Best way to Clean Simtex??

Dmonnny123

Reaction score
We had a great fourth of July!

That said, with the kids and their 50spf lotion.. I have a few white spots that I can't seem to get off the seats.. I tried water on a rag and rubbed to no avail.

Any ideas or suggestions??

Sunscreen is the killer of pontoon seats. Gotta be super careful with the stuff. They recommend dawn dish soap and water to clean the Semtex. I’d start with that first before trying anything more harsh, or the traditional chemical vinyl cleaners. If that doesn’t take care of it, then I’d move up to other items like the suggestion above. But that’s just me.

Sunscreen is the killer of pontoon seats. Gotta be super careful with the stuff. They recommend dawn dish soap and water to clean the Semtex. I’d start with that first before trying anything more harsh, or the traditional chemical vinyl cleaners. If that doesn’t take care of it, then I’d move up to other items like the suggestion above. But that’s just me.

Oh I'm careful alright.. the 4 and 8 year olds.. not so much ;)

This is from the manufacturer of Simtex, Spradling:

--
Simtex General Care and Cleaning Guide
Step 1: For light soiling, a solution of 10% household liquid dishsoap in warm water, applied
with a soft damp cloth. Rinse with clean water and dry.

Step 2: For heavy soiling, dampen a soft white cloth with a one to one (1:1) solution of Fantastik® and water or Formula 409® and water. Rub gently and rinse with a water dampened cloth.

Step 3: For more difficult stains, dampen a soft white cloth with a solution of household bleach (10% bleach / 90% water). Rub gently and rinse with a water dampened cloth to remove bleach concentration. Do not use with alcohol based cleaning agents!

--
There is no mention of using 303 products...not sure if they are safe for this material, but they might be. I have had good luck taking the white sunblock marks off the vinyl using the first step of dishsoap and water with light scrubbing. Also, sunblock marks on black anodized rails can be removed by a little Armor All (or similar) on a soft rag.

I follow what Chris has posted above. Almost everything comes out with step 1.

However, when I was getting ready to cover my boat Sunday evening, I opened a seat that I usually don't go into often to put something away that a buddy accidentally left on the boat. I noticed the edges of the seat where it meets the seat back is stained yellow from pollen (don't know how long the pollen has been there since it seems like pollen has been flying in the wind for 2 months and won't quit). Since I was in a hurry, I just wiped it the best I could with a wet, clean lint-free cloth. The stain was still there. It is raining here the next few days, so it'll be Thursday afternoon before I will get a chance to attack it. With how well the Simtex cleans with just ivory soap and water, I'm hoping using a little Fantastik hopefully gets the pollen stain out. I really don't want to skip to step 3 with bleach.

So far step 1 has worked on everything for us as well.

Back