Bennington Shopping... need advice

Fltcrew

Reaction score
I am looking for a Bennington that has a long enough walk through that will allow me to mount swivel seats and a trolling motor outside the fence. I have had this setup before in an older Crest and I liked it. Everything removes in 2 minutes for family time.

Anyway, I have located 2 used Bennington boats that may work.

One is a 2014 2550 RCL with a 200 Vmax and the other is a 2017 23 GSB with a 250 Vmax.

I like the 2550 RCL the best.... everything about it including the color and layout but it is 500 lbs. heavier and has 50 less HP!

Forget fishing for now. Most of the boating will be with family on Pickwick Lake which gets as rough as lake Lanier on the weekends. Hence the Tri-toon..... I would be miserable plowing through the water in an underpowered pontoon boat.

I understand no one cruises at full throttle. I understand these are not speed boats. But I drive a Manitou with SHP and a 200 Vmax on Saturday and it was not very exciting. I got 38-39mph on the GPS with 2 big men and the gas gauge nearly on empty. Prop blew out on shallow turns at full power. I drove 7 hours ONE WAY to basically test ride and buy this boat and I passed.

Can anyone on here give me an idea of what top speed I would get out of each of these boats? Say with 3 adults and 1/2 tank of gas?

I don't have to go 50... but 38 is not for me. I would like to have a boat that will run in the mid 40's if conditions are right.

Thanks

Buy the 250....I have a similar set up g2250 with a 250 and can run fifty light but no problem in the mid forties completely loaded up.

Buy the 250....I have a similar set up g2250 with a 250 and can run fifty light but no problem in the mid forties completely loaded up.
We like the luxuriousness of the RCL, the trailer, the front deck length and the color... the only thing we like about the G30 is the 250 and I think it has the ESP and power steering.

The current owners of the 2550 RCL say they get 43-44 with just him and his wife. If the 200 SHO can do that (and that may be a big if) we would be happy with that.

I wish someone with a 25 footer and a 200 could give some examples of what they are doing at WOT.

My 2550 rcw with a 250 verado would barely get to low 40ish other than just empty. It is a 2010 esp. I sent the computer off and re proped accordingly and hit 49 now. There may be an option for that on the 200. Other wise I don’t feel like you will be happy with that boat and motor. I am on Kentucky lake so I understand your rough water needs.

I would be surprised that the current owners of the RCL see 43 mph on that boat. It’s a fairly heavy boat. On my MUCH LIGHTER 24’ SSBXP SPS, I could get up to 44 mph on a light load, with my prop dialed in. I think I could have gotten maybe 1-2mph if I raised my motor up one hole. With an RCL and 200 HP SHO, my guess would be 37-42 mph. That’s completely a guess based on my boat.

Are you able to conveniently water test both boats?

If the R is a sps hull and g is an esp the weight may not be too different. But if Pickwick is as rough as you say I’d really lean toward the esp. not a knock at all at sps/200 as I think that may be the best bang for buck there is. But that big center tube may give you a bit more stability. Also, if the manitou and 200 bored you I think you’ll always second guess yourself if you don’t get the extra ponies. I know I’m a power freak and wouldn’t have been satisfied if I didn’t max out my hull.

I would be surprised that the current owners of the RCL see 43 mph on that boat. It’s a fairly heavy boat. On my MUCH LIGHTER 24’ SSBXP SPS, I could get up to 44 mph on a light load, with my prop dialed in. I think I could have gotten maybe 1-2mph if I raised my motor up one hole. With an RCL and 200 HP SHO, my guess would be 37-42 mph. That’s completely a guess based on my boat.

Are you able to conveniently water test both boats?[/QUOTEN

No I can't. There are many pontoons for sale around me but 1 out of 50 have a large front deck. Out of those, I see 18-20' boats or completely underpowered Tri-toons.

This boat is in NJ and would have to be shipped
If the R is a sps hull and g is an esp the weight may not be too different. But if Pickwick is as rough as you say I’d really lean toward the esp. not a knock at all at sps/200 as I think that may be the best bang for buck there is. But that big center tube may give you a bit more stability. Also, if the manitou and 200 bored you I think you’ll always second guess yourself if you don’t get the extra ponies. I know I’m a power freak and wouldn’t have been satisfied if I didn’t max out my hull.

Yeah IDK what was up with the Manitou. It ran smooth but was set up for a 100 meter dash. Good out of the hole I guess but topped at 38-39 and W-I-D-E turns caused the prop to blow out at every conceivable trim setting. I have read the SHO is a short shaft OB... I didn't notice if it could be lowered or not.

Also the max RPM I saw was about 5500 and the most disturbing of all... I set the tach at 3000 rpm to see what speed I got and it was bow high and 16-18mph not a comfortable ride.

