Battery Sitting in Water?

Larry Legend

Reaction score
4910EFDF-4890-472C-A52A-372E1755B2F2.jpeg i’ve recently come to own a 2001 2275 with a 100 HP four stroke Yamaha F100 engine. After a couple hours of pulling a tube I noticed the well where the battery sits behind the engine had filled with water and the battery box was sitting it water with some water having found its way inside the battery box. This seems less than ideal.

It appears this was factory location for battery given the plate it sits on. Is this normal? Any thought on what might be causing the water accumulation / ideas to fix the issue would be greatly appreciated.

There is always water in my transom .But my batteries are located under a seat .
You can email Bennington with your Hull ID ,and they can tell you if that was the original install location

Always water in transom as Jack said, I would relocate the battery

I had a 2001 2275 Benny and that's where the battery was. Mine was never in a plastic case either. Make sure the caps are pushed down tight and I don't think you'll ever have a problem with the battery.

I do notice, however, the auxiliary wires to the battery on yours are just hanging and look like maybe they get submerged. Mine were pinned up with small SS sheet metal screws to the piece of trim to the right in your picture. I realize those are sealed connectors, but you may want to consider trying to get them up out of the water. You may have to re-route them out the back side of the plastic battery box to reach that landing spot.

Surely, the boat didn’t leave the factory like that. I believe they moved it there to get extra storage under a seat.

I've seen this on other brands' boats. In fact, one of my good friends has a V-brand-a boat newer than mine with the battery installed exactly the same way. He is having issues with his cables corroding over time due to placement and I'm trying to convince him to move his battery out of the transom.

Surely, the boat didn’t leave the factory like that. I believe they moved it there to get extra storage under a seat.

My 2001 clearly came from the factory like that. The battery sat on an aluminum battery tray welded to the transom.

And stop calling me Shirley. ;-)

My 2001 clearly came from the factory like that. The battery sat on an aluminum battery tray welded to the transom.

And stop calling me Shirley. ;-)

:p:D

A little late reading this forum but yes my 2001 2575LX came with the battery in that location. I relocated it under my back seat and added another battery as well. I Didn’t think it was a good idea to possibly submerge the battery in saltwater.

Back