are also Thankful to have multiple vaccines on the horizon that look promising. We pray that they, along with various other therapeutics, can get C19 under control in 2021. Looking forward to a world returned to normal come this time next year. Stay safe all my forum friends.

Prayers to all of you during this unfortunate time.

Individual posts to this thread may have been deleted. The mod team has discussed this in great detail. Rather than re-invent the wheel, we are borrowing categories from Twitter's policies. If you have found your comments to have been deleted, it will be because the mod team has determined your comments to be one or more of the following:

• Misleading information — statements or assertions that have been confirmed to be false or misleading by subject-matter experts, such as public health authorities.
  • Disputed claims — statements or assertions in which the accuracy, truthfulness, or credibility of the claim is contested or unknown.
  • Unverified claims — information (which could be true or false) that is unconfirmed at the time it is shared.

If you find this response to be troubling, there are plenty of places on the world wide web where you are free to share your thoughts, opinions and ideas.

Thank you for your understanding. Please don't make this more difficult than it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back