Be careful out there!

Michiman

Reaction score
Based upon my conversations with other forum members, I'd have to say that most of us are pretty safe boaters and have a good understanding of the rules of the "road", so to speak. However, I came across this sad story of a life lost on a Michigan lake this past week. I'm guessing that inexperience and perhaps excessive alcohol are at work here.

http://www.9and10news.com/clip/13566037/sand-lake-residents-shaken-up-after-deadly-tubing-accident

Just saw this on MLive. Terrible news.

Sad!

That is terrible. Sounds like the driver of the boat was irresponsible quite often. 

Sad story,it looks to me that the lake being shown is to small to tube in. At least in the area that is shown on the video.Tubing and skiing should only be done in open areas away from shores and docks. And of coarse,other boats! Please use common sense all.

Here's to a safe ending of the boating season.

Safety is priority #1 when we are on the water!!! Can never be too Safe! Common sense and education is the key.......

I'm sure most of you heard about the runaway Air Nautique on Lake Gage, which is very close to us. It made the national news for all the wrong reasons.

Runaway boat on Lake Gage

It's a miracle no one was killed in this case, but there were plenty of injuries.

I can't stand those who operate a vehicle/boat etc under the influence. They come out unscathed and everyone else is killed or injured. I'm sure this wasn't her boat so dad is probably pissed.

I'm sure most of you heard about the runaway Air Nautique on Lake Gage, which is very close to us. It made the national news for all the wrong reasons.

It's a miracle no one was killed in this case, but there were plenty of injuries.

Yikes! Tough week out on the water...

We had a guy drown on Norman this week but he was swimming.

Yup saw this on the national news. Which brings me to my point..........

How many of us actually physically attach the safety lanyard from our Benningtons to our bodies in case of a situation like this?!? If the girl operating the boat was thrown clear and she had the safety lanyard attached to her somehow the boat would have shut off instantly. I always used to wear one when we had our jet skis but I never attach the one on our Benny........

Yup saw this on the national news. Which brings me to my point..........

How many of us actually physically attach the safety lanyard from our Benningtons to our bodies in case of a situation like this?!? If the girl operating the boat was thrown clear and she had the safety lanyard attached to her somehow the boat would have shut off instantly. I always used to wear one when we had our jet skis but I never attach the one on our Benny........

I definitely looked at mine right after that, but still never attached it... I always hook it up on the Seadoo

Our Benny does not have a safety lanyard. I have to say, I was a bit surprised when we took possession of her last year and there was none dangling next to the captain's chair. Heck, I thought it was a law that there had to be one, but I guess I'm wrong.

Our Benny does not have a safety lanyard. I have to say, I was a bit surprised when we took possession of her last year and there was none dangling next to the captain's chair. Heck, I thought it was a law that there had to be one, but I guess I'm wrong.

That doesn't sound right. I've never seen a boat or watercraft without one.

That doesn't sound right. I've never seen a boat or watercraft without one.

Me neither but I'm about 99.9% sure it doesn't. I'll take a picture this weekend.

You usually aren't able to start your boat unless you have the lanyard in place.............

We have had a terrible season out here on Lake Havasu. Way too many deaths and accidents. Just in the past three weeks, we have had four fatalities and numerous injuries. I have various rules on my boat to try to avoid issues, but still question how all these issues keep happening.

Cheers, Steve

You usually aren't able to start your boat unless you have the lanyard in place.............

+1. All my boats have had the lanyard and clip. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I tested our lanyard for the first time yesterday. Works. Didn't clip it to myself though.

Back