My 2275 RCW with ESP and a 200 SHO was in the 42-44mph range, so a few extra feet could make a difference. I always laugh that the 2275 is seen as a 22' boat, yet I think tip to tail (back of motor) it was right around 27' long!! Haha

I confirmed this afternoon that the 2550 RCL in question does have the ESP tubes. It is loaded including electric Bimini and matching Bennington trailer so I made a play for it and now we have a deal.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I confirmed this afternoon that the 2550 RCL in question does have the ESP tubes. It is loaded including electric Bimini and matching Bennington trailer so I made a play for it and now we have a deal.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Congratulations. You’ll have to post some pictures once you get it.

Congrats man. Sounds like that r is loaded up. My guess is you will enjoy the extra space and all the extras more than you will a few mphs. If I’m wrong, call Wayne at hydro tech marine performance in Missouri and flash that ecu to 300 hp......ask me how I know. Enjoy that boat!

Congrats man. Sounds like that r is loaded up. My guess is you will enjoy the extra space and all the extras more than you will a few mphs. If I’m wrong, call Wayne at hydro tech marine performance in Missouri and flash that ecu to 300 hp......ask me how I know. Enjoy that boat!

If the performance gets old, flashing will be my first bu plan. Second will be selling or trading the 200 SHO for something big. The engine only has 95 hours I believe so there should be some decent value there to trade with.

sounds like a nice boat. Looking forward to seeing the pics!

The prop that was on the boat when I bought it was a Yamaha Reliance 14.5X15 3 blade....Slippage was crazy bad... like 30% and it was like riding a bike down hill in 1st gear. It would rev to 6200 rpm and took over 5000rpm to cruise flat on plane or pull the tube with any speed at all.

I tried a 4 blade Solas prop this weekend that was also 14.5X15 but had 4 blades. I think I was told it would reduce the RPM about 200-300 for the extra blade but that was not the case. I now get 5200-5300 rpm... I drop of what?....800-900 rpm by adding a blade. Granted it was a different brand but still.

Anyway, performance wise, it was a big upgrade. I could cruise at 4000rpm instead of 5500 and although it goes through gas faster than any boat I have ever seen, it is better than it was. I would be happy with the hole shot and cruising but I can't leave those 700-800 rpm on the table for top end.

The load was 4 adults and full fuel. I was hoping and expecting the rpm to increase closer to 6000 as I burned off fuel but I made it down to between 1/4 and 1/2 tank Saturday and the RPM did not increase at all.

I am going to call the shop that recommended it to to me and see what a logical next step would be. I nicked this one the second day out so I own it but those Solas props are so cheap, I wouldn't mind buying another one and using this for a spare.

Best speed I was able to get was 34mph at 5250 rpm. Hole shot was good and cruising was smooth and quite but unless I can get closer to the max rpm with less than half fuel and 4 people, I don't feel like I have the right prop still.

Definitely get it propped correctly. I’m not much help since it is a Yamaha but enertia props by mercury may be worth a try if you can get your hands on one. My verado burns the fuel all so. I put 66 gallons in it the other day. I think we came in on prayers only. We had done burned the fumes.

Definitely get it propped correctly. I’m not much help since it is a Yamaha but enertia props by mercury may be worth a try if you can get your hands on one. My verado burns the fuel all so. I put 66 gallons in it the other day. I think we came in on prayers only. We had done burned the fumes.
66 gallons? How big is the tank?

I think I'd recommend contacting Phil at propgods.com. Someone else I know was struggling with poor performance but was able to "right the ship" after a consultation with Phil. Can't hurt and doesn't the advise is free.

I think I'd recommend contacting Phil at propgods.com. Someone else I know was struggling with poor performance but was able to "right the ship" after a consultation with Phil. Can't hurt and doesn't the advise is free.

That can be my next move if necessary. I ordered a Solas (back to a 3 blade) yesterday. It is a 14.25x17.

Since I was turning 6200 on 14.5x15 3 blade, I and there aren't a lot of choices on low pitch 4 blades, I decided to go back to a 3 blade, drop the diameter just 1/4 inch but go up 2 degrees of pitch.

The performance prop shop in Nashville has been in business for 35 years and they don't like the Enertia props on lower pitches. I asked what lower pitch meant to them and they said less than 17.

Tracking info shows the prop will be here before I head to the Tickfaw River in Louisiana for Labor Day weekend. I will have the new 3 blade Solas on but take the 4 blade version because I know that is good if not just acceptable.

I don't know the size of my tank because I just bought it with 95 hours on it but I feel like it is around 35 gallons. I have only had it on the water 3 times and each time I left with a full tank and each time I came back with less than half. I pulled a 2 person inflatable some on each of the 3 days and also ran about 18 miles down the lake and back (ducking in a cove or 2 on the way)

I can see why people run to their favorite cove and anchor most of the day on their Lilly Pads, drinking beer and dousing yourself in sun screen is cheaper than $80/day in fuel!

I'm not used to that. My bass boat had a 250 but weighed less and had no drag... it sipped fuel. Plus I was on the trolling motor fishing most of the time. I filled that thing. up 5-6 times a year. I'm 3 for 3 on the Tr-Toon!!

Back