BBQ Mount for Pedestal Fishing Chair Receptacle?

PapaBear

Reaction score
We are awaiting the delivery of our 2011 17 SLi which we are outfiting with a single pedestal fishing chair (plus depth gague and trolling motor) in the center bow. We also wanted to get a Magma BBQ but wanted to avoid another pedestal receptacle in the floor.

West Marine has a Pedestal Mount for Magma rectangular gas grills (Magma #T10-185 & West #10706109).

Does anyone know whether the floor receptacle for the fishing chair will accept the Magma pedestal and/or is anyone aware of a pedestal capable of working with both a Magma grill and the fishing chair pedestal receptacle?

Thanks!

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but if anyone has comments about where they located their grill on their boat, and why they chose that location, I'm all ears!

PapaBear may also find the answers to this helpful if the pedestals don't match.

i put my grill and chair on the rear swim deck. no worries if i spill a little while BBQ'ing since it's vinyl back there and also i can sit in the chair while watching the grill. As far as the grill and chair being interchangeable i haven't seen any that are though i haven't really looked specifically for that. The Magma grill i have screws in to the baseplate and locks and the chair has a clip that drops the chair in to the base so that it can rotate without the chair coming out. the grill does not rotate once locked in. i can post some pics if you'd like.

So, I assume you permanently scew the baseplate to your deck? (Is it surface mounted? You don't have to cut a hole in the deck do you?) If surface mounted, how high does it stick up? Would kids trip on it, or do you put it near an edge or corner out of the way of foot traffic? Thanks.

My understanding is that the front fishing chair will be removable leaving only the flush base mount in the deck. I figured when the fishing chair was not in place, the same base mount could become the base for the BBQ stand.

So, I assume you permanently scew the baseplate to your deck? (Is it surface mounted? You don't have to cut a hole in the deck do you?) If surface mounted, how high does it stick up? Would kids trip on it, or do you put it near an edge or corner out of the way of foot traffic? Thanks.
kaydano - Earlier this summer after reading matthew's post about the Magma grill and pedestal, I did the same thing he did (after returning a rail mounted grill that I first bought) and it works great. I located mine at the aft, port corner of the deck (outside the fenced area on the extended deck behind my sundeck). As for the base, imagine a 5 or 6 inch diameter salad plate turned upside down; that about how much it "sticks up". No one has stubbed a toe or tripped on it yet. As for installation, there is no need to cut any holes; it is just screwed down with 5 stainless steel screws. (I asked my dealer's service department and they said that was how they would do it). The whole setup is very stable and the location is great for actually using the grill without making a mess somewhere else in the boat.

Friar - Thanks. That info is very helpful.

Before reading your comments, I was 80% sure I'd put it in the back, and 20% sure on putting it up front. My only reason for maybe putting it up front was there was no ladder up front (so no swim traffic up front). But, my reasons for NOT putting it up front outweighed that: There's not much deck space up front, the grill would block the view when driving the boat, and the hottest part of the grill would be too close to the vinyl seat top.

So, aft it will go.

Back