Best GPH speed... for the Zombie Apocalypse!

Tin Diesel

Reaction score
My primary contingency plan for the coming Zombie Apocalypse is to escape with my family on my Benny... because as we all know, Zombies can't swim!

After all, what can be more fun than escaping from Zombies while enjoying my favorite pastime! But I digress...

In planning for this, I found myself wondering how far I can get on my 62 gallon tank with my 5.0L Mercruiser I/O (and all the gas cans I can carry - I have a lot!). What's the best speed to get the most distance per gallon of gas? I'm guessing just enough to get up on plane? Any thoughts?

On a side note, I'm wondering if the side rails are strong enough to mount some M60s? Also considering mounting a .50 cal on the ski towbar for rear-guard action.

C'mon, don't tell me some of you haven't thought of this...

:D

Last edited:
Do you have to go far if they can't swim? Probably just 100 yards off shore and float.

Well, if you must ask, in South Texas its pretty hard to find water more than waist deep (except after a hurricane, then its in our back yard). So my plan is to get to the San Jacinto River, head south to the Houston Ship Channel, then turn right on the Intracoastal Waterway and keep going to Mexico.

Because Mr. Trump's wall will keep all the Zombies on the U.S. side.
That's why...
;)

But you have to come in sooner or later......I've got a 52 gallon gas tank on my I/O. Didn't realize they made a 62! Wow!

Watch the documentary “Fear the Walking Dead”, season 1. As you will see, Zombie’s are still an issue out in the open water. Some other scenes in that documentary, as well as the “Walking Dead” documentary seem to indicate water is not always the solution. :D:eek:o_O

but you have to come in sooner or later......I've got a 52 gallon gas tank on my I/O. Didn't realize they made a 62! Wow!

Yup... 62 gallons. Says so on the tank and inadvertently verified when I let it get too low and filled up, and she took 59.75 gallons

Last edited:
... the “Walking Dead” documentary seem to indicate water is not always the solution. :D:eek:o_O

Yes, I thought of that. Hence the M60s and. 50 cal!

My 2013 22SLX tritoon has a Yamaha F115-LA and it goes forever on fuel! After
two 5 hour days of non aggressive putting around 10-15 mph and gas gauge just starts to come off full. Of course I wish I had more power but it really overall does well pulling tubes,etc even wakeboarder gets good hole shot. Going to add a front bimini and install hydraulic steering and remove sloppy cable OEM system to improve steering . Overton's had Uflex Hytech 1.0 hydraulic system on sale for $518 free shipping. It handles motors up to 150hp. I will have to get a head start on zombies! Maybe head to Hawaii.....or not. (I'm in Portland,Ore) ....might need a bigger boat....like in movie "Jaws"

Back