Be careful out there!

Rule on our boat is the driver always has to have the lanyard on, usually just loop around your leg and forget about it.  Does occasionally get forgotten, both to put on or take back off.  Easy enough habit to get into and a small safety measure we can control.

2 weeks ago at Deep Creek lake we saw 2 rental boats , a pontoon and a run about,{ same family } arrive at the condo docks. The pontoon hit the dock and when a girl went to help, she fell in the lake. Later that day, when trying to dock the pontoon, again ,a girl grabbed a mooring line from the pontoon to assist docking. The operator reversed the pontoon as he was coming into the slip, the girl holding the line was pulled off her feet and almost dragged into the lake. Later the runabout approached the dock at full speed, came off plane approximately 20 feet from the dock and entered the slip sideways. Lucky for him he hit the dock hard enough to stop the boat. But there's more, I was backing my new Benny out of my slip, a fishing charter was directly off my stern about 50 feet out.  I made verbal contact with the operator about my intentions. Everything was good . As I was backing out of the slip, the previously mentioned runabout operator rounded the dock, full throttle with the bow up in the air and came between the fishing charter and me, throwing a huge wake in my direction. I thought I was going to be thrown into the dock, but I accelerated through the wake in reverse. After everyone was done yelling at this idiot, his response was " It was my first time on this boat and the throttle stuck! " Closest I ever came to an accident since I have been boating. Damn rental boats!

Omg I HATE rental boats. Many of them could care less if the renter has any knowledge of how to operate a boat. I had a near miss experience on LOTO. I still can't believe how it all happened.

2 weeks ago at Deep Creek lake we saw 2 rental boats , a pontoon and a run about,{ same family } arrive at the condo docks. The pontoon hit the dock and when a girl went to help, she fell in the lake. Later that day, when trying to dock the pontoon, again ,a girl grabbed a mooring line from the pontoon to assist docking. The operator reversed the pontoon as he was coming into the slip, the girl holding the line was pulled off her feet and almost dragged into the lake. Later the runabout approached the dock at full speed, came off plane approximately 20 feet from the dock and entered the slip sideways. Lucky for him he hit the dock hard enough to stop the boat. But there's more, I was backing my new Benny out of my slip, a fishing charter was directly off my stern about 50 feet out.  I made verbal contact with the operator about my intentions. Everything was good . As I was backing out of the slip, the previously mentioned runabout operator rounded the dock, full throttle with the bow up in the air and came between the fishing charter and me, throwing a huge wake in my direction. I thought I was going to be thrown into the dock, but I accelerated through the wake in reverse. After everyone was done yelling at this idiot, his response was " It was my first time on this boat and the throttle stuck! " Closest I ever came to an accident since I have been boating. Damn rental boats!

You should have reported the runabout to the DNR so that they could deal with it. I know that Maryland DNR has been on a campaign to curb bad boating behavior,especially at Deep Creek and Ocean City. Both waterways are extremely crowded during the summer months.

The real problem with rentals is that the operator doesn't need a boaters cert. to rent the boat.What's wrong with that people?

You should have reported the runabout to the DNR so that they could deal with it. I know that Maryland DNR has been on a campaign to curb bad boating behavior,especially at Deep Creek and Ocean City. Both waterways are extremely crowded during the summer months.

The real problem with rentals is that the operator doesn't need a boaters cert. to rent the boat.What's wrong with that people?

I did report the incident to the DNR.

That doesn't sound right. I've never seen a boat or watercraft without one.

Well, I'm feeling pretty foolish. I did locate a safety lanyard but in my defense, unless you look for it you wouldn't know it was there. I'll post a picture so you can see what I'm talking about. On my last boat, it was "up front and center" so to speak. 

I stumbled on some youtube videos of people "ghost riding" behind their wake boats doing wake surfing. Talk about dumb!!!!

I stumbled on some youtube videos of people "ghost riding" behind their wake boats doing wake surfing. Talk about dumb!!!!

