Bennie Advice

Eagles88

Reaction score
I'm a newbie to the pontoon world but love the versatility of them. We have our eyes on a 22 sslx with a yamaha 115 on it. Will this be enough power to pull tubes and enjoy basic water sports? A dealer in the area has this configuration in stock. Do you think it's enough power for a family who likes to have friends on their boat?

Welcome to the site! I'm going to assume since you are new to the pontoon world you are just starting to look at boats. My advice is do research before you buy. As for boat you are looking at it will do everything you want just not fast. Best of luck!

I'm a newbie to the pontoon world but love the versatility of them. We have our eyes on a 22 sslx with a yamaha 115 on it. Will this be enough power to pull tubes and enjoy basic water sports? A dealer in the area has this configuration in stock. Do you think it's enough power for a family who likes to have friends on their boat?
That engine, propped correctly, should get you mid to high 20's with an empty boat, will pull a tube and will be able to get around the lake just fine, even with several adults on board.

Having said that, if you have the option of going to a 150, you'd be happier. I personally consider a 150hp outboard to be the correct engine for a basic 22-25' pontoon boat with dual logs, partially on the theory that if you can't reliably get into the 30's with an empty boat you are going to feel like getting anywhere takes forever and you'll lose speed and towing/pulling ability pretty fast as you load up the boat. (This is also affected by how far down in the water your weight pushes your logs.)

I think you will be fine,,,, you won't be a speed demon but will be able to go in the low 30s... Good luck
More likely in the mid-20's..... less with a full load.

Hi Eagle,

2011 22SLI test

Why don't we let an expert tell you? Here is a 22SLI with Express and an F115. 34-36 mph with a light load and excellent driving! Without Express, expect 26-28 mph. This video link and many more can be found in our Performance area on the new website. (This was done about 18 months ago so you will here some dated information, but the peformance specs are dead-on.) :) TB

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the responses. According to the dealer I will need a tritoon configuration to handle a 150 and up. So many decisions. Thanks again for the info.

Back