Bennington Factory Tour

Gamelands

Reaction score
BenningtonTour.JPG We traveled to Elkhart, IN from Ohio last week and visited the Bennington facility to tour their factory. We were a week late on our own boat build, but the trip was well worth it as we had the opportunity see the entire manufacturing process and learn all the details of how our boat was constructed and assembled.

The tour was around 75 minutes and our tour guide, Dustin, did a great job in detailing the manufacturing steps and was very interested in ensuring that we had a great experience. The most interesting part of the tour was probably seeing how the toons were rolled and welded to their finished state. Didn't realize there were so many steps involved.

The plant was very busy (over 50 pontoons built daily) with most of the space dedicated to their S and SX product lines. We appreciated that the workers were friendly to us and really focused on their tasks. In addition, we saw that there were several quality control inspections built into the process to ensure there were no issues with the final product.

Scheduling the tour was easy and straightforward. You can contact Bennington through their web site to schedule the tour or obtain the contact through your dealer. They were able to provide us with the expected build date, but cautioned us that they can't guarantee that the production schedule will change. Unfortunately, we couldn't travel on the expected build date.

If you happen to travel through the Elkhart, IN area, I strongly recommend that you call Bennington in advance and try to schedule a tour. Having seen their manufacturing operation it affirmed our choice in Bennington. We were even given a Bennington swag bag at the end of the tour!

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for sharing! What are you getting, we need details?

Mike31406 - Following are the details. I think I included everything. It's our first boat. The boat should arrive at the dealer in a matter of days, but we won't take delivery until sometime in May when our dock is completed.

2018 Bennington 23 SSBXP w/Yamaha 200 2.8 L

Color: Sunset Red w/Champagne Accent Panel w/Sunset Red Canvas & Sandstone Interior w/Driftwood Accents

Options:
Accent Panel
Bimini LED Lighting
SS 4 Step Ladder
Pressed Diamond Pillowtop Upgrade 20% Cutout
R Series Captain Chair Upgrade
Elevated Helm
SS Swingback Rail Keeper
Bow Gate Seat
Trapezoid Zebrawood Slate Table Upgrade
Kicker KMC10 Stereo Upgrade
Swingback Stereo Remote
Garmin Striker 4 Graph
Vinyl Teak Slate Full Flooring
SPS Package w/Tilt Steering (Includes Rough Water Upgrade)
Dual Battery & Switch
Power Distribution Panel
Power Assisted Hydraulic Steering Upgrade
SS Docking Lights LED Upgrade
Heavy Duty Rub Rail w/SS Cleats Upgrade
SS Ski Tow Bar
Mooring Cover Storage Bag
Starboard Bow Cooler
Illuminated Kicker Speaker Upgrade x 4
Swingback Grill & Lighted Speakers
RGB Tow Kick Lighting
RGB Lighting and Switch Panel
RGB Cupholder Lighting
In Floor Storage
Master Power Switch
Chrome Dimensional Logos
Full Playpen Cover

Great build!

Nice build! You are going to have a great summer enjoying your new Bennington. This forum is a great place to ask all your questions. I would recommend taking a boaters safety course if you haven’t already done so.

Nice build! You are going to have a great summer enjoying your new Bennington. This forum is a great place to ask all your questions. I would recommend taking a boaters safety course if you haven’t already done so.

Thanks, Mike31406. I'm sure we will have a few questions! Yes, we have already taken the certified boating safety course through our state's DNR with our 17 year old and we are also requiring our adult children to take the course before they operate the boat. I appreciate you suggesting that!

You forgot the kitchen sink .... :D
I think you clicked every option .... nice build!!!

Thanks, Mike31406. I'm sure we will have a few questions! Yes, we have already taken the certified boating safety course through our state's DNR with our 17 year old and we are also requiring our adult children to take the course before they operate the boat. I appreciate you suggesting that!
You are way ahead of me. One more thing, I see you are building a dock, if it includes a lift insure you are supporting all three tubes.

Sounds like a great build.

I have a couple lifts (Poly Lift) that are of a similar design to the the one pictured above. One is for a vee bottom boat one is for a pontoon. When the side rails are attached in the up position (like the photo) it's for a vee bottom boat. When the lift is submerged the bolts (circled in red) are at about the water line give or take a few inches. On a regular vee bottom boat this isn't an issue, the boat will hit the dock befor the bolts would ever contact the hull, but on a pontoon with straight sides they can hit and dig into the sides of the pontoons. On a pontoon lift they install the side rails on the opposite sides which flips them over and puts the rails (and bolts) well under the water and impossible to hit the pontoons.
As I said mine are a different brand and I don't claim to be an expert, I just bring it up in case it's something you need to discuss with with Hydrohoist.

5eak1s.jpg

Pictures when available, please! You'll be making some great memories this summer...

I have a couple lifts (Poly Lift) that are of a similar design to the the one pictured above. One is for a vee bottom boat one is for a pontoon. When the side rails are attached in the up position (like the photo) it's for a vee bottom boat. When the lift is submerged the bolts (circled in red) are at about the water line give or take a few inches. On a regular vee bottom boat this isn't an issue, the boat will hit the dock befor the bolts would ever contact the hull, but on a pontoon with straight sides they can hit and dig into the sides of the pontoons. On a pontoon lift they install the side rails on the opposite sides which flips them over and puts the rails (and bolts) well under the water and impossible to hit the pontoons.
As I said mine are a different brand and I don't claim to be an expert, I just bring it up in case it's something you need to discuss with with Hydrohoist.

5eak1s.jpg
Totally agree. I had same type lift for my old deck boat and my lift guy recommended different style of hydrohoist lift for the exact same reasons for our new Benny. The side rails are beneath the level of the poly floats with new lift which he was able to find slightly used. I would definitely look into it. Enjoy that boat. It looks to be a beautiful build!!

5eak1s.jpg

Thanks for the heads up! Yes, I was able to confirm with the installer that the pitman arms (side rails) will definitely be in the down position in my slip!

Back