Best Combination for Skiing & Tubing

ttbowhunter

Reaction score
I currently have a GSR 2250 with the sport tri-toon and a 115 4 stroke yamaha. I've been very disapointed in the performance of this set up & looking for something new. With that being said I'm looking for some advice from current owners. What do you have that you ski & tube with that works well? What toon set up, horsepower & what do you get for top end speed? Details would be greatly appreciated. I made a mistake the first time and want to get it right this time.

Depending on how much you want to spend, minimum 150 with SPS, only 5 mph difference (roughly) for every 50hp more you add. 150 should get you to around the 40mph mark. ESP is the best option, probably a 200hp would suit it just fine depending on how many homie's you roll with on the lake. My 200hp ESP was about 42-44 mph, my 250hp was around 44.6-45 (but it had a ton of extra weight from the Sport Tower and batteries) some were getting up to 49 on the 250

Same as what Derrick said, minimum 150 and sps.

Have a 24’ SSLX with SPS and a 200hp Evinrude. Came from a runabout and have never looked back...... well not for those reasons! ;) The ESP hull would turn even better but I personally wouldn’t go that direction without a 250hp due to the heavier hull/boat. I’m sure you’d be surprised how much difference moving up to a 150 would be yet a 200/250. Best of luck building your next boat!!

Ditto the above three sets of comments. They are spot on. I’d either be thinking 150-200 with and SPS, or a 250+ and ESP. Just comes down to budget really.

We have a 24’ SSBXP SPS 200hp Mercury Verado. We do tubing, and are playing around with trying to water ski. It has serious, and often unutilized, power for them both. We love it!

We have a GSR 150 with SPS and rarely hear any of the eight grandkids say “go faster.” Of course they are all under 12. It more than meets our needs.

Like others have said, it all depends on how much you want to spend. I have a 2575RL, with a 300hp Yamaha (full details below). We have pulled twin tubes (2 on each) with 6 or so on board and they get the ride of their lives. We have pulled 7 skiers with three on board and had no issues getting them out of the water. I believe this forum is a wealth of information. Read everyone's post, take notes, and you will be able to come up with the best configuration that you can afford.

I can't speak from experience but from what I've learned on this board since joining in 2016, an SPS with a 150 hanging off the back gives you the most bang for the buck. I have yet to hear those owners say they didn't love that platform, which speaks volumes in my opinion. Yes, you can also go much bigger but not without a proportional cost. Good luck with P.A.D.S.!

Running a 150 HP and ESP. Love it for watersports.

If I were doing more water skiing, I would want something more powerful engine-wise to handle more passengers during ski time. Go with a 225+ if it's skiing. For kneeboarding, tubing, Big Mable, general fun, the 150 HP on an ESP or probably an SPS are more than adequate.

Thanks everyone. I too have started to notice a trend. It seems like I either stick with the SPS / 150 hp or I go much farther north of that with ESP / 300+.

I stopped at a bennington dealer this weekend and the owner (who seemed very knowledgeable & nice) told me for what I'm looking for he would suggest I stick with a straight forward two 25" tubes with a 150hp & under deck wave shield. He claimed I can expect mid to upper 30's with that set up. He said personally their dealership won't sell any tritoon unless it's a minimum 200 hp and they prefer the 300 hp. Anyone have any replies or response to what I'm hearing?? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

He said “they wont sell any tritoon unless its a minimum of 200hp”? Hmm... I honestly don’t even understand a dealer saying something like that. I mean no disrespect, but that is a pretty ridiculous statement in my mind. I guess their sales volume is so high he can afford to dictate the boats they are “willing” to sell...?

If you go through these forums, 150hp SPS is perhaps one of the more popular combinations, and loved by most that have it. We have a 200hp SPS, and we really like it. However, the 150hp trtoon is a great spot for performance and cost.

To be honest, I personally would not spend money on a 150hp, and then stick it on a two toon set up. You just are giving up WAY too much performance, speed, comfort, and handling as compared to dropping that motor on an SPS tritoon hull. To me, a 150hp motor on a dual toon hull is a “why bother” configuration. If I am at a 115hp or higher, I’d only want to do it with a tritoon.

Now, if you can afford to go big, and do a 300hp on a tritoon, without reservation, that would be a kick butt boat. No doubt about it, that is going to be a phenomal performer. However, that is a massive price point difference as well.

He said “they wont sell any tritoon unless its a minimum of 200hp”? Hmm... I honestly don’t even understand a dealer saying something like that. I mean no disrespect, but that is a pretty ridiculous statement in my mind. I guess their sales volume is so high he can afford to dictate the boats they are “willing” to sell...?

If you go through these forums, 150hp SPS is perhaps one of the more popular combinations, and loved by most that have it. We have a 200hp SPS, and we really like it. However, the 150hp trtoon is a great spot for performance and cost.

To be honest, I personally would not spend money on a 150hp, and then stick it on a two toon set up. You just are giving up WAY too much performance, speed, comfort, and handling as compared to dropping that motor on an SPS tritoon hull. To me, a 150hp motor on a dual toon hull is a “why bother” configuration. If I am at a 115hp or higher, I’d only want to do it with a tritoon.

Now, if you can afford to go big, and do a 300hp on a tritoon, without reservation, that would be a kick butt boat. No doubt about it, that is going to be a phenomal performer. However, that is a massive price point difference as well.

Thanks for the advice. I tend to agree with your assessment of the dealer. Can you tell me what boat you have and the performance you get with your SPS & 200hp? What make motor?

Scroll back up and read my previous comment. THAT is real world performance, and real expectations of those setups. 150 SPS is a GREAT setup for the least amount. I absolutely loved my ESP with a 200, and would have kept it and been extremely happy had they not come out with the Sport Tower the following year!! :) I was going to order the 200 again on it, but the wife said she didn't want another reason to upgrade again, so get the 250hp.

