Best 200hp motor... without breaking bank?

peeruwp

Reaction score
Dealer is currently quoting me the F200 xb yamaha for my to be built 23SSRX tritoon with SPS package. Is there a motor I should be considering in that price range that would produce more?

The new Mercury engine is pretty nice. Now is the time to buy all the HP you can afford...

F200 2.8L is a great choice to get a balance between performance and fuel economy, IMO.
Most commonly recommend prop is the Yamaha Reliance SDS 14.5 x 15...for any 2.8L Yamaha engine (150, 175, or 200).

The VMax 4.2L or Merc 200 have the ability to turn a little larger/more pitch prop, resulting in a bit more hole shot and a few more MPH top speed, but you will sacrifice a bit of fuel economy at higher RPM.

Regardless of brand, any 200 with the correct prop will probably push a 22-23' pontoon into the upper 30s to low 40s MPH range, in favorable conditions.

I echo DeejaWiz and Michiman said above. The F200 is a good choice as mentioned above for balancing a little fuel efficiency with still good performance and reliability. If looking to totally maximize performance in a 200HP outboard, then the Mercury Verado or Yamaha VMax is the way to go. They outperform all other 200HP outboards in the 200HP segment.

The only thing I will add, and I cannot stress it enough, all the 200HP motors of the various manufactures are good motors. Good motors!

Thus, perhaps MORE IMPORTNAT than the above performance based advise is this: What does your local dealer service? Whatever they specialize and are certified in servicing is what I would recommend going with. I say that since all of them are pretty darn solid at 200HP, so I’d go with which ever brand I can most easy get serviced locally.

My 200HP Mercury Verado Pro with the supercharger is awesome! We love it! Mercury is what my local dealer services, so I got the best Merc I could for my boat (max rating is 200HP). If my dealer serviced Yamaha, Suzuki, or Honda....well I’d have one of them hanging off the back. They’re all solid, and performance is within a few mph between one another.

That‘s my 2 cents...which is probalby worth half that compared to other smart people in this forum.

I’ve had an f200xb on the back of mine for almost 7 years now. Thing is a workhorse and has never missed a beat and has only needed regular maintenance (fluid changes, impeller at 300 hrs etc)

Back