Best Engine to get for 2014 QCW I/O

boatforall

Reaction score
We are ordering a 2014 2575 QCW I/O with sport tower today!   Our last decision is whether to order the 377 Mag w/320 hp or the 430 HP 8.2L.?   We want to pull skiers and wake boarders as well as cruise.  We will have 5-10 people on board quite often.  Does anyone have any experience with the 380 HP 8.2L?

Also, can someone explain what  the 3 digital throttle shift is and is it a necessary upgrade?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome and congrats! There are several on the board here with the 25' Q I/O and I think most have the big block 8.2L, either 380 or 430hp, so perhaps they'll speak up here. DTS is Merc's drive by wire, which is required on all the Verado outboards and the bigger I/O's such as yours. I love mine, as it is smooth and very quiet shifting.

Ahhh, the age old question, how big of motor. Either are going to be amazing, comes down to if you want to be able to say, "I'm packing 430hp in this thing!!!" hehe one thing to keep in mind the engine cover (step up at the rear loungers) will be 9" high instead of 6". I would get the 430HP if I could, but I'd have to sell my house and the Caddy!! Good luck!

Bulldogs 

Ahhh, the age old question, how big of motor. Either are going to be amazing, comes down to if you want to be able to say, "I'm packing 430hp in this thing!!!" hehe one thing to keep in mind the engine cover (step up at the rear loungers) will be 9" high instead of 6". I would get the 430HP if I could, but I'd have to sell my house and the Caddy!! Good luck!
Thanks for your reply, I do have one question, do you mean with the 430 hp the step up to rear lounger will go to 9" instead of 6" with the 320hp?

Thanks for your reply, BulldogsCadillac,  I do have one question, do you mean with the 430 hp the step up to rear lounger will go to 9" instead of 6" with the 320hp?

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe it is only with the 8.2L power plant that it goes up to 9", could be wrong.

The big block engines are taller and require that the step (engine cover) be higher for them to fit.

We have the 300hp - 350ci mercury.  We can have 8 people on board and pull skiers/tubers.  We have propped the boat for holeshot and mid range.  We are not the fastest I/O on the lake but it works for us.  You will enjoy either but the 8.2l would give you greater top end and bragging rights on the lake. If you get the 320hp make sure you get the dual props. 

My close friend has a 28' Cobalt v hull bowrider with the 8.2 liter engine and DuoProp.  He lives about 12 miles from the nearest gas pump on our lake.  By the time he goes and gets fuel and returns home, his gas gauge is down substantially--@ 2 mpg.

There's a financial breaking point in boating, and a big block is past that point of no return in operating costs.

Now imagine if you owned a Cruiser Diesel with a 1000 gallon capacity ...... Doesn't seem so bad now....... :)

Back