Bennington Trailer and Brakes

Fltcrew

Reaction score
I took my trailer to the shop because my surge brakes didn't seem to be working anymore. I want to say that I have never owned a pontoon boat with trailer brakes but I have had half a dozen Ranger Bass boats with surge brakes.. the last one had disc brakes on both axles.

Bennington Trailers (and I know they don't build them themselves but ARE made to their specs) are not only drum brakes but my big R25 only has them on the front axle. What I really wanted to say is that mine doesn't have a solenoid to release the brakes in reverse! I didn't believe the shop... I made them take the actuator out and show me. Apparently there are surge brakes like this to save money, you have to use the brake lockout tool to backup because the tow vehicle reverse lights don't do anything. I have never heard of such a ghetto setup!

On top of that, I asked them to replace the carpet on the trailer bunks since they are 4 years old and getting thin in a few areas.... They called to say the wood was split under the carpet and should be replaced or I would have to rip the new carpet off in a year and replace them. I said ok and when I picked it up, they said the manufacturer didn't even use pressure treated 2X4s!!! They were just regular lumber and if that wasn't enough... apparently they did not drill pilot holes for the lag type bolts and the boards got split immediately at installation and were just covered up by marine carpet.

The shop I used replaced all with pressure treated 2X4s, drilled pilot holes so they did not split and then covered that with my new bunk carpet.

I'm rocking the ghetto surge brake setup. Pain to get back there and flip the lock out lever but I haven't had any issues.

I'm rocking the ghetto surge brake setup. Pain to get back there and flip the lock out lever but I haven't had any issues.

Yeah, I can't believe a luxury pontoon boat manufacturer would have their customers have to do that.

My first Bennington trailer had drum brakes on one axle. The drums were free rolling when you backed up.
The new Bennington has a Heritage trailer with disc brakes on both axles and what a difference. Back up solenoid too. I wouldn't want a single brake axle trailer again or drums. When you plugged the trailer into the truck didn't you notice it only had 4 wires instead of 5?
I've never used pressure treated lumber on my bunks. When you got the new carpet for the bunks did they use stainless steel staples?
You didn't mention anything about the lights. So far, it sounds like a budget trailer and I'm guessing no LED lights either

Would pressure treated wood possible have a reaction with the pontoon? Maybe the carpet would protect it.

Yeah, I can't believe a luxury pontoon boat manufacturer would have their customers have to do that.

They don’t make the trailers! Bennington has nothing to do with it.

Would pressure treated wood possible have a reaction with the pontoon? Maybe the carpet would protect it.

MCA or MCQ treated is aluminum contact rated. ACQ and CA treated us not. Even if you put carpet on ACQ or CA the treatment could wick through the carpet. Only use approved treated, composite or plastic covered “non approved” treated.

When I replaced the boards on my trailer a few years ago I was told to use just regular lumber and NOT pressure treated wood. Because the chemicals used in the treatment process would react with the aluminum pontoons......

When I replaced the boards on my trailer a few years ago I was told to use just regular lumber and NOT pressure treated wood. Because the chemicals used in the treatment process would react with the aluminum pontoons......

Yeah, some areas may still have the old style, but I’d think the demand is very low.

I will never put carpet back on my bunks. It stays wet a long time and gets moldy, plus the wood stays wet and rots quicker. Even treated wood rots over time.

When my carpet was shot, I replaced it with 1x4 PVC boards (screwed to the top of the 2x4s of course). It makes the boat much easier to load and unload since they are much more slippery compared to carpet. Our Marina valet prefers them to carpet because loadng is easier.

This also solves the treated wood in contact with aluminum problem.

Back