Bennington performance configurations

Roo Raft

Reaction score
I am looking to see what fellow Bennington Club members have to say about the different performance configurations that are available.  the main use of my bennington is to have family and friends on the vessel and possibly tow a tube every now and then.  have stability and maneuverability.   What would be the performance configuration you would recommend:

32" Twin Elliptical

Express

SPS / SPS+

ESP

The model I like is the stern radius and maybe even a Fastback., most likely a 24' SX Premium or G, maybe an R if the price is right with a 115 to 150hp outboard.  

also, not sure how much one performance configurations versus another may add to the cost of the overall vessel.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say SPS and 150 for bargain performance. If you go ESP then at least a 250. Get 115 out of your vocabulary.   :p Also think about power assisted steering. My $.02

Bunch of 115 haters around here... :) but I agree.  At a minimum 150 & SPS @ 22', 200@ 24'.  I've said it before and I will say it again, these things are a BLAST.  We do exactly what you are wanting to do and the SSRX is perfect to load up with people or have a lounger style to kick back when its not so crowded.

Had all my kids and grandkids stay with us for a week over the 4th.  Had 15 on our tritoon and pulled a tube. Kids all had a blast and not once did I hear "go faster papa.!  Definitely minimum 150 with SPS.

Had all my kids and grandkids stay with us for a week over the 4th.  Had 15 on our tritoon and pulled a tube. Kids all had a blast and not once did I hear "go faster papa.!  Definitely minimum 150 with SPS.

Wow! 15 on the boat! Think the most we ever had was 10 adults on ours.

I see you're on Lake Greenwood. I was very close to you all today. I drove the almost 2 1/2 hrs. to Newberry from Lake Norman this morning to buy a geriatric chair for my Mom. Took 77 down and cut over on 200/34 and ran right into Newberry. Nice area.

The 200 on the SPS is pretty awesome. Don't rule it out depending on your budget.

Wow! 15 on the boat! The think the most we ever had was 10 adults on ours.

I see you're on Lake Greenwood. I was very close to you all today. I drove the almost 2 1/2 hrs. to Newberry from Lake Norman this morning to buy a geriatric chair for my Mom. Took 77 down and cut over on 200/34 and ran right into Newberry. Nice area.

I was surprised it did as well as it did.  We all had a great time.  Next time you are coming to our area let me know and we will introduce you to our lake.

Wow! 15 on the boat! The think the most we ever had was 10 adults on ours.

Dave had 15 on his boat once, kid on shore playing with his RC boat asked if he need a tow!! 

Sorry Dave! Me and my Storage Queen should shut up, wish I got out as much as you! 

Where do you boat?  Is it big water or rough water?  Unless you are on a small lake I think the third toon is nearly mandatory if you are going to have more than a few people on regularly and want to tube from time to time. The buoyancy and smooth ride is fantastic with the SPS for 90% of applications in my opinion.  And the tubing will be much better with the turning performance.  My SPS with 200 evinrude can run at 40 mph with 9 people on board and turns nearly as well as a v-hull.  Our lake has every type of bennington on it and the SPS/150's are all over and perform really well for the money.   Personally I really like the look and design of the stern radius with the fastback rails.  A lot of seating capacity and smooth lines.

+1 on going for the f200 with the sps package. We love ours.

Having owned a 115 I can say this, it's like a reese's cup with no peanut butter inside.

SPS and biggest motor you can afford. Love our 150 and sps.

Headed to Lewis and Clark Lake in SD. Can't wait. 16th year in a row.

I agree with everyone above.  SPS and 150 + depending on budget.  It will give you flexibility for every use scenario over time as your uses of the boat evolve.  We went with an SPS 200 hp, swing back, and LOVE IT.

If you just want to go out and float or anchor, get 2 basic pontoons and a 20 HP and put all your money into upgrading the "luxury" of the boat before you start thinking about hull and motor size.

If you want to do water sports (which you will if you have kids or grandkids) and/or want performance, then get SPS and 150 minimum. 

If you have money to do both (power and luxury), then don't bother reading this.

I have the Express, and am now an ex-115 owner.  It's not that I dislike the Express (I have nothing bad to say, and it does ride bow-high which has advantages), but now that SPS is available as an option, the SPS is a no brainer.  Not sure why they even make the Express anymore.  Don't confuse Express with the Elipticals if you are new to this site.  They are two completely different things.  Ellipticals are the fastest straight-line hull, and are still a viable hull option.  Express doesn't make sense to me anymore.

SPS wasn't available yet in 2011 when we bought ours.  And ESP was a big price jump.  The 115 motor size is evil for pontoon boats.  It teases you by being over "100", but it does NOT perform.  A 150 is like having two 115s, even though the math doesn't work.  Go drive one of each.  I would be several thousand $ richer had I done that in the first place.

Kaydano it was your long article on 115 vs 150 that tipped the scales on my decision to go with the 150.  But it also caused me to dig deeper in our pockets.  No regrets, we love it.  Thank you!!!

I have ellipticals with a 200 yamaha and couldn't be happier. I had 10 people on her last weekend and still got 35 miles an hour out of her and sat very nicely on the water. I'm sure 3 tooms turns better but I got no complaints. Should be perfect after I install the power assist this week. 

Don't forget the pics of the install.

I will. Anyone here done one themselves??? Would love to ask them about the bleeding procedure. Moving the battery  to under the seat in front of the helm also. Adding a second and isolator as well. Cofiguration of the seats always ends up with more weight on the right and with the 200 sits down in the back as well so I figured move em to the right side in the middle. Also will open up my rear battery compartment to be used for a rear anchor. 

Back