Best engine for 24 SX

Cman

Reaction score
What's the best all round engine for a 24' SX with SPS? Looking for 30+ cruising speed without having to push engine too hard. Not terribly concerned with fuel economy. Any reason why I shouldn't consider a 2-stroke (Merc Optimax)? Yamaha in line 4 vs. 3.3L vs. VMax.  Keep in mind, this boat max's out at 200hp. Appreciate your real world experience comments.

I have the 2.8L Yamaha 200 and it is a beast in my opinion. Pulls hard and cruises great. I don't think you can throw a 6 cylinder 200 out back unless you have esp. My top speed has been 43.8. If I was on bigger water and more room I would probably see more. On a 260 acre lake you run out of room pretty quick!

200  :D

Go with the Evinrude Etec 200 G2. 2-stroke motor with tons of power and performance. The motor also is a 5 year ZERO maintenance motor and has a 2 gallon direct injection tank. I have the 250 version and I am getting 49 mph on gps.

Not sure on the beat, but I'm running a Merc150 and it runs pretty good. 38 mph with just my family on board

Best size?  Or best brand?

If size, get the biggest you can afford.  Ask me how I know.  Or dig back through my old posts about 1.5 years ago.

If its brand, they are too close to call in my opinion.  Base your decision more on what the local shops in your area will work on.  Winterizing is a piece of cake.  They can all do that on any brand.  You want one close by that will do difficult work if you have real problems (warranty work).  Start with what your dealer sells.

If you are looking for 2 vs 4 stroke, then there are lots of threads on the pros and cons, which largely depend on how you think you will use the motor.  If you do your own maintenence (like I do) then the Merc 150 fourstroke is about as easy as a four stroke gets.

A 115 will get you the speed you are looking for, for thousands less than a 150.  But, 115s are evil.

I have a 24 SSL with Express.  Similar to your boat.  See my signature for stats.  I had both a 115 (did I say it was evil?) and the 150 which I love (and is as big as my boat will go).

Top end on the 150 vs 115 isn't much more on paper, but with a heavy boat or tubing, it shines big time.

RPM for RPM, my 150 uses LESS fuel than my 115 did.  I kept pretty good records on that sort of thing.  That is until the 150 surpasses the max speed of the 115, then the 150 drinks more.  But it goes faster, so that is expected.  At all speeds both could do, the 150 breathed easier, and used LESS fuel.  THAT was a pleasant surprise for me when gas was close to $6 per gallon (marina price).

Don't get less than 150.  The next guy won't buy your boat if it has a 115 on it.  Okay maybe, but it will be easier to sell when you get PADS.

Last edited by a moderator:
They should not make 115 hp engines and should not build boats that max HP is 115 hp.  I just had a thought, can you take a 115 rated 2 toon boat and have Benny change the capacity label to allow a 150 hp engine. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back