Best option/least needed option for a build

lakelifeMN

Reaction score
With lots of people looking for a new boat for next year I thought it might be helpful for the seasoned veterans on this forum to share what option you feel was best on your boat build and what option you thought was good but you don't use or care about on your boat build. I have seen many say extended deck or raised helm are musts and something like lighting (personal preference) may not be necessary. Thanks in advance for everyone's input. Hope this is fun and helpful for those looking.

Well I bought of the showroom floor, which worked out well for us. We aren't out at night alot and we have the RGB lights not really needed (but cool).Next would be the table (stored in my basement ) and the Bow Seat ( just use it for storage and foot rest) That's what I would probably not put in an order. Thanks!

Bolster seat would be nice. Least used are the movable cup holders and table which stay in the garage!
Most defiantly all the horsepower you can afford!

I think this is a tough question since we all use our boats on different bodies of water and for different reasons. For me it was getting at least a 6 cylinder engine and power steering, since we do quite a bit of tubing. As for creature comforts, I like our raised helm when under power and then our swing back rear speakers for when we are just floating. Oh and one more thing, I love the curved ladder. I am not old by any means but I would never go back to a telescoping ladder after having the curved one. Yes it takes up room on the back, but man is it easy getting back on board!

Best - dinette table. This is used constantly; this past weekend for cooking hotdogs for the kids and playing cards. Turns the boat into a true family living room.

Runners up - wave tamer, SPS+, 52 gal fuel

Least used - master power switch. I already kill power at the distribution panel so it’s redundant.

Runners up - storm graphics, curved option for the bimini

Best, as said in the first post, raised helm and extended deck. If I had to do it over again, I would go with the R instead of the Q. The curved front panel on the Q looks nice but it results in less seating space.

150 hp or higher? Electric power-assisted steering, unless of course, it comes standard on a bigger motor.

I've noticed that a lot of folks recommend getting the elevated helm option. Is this an option I could get installed a year or so later, after trying it out without it first and decide I want it later? Does it raise only the seat or does it raise the seat and helm together?

I've noticed that a lot of folks recommend getting the elevated helm option. Is this an option I could get installed a year or so later, after trying it out without it first and decide I want it later? Does it raise only the seat or does it raise the seat and helm together?
Good Question !

Having had both a regular helm and an elevated, I'd agree that it's a must-have. Much easier to see around guests.

If you don't end up getting the helm now you can always get a longer support tube for your seat, but then the steering and controls will be lower relative to your position.

Honestly if I ever order another high-hp Benny I'm going to get the windshields. Scooting around at 50 mph is chilly!

You could also do a telescopic seat post later on. A buddy of mine did that on his jet boat this past summer. Works well and was very reasonable.

You could also do a telescopic seat post later on. A buddy of mine did that on his jet boat this past summer. Works well and was very reasonable.
Or just stand. I have the flip up bolster so it acts as a leaning post and is my preferred position while under power. But you could probably find a bolster or pillow that rests on top. I’m also constantly on the look out for floating logs in the river so the highest elevated position is almost a necessity.

That being said if I’m cruising in clean water for long periods of time, then the elevated helm would make much more sense.

Funny how some must haves are not things some would want on their boat. You need to look at all options and list them in order of importance to you. Get as many as you can afford. If you haven’t had a pontoon/tritoon before there will be hits and misses unfortunately. There really is not a must have option for everyone. That’s why pontoons are so flipping amazing!!

Last edited:
Best option: Hanging out with my bikini clad wife on the boat. Unfortunately not an option for others. Sorry. ;)

Least favorite option: My wife not wanting me to hammer the throttle and sprint around at WOT. :p

Last edited:
Must haves: extended aft deck, seagrass, elevated helm.
Luckily, seagrass or vinyl is standard item now.
That was the must have reason we traded our “carpeted” boat in 2017.
For me, elevated helm, but I just liked the looks vs. no base below the seat.

Not necessary: big motor ... :D

Back