Best fenders (or "bumpers" if you must)?

Nautical

Reaction score
Hi. I tried searching (with both names) and I was surprised not to find anything.

What are the best fenders for our toons? I'd be willing to bet most dealers will provide adequate, competent fenders but I'd be willing to bet MORE that many of you know of better ones.

What's the best size (in both diameter and length)?
What's the best material?
What's the best brand?
Do I need ones that require customer added air?

I'm planning on buying two of these SS fender holders since I already have a storage issue and I need to decide if I'm going to stick with the 7 inch dealer provided fenders or go with the 9 or 9.5 inch ones. I feel the 11 or 12 inch ones are overkill but maybe I'm wrong. I feel like they would look good since my RCW has SS rails back there already.

I use 8.5 X 27

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-...d=1529178044&sr=8-5&keywords=8.5+x+27+bumpers
61N6GSkRAEL._SL1500_.jpg

Don’t forget the “EZ Fenders,” to keep them attached to your boat while in use.

Color matching is a nice touch.

8.5 x 27 fenders with EZ fenders. I pull them up high when underway and matching color of the fenders doesn't look bad dangling there. Also a couple of extras stored under the seat for additional safety during tie ups

8.5 x 27 fenders with EZ fenders. I pull them up high when underway and matching color of the fenders doesn't look bad dangling there. Also a couple of extras stored under the seat for additional safety during tie ups
Where did you get your fenders? I'm having trouble finding fenders and ropes that match perfectly to the Matador Red.

I use the Taylor Made Super Gard 6 1/2" x 22" fender. The Cranberry is a pretty close match. I have the Matador Red as well.

Yup Tylor Made Cranberry color but I do prefer the larger 8.5" x 27".

I had them and hated them. They were a big PIA. I couldn't even give them away at a yard sale we had.

They slightly resemble bed pans without the hole.

Last edited:
The slightly resemble bed pans without the hole.

I would think it would be simple enough to make a hole in them so they could serve double duty

In the past 20+ years West Marine has gotten a lot of my money. Have always like West Marine..
Good store and always good for return etc..

JMO - for any other late comers to this post - I think Polyform is the way to go - they aren't the cheap stuff on amazon and your not paying the price of Taylor -you can get a 4 pack for $110 bucks - Im not knocking having Taylor - but its rubber - and they are overpriced - get you some g4's or g5's depending on boat size - and be done with it - they are strong / durable/ and everything you would want a fender to be - I dont mind paying top dollar for anything - my dock neighbor had these and I was sold ....I also dont appreciate overpaying........this is it IMO!!!!

Back