I thought I'd seen it all, had to look this one up. Idiots

Stupidity will always evolve!

In NH you need to take a proctored exam to get your boaters cert. which includes 20+ hours of material. When we first heard of this we were so pissed off but after witnessing people on boats/jetskis I am now a strong proponent of it. Our lake is small enough compared to the other very large lakes around us that it doesn't get that many outsiders and there is no place to rent boats which helps too. I think we've had one death in 10+ years and that was during the winter.

what people don't realize is pulling tubes takes some Skills. When you pull a Waterskir or a Wakeboarder most boats have a Cruze control and you just have to keep the boat going straight. And pretty much the rider is responsible for his or own safety. With tubes your driving back and forth across the lake Your your looking backwards and forwards the whole time. Your on and off the gas, and the driver has the safety of the tubers in his or own hands. So it takes some skill or someone to show you. But unfortunately most of the time the Most inexperienced boaters are the ones that are pulling tubes.

I can't tell you how many times clueless parents have whip their young children in a tube right across the front of my speeding pontoon boat. I mean let's be real how do these parents know that I even saw their children they are putting an awful lot of trust in a complete stranger, would you push your kids off the curb in front of a On coming car and expect that the car is gonna see them and they are gonna stop? Heck No! But they find it completely acceptable to do almost the same thing when pulling their kids on a tube. I'm on edge when a boat is pulling a tube near me. I want away from them big time. What's even more frustrating is when parents have a choice to whip or pull their kids in direction that's safe Vs pulling/whipping them into a congested boating area. I just look at them like what the hell are you thinking/doing why are you whipping your children in front of an oncoming speeding boat .
Complete Idiots.

I have stated many times in different strings that we love our water sports, skiing, knee boarding, surfing (with a rope). But we very seldom tube. I have seen many injuries due to tubing and have experienced the pain myself. You as the rider are totally at the mercy of the boat driver and the power of the craft. It takes absolutely no talent or athletic ability to tube so it has never intrigued my crew. We occasionally blow up the tube for a guest and I'm sure I will never get the best tube boat driver award. What makes me happy and proud is to watch my grandkids develop their skills knee boarding and this year water skiing. My grand daughter is seven and my grandson is eight. The confidence and pride they have in their accomplishments is priceless. I know you can be injured and we have had our share but most have been due to athletes pushing their limits not a driver or boat pushing a limit. Common sense and boater safety have allowed my family many wonderful years and I pray many many more to come.

My wife and I almost got run in to this past week. We had gone on a sunset cruise, and were just drifting after dark, when I looked up to see a pontoon fairly close to me (probably 20 yards, but the bow rider following was heading straight for our boat. My anchor lights were on, but they were obviously coming from the lakeside pub near by and were less than fully aware of their surroundings. They never saw me until I hit the horn, long and hard. They made a big swerve at the last second, missing us by about 10'. That scared me, and yes, they got a tidbit of an earful as they passed.

Glad that wasn't worse Randy. There are some real idiots out there on the water.

My wife and I almost got run in to this past week. We had gone on a sunset cruise, and were just drifting after dark, when I looked up to see a pontoon fairly close to me (probably 20 yards, but the bow rider following was heading straight for our boat. My anchor lights were on, but they were obviously coming from the lakeside pub near by and were less than fully aware of their surroundings. They never saw me until I hit the horn, long and hard. They made a big swerve at the last second, missing us by about 10'. That scared me, and yes, they got a tidbit of an earful as they passed.
Yikes! Glad you escaped unharmed.

Spoiledrotten,
Wow that had to be no fun at all. Glad you folks are ok. Be careful out there cause commen sense and intelligence aren’t necessarily naturally occurring traits.

Glad all turned out well........

Same thing happened to us on 4th of July night after the fireworks........I was pulling up the anchor and a boat was coming right at us. My wife hit 'em with the flashlight and they turned away. Not happy that she probably messed up their night vision for awhile but too bad. Pay attention!

Back