beaching and reversing/dual thrust prop

northwoodsnate

Reaction score
On our lake in WI, High Falls Flowage the main areas that pontoons go are sand bars and beaches. Everyone bows in the sand and beaches their toons with no need for anchors, then they reverse out with ease. I just bought a 08 2275 RLI with Yamaha 75 4 stroke and I struggeled to reverse out having to get my friends/other to push us out. I also damaged the prop in a little when back. Finally the question, how do you guys bow in on sandbars and reverse out. And since I'm replacing a prop I'm thinking of going with a Yamaha 14in 11pitch I'm I on the right track?

You will not want to prop out if beached on sandy beaches, the prop wash stirs up a large amount of sand and the engine sucks it in directly thus killing your water pump in short order. Don't need to ask me how I found that out after replacing a water pump after only 40 hours on my 07 150 yanmaha by doing this. After I pulled it out and saw the hand fulls of sand in it I knew right away what it came from. thus teaching me a lesson. I now have 150 hours on this pump and its still going strong. I now push off every beach.

And since I'm replacing a prop I'm thinking of going with a Yamaha 14in 11pitch I'm I on the right track?
14x11 is too much.

You need a 14x10 or 14x9.

I don't think Yamaha has a 14x9 yet, but Mercury does. You just slip it on the splines and reuse your Yamaha castle nut.

I run a 14x9 Merc on my Yamaha 50hp High Thrust and get 18-18.5 mph @ 6000rpm when the conditions are right. (Low to no wind and smooth water.)

I can actually start the year with clean logs and run 17.5-18 @ 5800rpm on my 14x10 (Also a Merc), but as the logs "dirty up" during the season I switch back to 14x9 to get my speed back. I usually end the season around 17mph.

This year I just started with the 14x9 and made sure the keep the rpm's off the limiter until the logs slowed me down enough that I could just push the throttle all the way forward and be done with it.

Solas offers a 14 x 9p and a 14 x 11p.....for just $91.76 at boats.net.

I would think that the F75 with a 2.31 gear ratio would pull a 14 x 11p just fine on a 22 footer. What prop is on the boat now and at what rpms @ WOT?
I'm not so sanguine about that.

You could be right of course, but if I had to start somewhere I would start with a 14x10p.

The 90hp engine could probably swing the 11p prop, but the 75...?

Ericscher, what gear ratio is your F50......1.85 or 2.31 ?

If you check the performance bulletins offered by Yamaha for pontoons, you'll find that every pontoon tested with an F75 ran a 13 5/8 x 13p prop and turned it @ 5900+ rpms.

In fairness, those are new boats with clean logs.

Of course, you're absolutely correct... the 14x11p COULD work out to be just right.

Using these tests as a reference point, if I were to buy a new Yamaha prop, I'd opt for the 14 x 11p on a Bennington 22 footer.

Well, you really wouldn't be far off with that choice, IF you were off at all.

I bought my boat with the 14x9p mercury prop on it, because that's what the marina owner specified for it, based on his experience.

Not being willing to leave well enough alone, I bought a 14x10p and a 14x11p and tried them out. Currently my motor wears the 14x9p.

Having said that, as you point out next...

The blade shape, area, rake, prop diameter all come into play along with the pitch of any prop. It's always a crap shoot.

I couldn't agree more. But at some point we DO need to make an educated guess anyway.

If there's one thing I've learned in my 20+ years of set-up / driving a race boat, the search for the "perfect" prop never ends.

Of course not. Why give up the FUN part of hot-rodding? :D

I've tried many, many different props and engine set-ups on our tritoon to get the performance / speed to where it's at right now. I'm very pleased with what I've accomplished, but never completely satisfied.

I can relate...

You know, for what it's worth, a lot of pontoon owners with big outboards have found that a hydraulic jack plate is a beautiful thing. I've spoken with many guys with 25 foot tritoons and 250hp engines who get over 50mph on GPS.

Just something to try if you're so inclined.

Happy boating...

Back