Batteries, Wax, and Biminis oh my!

AuthorizedUser

Reaction score
Three questions... first, a marine battery comes with my boat when it’s put in the water later this month (no idea what kind or size marine battery... never bought one before), but if I wanted to buy a good second marine battery to have on-hand, what the heck do I buy? Brand, amps, size, etc.? Also, what wax do I use on my engine cowling and shaft? It needs to stay lowered in the water all the time as per marina rules and I thought a coating of wax or something would help me clean it easier. Do I wax the prop, too? As an aside, I’m also buying a cowling cover. Finally, do I need to scotchguard the playpen cover and Bimini immediately? Or are they already protected like the seats? Thanks.

Battery - Optima blue top( can’t go wrong there). $$$
Wax - never thought of that before. My boat is on trailer when not in use.
Scotchguard - go ahead when new.

Last edited:
The best marine battery I've ever had was an Interstate. It was the original battery in my Bennington that lasted 10 yrs. and that boat only had 1 battery. It doesn't matter what kind of wax you use on any painted surface as long as it is done regularly. Sorry Derrick but I use Nevr Dull on my SS prop. at least once a year. Stainless steel can look like crap if kept in the water long enough. I don't let it get that way.....

I believe the OP has a 90 hp ,I dont think he would have a stainless .

I have been using Ceramic Coatings on my RV and Quads - much easier to apply and so far has had better performance than the hand wax in our hot climate. Don't have my Benny yet, but assume would be similar and have seen a lot of posts from boat owners that like the stuff. I have not zeroed in on a particular brand yet.

I have been using Ceramic Coatings on my RV and Quads - much easier to apply and so far has had better performance than the hand wax in our hot climate. Don't have my Benny yet, but assume would be similar and have seen a lot of posts from boat owners that like the stuff. I have not zeroed in on a particular brand yet.
The last coat is incredible stuff

The best marine battery I've ever had was an Interstate. It was the original battery in my Bennington that lasted 10 yrs. and that boat only had 1 battery. It doesn't matter what kind of wax you use on any painted surface as long as it is done regularly. Sorry Derrick but I use Nevr Dull on my SS prop. at least once a year. Stainless steel can look like crap if kept in the water long enough. I don't let it get that way.....
Well I may have to edit my previous post! I remember being told / recommended not to wax it, but your comment made me actually search it and Yamaha DOES say to use a paste wax on it! My mistake! I couldn't find any recommendations from any other manufacturers, but there you have it, wax away!

Battery - assuming you are asking about a house battery vs. cranking, a lot of deep-cycle options out there for sure. Cheapest will be your flooded lead battery - dependable as long as you maintain it. I typically look for the largest RC (reserve capacity) in the size group I'm shopping for, normally either a 27 or 31.

I would guess most people go this route - usually because that's what the dealer will carry and low price. I see the Interstate delivery truck every week at the marina dropping off loads of batts. Some swear by certain brands like Deka/Duracells, but arguably the best brand is Trojan ($$$).

Make sure you maintain a full charge on your batteries at all times and on a deep cycle they recommend that you do not discharge below 50% or else you risk reducing the longevity of it.

AGM's (Optima blue, yellow top etc) and gels are the other lead acid battery types, and of course you have your lithiums. Each have their pros and cons which is best researched on the many websites out there.

Are you sure the dealer is only rigging one battery in your boat, to serve both cranking and house?

Before you buy a backup battery, check that your new boat does not already come with two. My Bennington was equipped with twin batteries from the factory.

Back