Best way to clean some black mold off my red bimini top

kcd3257

Reaction score
previous owner had the top in the boot while wet and black mold formed, I took the material off the frame, not sure if I should power wash or machine wash.
any tips ?

previous owner had the top in the boot while wet and black mold formed, I took the material off the frame, not sure if I should power wash or machine wash.
any tips ?
I have put our Bimini in our old boat in a big commercial washer and it cleaned it quite well....... I've also had mildew on the underside of our Bimini and I've taken it off and laid it in the driveway and sprayed it with a diluted bleach solution and it got rid of it instantly. I then rinsed it and let it dry.

how diluted was the bleach solution?? don't want to fade out the red too much.Also anything in there besides water and bleach ?

how diluted was the bleach solution?? don't want to fade out the red too much.Also anything in there besides water and bleach ?
I've used a simple 32 oz. spray bottle and put about an ounce of bleach and the rest clean water and shake it up. Spray on the mold/mildew and it should start to disappear. If not spray it again it will disappear. I've used this method for years. (On the mooring cover, Bimini top and carpet) Rinse w/clean water and let it dry. I have also used this product from Walmart with excellent results...We had burgundy/red Sunbrella fabric. 4b3c2564-7ee2-4e35-b40b-339486e7f045_1.32bee05561a51fac5875274110471cfc.jpeg

I use Simple Green Oxy Solve Total Outdoor Cleaner to clean moss, mold, mildew, and algae in my carpet. I think it works on your thing too. You can try it.

Used awesome brand cleaner from the dollar store (like a buck for a spray bottle of the stuff) to clean the mold/mildew off our cover and bimini. Spray the cleaner on and work it in with a soft bristle brush (like used to wash your car) then spray with powerwasher......viola it's clean. Then just lay in the sun to dry and re-install on the bimini frame.

81qsqe2PixL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Used awesome brand cleaner from the dollar store (like a buck for a spray bottle of the stuff) to clean the mold/mildew off our cover and bimini. Spray the cleaner on and work it in with a soft bristle brush (like used to wash your car) then spray with powerwasher......viola it's clean. Then just lay in the sun to dry and re-install on the bimini frame.

81qsqe2PixL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Yup I love this stuff but never used it to clean mold/mildew. It works really good on plastic, regular vinyl seating and the carpet on our old boat........

I washed the whole top in a commercial washer on the long cycle with Oxy-Clean. The active ingredient is available cheaper in bulk on line, it's sodium percarbonate. Worked great after none of the other stuff tried did.

Back