The absolute best bang for your buck is a 150 SPS, if you decided your wallet was a little too thick and want to spend more, then an ESP is unmatched in handling and ride quality and a 200 is definitely enjoyable and enough for that 42-44 mph speed. I will say again, if you ALWAYS have 10 people on board then yes, you may want to increase the hp, but if you are normally a 2-4 person cruise, a 200 or 250 is more than enough.

I'll get some raised eyes for this next statement but, Very few people would actually NEED a 300 or bigger. Unless you are out in LOTO with a 25' with 10 of your closest friends, you don't NEED a 300. As stated, your top speed is only going to be around 50-52 mph with an empty boat. Some on a 22' are hitting 49 with a 250hp!

Keep in mind, it's not like you are going to be cruising at 49 very often! We all do our "how fast can I go" runs for a little while, but mostly you'll be in the 30-35 range with friends on board.

The dealer obviously didn't listen to how you said you wanted to use the boat, or he wouldn't have recommended a 2 toon setup. Every word I've said is the spot on true reality of the situation. So once again, least amount of money with great satisfaction, SPS 150. Have a little more in the wallet SPS 200. Want a little lighter wallet to get even better performance, ESP with a 200 will get you what you need, and a 250 will cover almost every situation. Anybody telling you different, well quite frankly, they are wrong. I've had all these boats (except the 150 SPS but have been on here MORE than long enough to know that no one has really ever complained about it not being enough) and this REALLY long post is the real answers to your questions.

Thanks for the advice. I tend to agree with your assessment of the dealer. Can you tell me what boat you have and the performance you get with your SPS & 200hp? What make motor?

First, Derrick’s post above gives great experienced information to think about. He know’s a lot. I do not beyond what I have largely learned from him and others on here. However, I also wanted to answer your questions about my boat/performance.

My Set Up: 24’ s-series Bennington. SSBXP configuration, with the SPS tritoon hull. 200hp Mercury Verado Pro for motor. 16p Enertia prop dials in my RPM’s at WOT properly (I might be able to squeeze a little more performance out of a 17p, but I never tried it). Prop type and engine mount is set for multipurpose use leaning slightly towards maximizing speed. My Mercury Verado is a quiet runner, with good hole shot and a great acceleration arc up to WOT (which is probably true of every 150hp+ motor/manufacturer these days).

WOT Performance (1/2 tank of gas or less, smooth water conditions):
1-2 people: 43-44 mph
3-5 people: 39-42 mph
6-10 people: 36-38 mph

Full tank of gas:
1-2 people: 40-42 mph
3-5 people: 37-39
6-10 people: 35-37

Thanks everyone. I too have started to notice a trend. It seems like I either stick with the SPS / 150 hp or I go much farther north of that with ESP / 300+.

I stopped at a bennington dealer this weekend and the owner (who seemed very knowledgeable & nice) told me for what I'm looking for he would suggest I stick with a straight forward two 25" tubes with a 150hp & under deck wave shield. He claimed I can expect mid to upper 30's with that set up. He said personally their dealership won't sell any tritoon unless it's a minimum 200 hp and they prefer the 300 hp. Anyone have any replies or response to what I'm hearing?? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
If there was an “unlike” for your dealers opinion I would use it!

First, Derrick’s post above gives great experienced information to think about. He know’s a lot. I do not beyond what I have largely learned from him and others on here. However, I also wanted to answer your questions about my boat/performance.

My Set Up: 24’ s-series Bennington. SSBXP configuration, with the SPS tritoon hull. 200hp Mercury Verado Pro for motor. 16p Enertia prop dials in my RPM’s at WOT properly (I might be able to squeeze a little more performance out of a 17p, but I never tried it). Prop type and engine mount is set for multipurpose use leaning slightly towards maximizing speed. My Mercury Verado is a quiet runner, with good hole shot and a great acceleration arc up to WOT (which is probably true of every 150hp+ motor/manufacturer these days).

WOT Performance (1/2 tank of gas or less, smooth water conditions):
1-2 people: 43-44 mph
3-5 people: 39-42 mph
6-10 people: 36-38 mph

Full tank of gas:
1-2 people: 40-42 mph
3-5 people: 37-39
6-10 people: 35-37

Jeff & Derrick. Thanks guys, that's exactly the type of no B.S. actual water experience I'm looking for. One more questions. What about the hydraulic power assist steering? Do you recommend it?? Or is the SeaStart enough? I have SeaStar now on my 115, but think the larger motors may require more. What's your experiences?

I test drove a 115 and 150 with SeaStar when shopping in 2016. Went with the full power assist steering with our boat. I wouldn’t go any other way with a 150hp or more. The full power assist steering is AMAZING! In particular, if you will do any water sports, and particularly tubing, it just makes the experience so much better. It turns very easily and smoothly. No effort required, which keeps water sports more enjoyable for this dad when he is behind the wheel off and on all day with kids tubing. :D

Also, although unsolicited, an extended aft deck is SOOOO handy. It facilitates covering the boat, room for kids getting in and out swimming, spot to organize/manage/handle skis and tubes for water sports, etc.... I would not have put much thought into that option if not for this forum when I ordered.

So if considering a few other options, I cannot more strongly recommend BOTH the extended aft deck along with the power assist steering. They are both super handy, convenient, and nice if you have family, friends, kids, or water sports in mind.

Super, that’s what I was thinking. And I already have the aft deck and could not agree with you more. I wouldn’t ever be without it.

Now one more twist, any thoughts regarding the Evinrude E-tecs? It seems like people that own them love them. Low maintenance, a lot of power & lighter in weight (at least that’s what I keep hearing). Thoughts??

Back