Bedliner coating liner on scissor trailer

Dan S

Reaction score
Hello.  I purchased a Trophy/Titan 22' scissor trailer for my 21SLX.  The trailer is only 3 years old but starting to rust on the top of the support beams that the the pontoon deck rests on.  I'm considering rolling or brushing pick up bed liner onto the tops of these supports so as to prevent rust and also to give the surface a non-skid surface.  Herculiner is one of the brands out there that seems to get a lot of excellent reviews for pick ups.  The sprary liners in a can don't seem to get very good reviews.  Has anyone done this to their scissor trailer?  It seems to make sense to me.  Thanks

I think you're the only person that has a scissor trailer on here, other than maybe a dealer.

I have a very short haul to the launch from our pole building, about 2-3 miles each way.  I did a test pull a couple of weeks ago including highway at 60MPH and everything went very well.  Really, no one else uses a scissor trailer on this forum? My first choice was a bunk but I had to go with a scissor because of garage door height.

I think they make the garage door bigger.    :D

Way too expensive given where the trusses are and the pitch of the roof

I have a very short haul to the launch from our pole building, about 2-3 miles each way.  I did a test pull a couple of weeks ago including highway at 60MPH and everything went very well.  Really, no one else uses a scissor trailer on this forum? My first choice was a bunk but I had to go with a scissor because of garage door height.
I'm sure there are others that have the scissor trailer on the forum or they just rent them.

I used to have a scissor trailer with the old boat for the same reason as you describe above.  With a tritoon, they don't work.  They do make special ones for dealers/yards, but they don't have brakes so they are not legal for our weights. 

I don't see why you couldn't use a bed liner type material.  Make sure you prep very good.  It might be easier to just repaint the rusted areas periodically. 

I wonder if you can get some pressure sensitive adhesive and bond some bunk carpeting to the top of the tube?  If you do it after you paint, it should keep it from getting scratched.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure there are others that have the scissor trailer on the forum or they just rent them.

I used to have a scissor trailer with the old boat for the same reason as you describe above.  With a tritoon, they don't work.  They do make special ones for dealers/yards, but they don't have brakes so they are not legal for our weights. 

I don't see why you couldn't use a bed liner type material.  Make sure you prep very good.  It might be easier to just repaint the rusted areas periodically. 

I wonder if you can get some pressure sensitive adhesive and bond some bunk carpeting to the top of the tube?  If you do it after you paint, it should keep it from getting scratched.
Yes, I thought of the stick on tape but thought that might peel off after awhile.  Thanks.

I used to have a scissor trailer with the old boat for the same reason as you describe above. With a tritoon, they don't work. They do make special ones for dealers/yards, but they don't have brakes so they are not legal for our weights.

I don't see why you couldn't use a diy bed liner type material. Make sure you prep very good. It might be easier to just repaint the rusted areas periodically.

I wonder if you can get some pressure sensitive adhesive and bond some bunk carpeting to the top of the tube? If you do it after you paint, it should keep it from getting scratched.
If you only need to do touch ups or small projects such as fenders, stairs or wood roofs, it’s a good idea to see if your chosen product uses a batch system for mixing.

If you only need to do touch ups or small projects such as fenders, stairs or wood roofs, it’s a good idea to see if your chosen product uses a batch system for mixing.
Off the subject! But Bray Wyatt is a cool name !

Back