Bilge question?

christull

Reaction score
I have a 2006 2275 FSI tri toon. My battery died over the winter months, which is my fault for not keeping closer eye on things and charging regular. Have replaced the battery but noticed water in center pontoon and the bilge is not working to pump it out. Where and how do you replace the bilge. I don't have a switch for it on console, so it is hot wired to battery and should have come on I would think as soon as installed new battery. Any thoughts? sugggestions? and most of all since I can't see the bilge as it must be under the floor of the pontoon, how do you access it?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Do you have an outboard or an I/O?

Do you have center tube storage? Usually a bilge is with an I/O where the engine is. Do you have pics of what your talking about?

I do have have center storage. I just got on it today and pulled everything out, including the removable floor pieces. I’ve attached pics. I can now see the bulge pump. I just have to get the water out to get to it now to pull it and replace it. Could be a fuse? I haven’t checked that yet?

Attachments

• 5D74E09F-77CC-49DB-8BD1-A9C895D8CF90.jpeg
    5D74E09F-77CC-49DB-8BD1-A9C895D8CF90.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 05618DD5-40E1-40FD-ADDF-9A8CFFF52A55.jpeg
    05618DD5-40E1-40FD-ADDF-9A8CFFF52A55.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 94
  • 86995C25-3845-41A8-9CA3-C1A750EAF37E.jpeg
    86995C25-3845-41A8-9CA3-C1A750EAF37E.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 95
  • 873FFB73-1819-4BF8-95A8-6EA118B6F190.jpeg
    873FFB73-1819-4BF8-95A8-6EA118B6F190.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 274DDF6E-A62D-4A4C-9D67-A619933B6899.jpeg
    274DDF6E-A62D-4A4C-9D67-A619933B6899.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 99
Bilge. Excuse the mess. Time to get it cleaned up for spring and summer. Thanks for any suggestions and advice!

How did so much water get in the storage area?!?

I have a cover on it but it sits out in driveway. Not sure when battery or bilge stopped working but I assume from rain getting on cover and such. Been extremly wet winter here in Louisiana.

I was told when I picked up my new boat that the center bilge pump in the center storage area only works in manual mode...i.e. you have to manually turn it on. There is no automatic mode with a float switch, etc. while sitting at the dock or in your driveway. I'm not sure if my setup is the same as yours, but I will occasionally be turning on the pump to make sure it's empty.

I believe it is run straight to battery. In the past I have connected the battery with a little water in the center tube and the pump would turn on and pump the tube dry and shut off. I don’t have a switch on my dash for it that I am aware of. I did turn all acc switches on today and nothing. Also my radio did not cut on. Wondering if a fuse may be blown. Going to check them next. On positive note the motor Fired right up.

It is a 2006 model and I am the 2nd or maybe 3rd owner. so I am still figuring if out some things with it.

Hey christull, there's a thread that I posted to a while back that has some info: Bilge pump fuse location

My boat is a bit larger than yours, and is an I/O, but since they're close to the same age, I'm betting the wiring is pretty close to identical for the storage pump. So, some thoughts on the pump:
  • There should be a fuse under the console. In the thread above, you'll note that it could be a "tube" type of fuse in a yellow water-proof case, or it could be a blade fuse like mine.
  • I think there should also be an inline fuse near the pump (can't remember - its been a while)
  • From the picture of the pump in the bilge, I think your wiring has been modified. Whatever that is spliced into the wiring close to the pump shouldn't be there and might be the culprit. If/when you get a new pump, you'll find the wiring is solid for about 24".
  • There is no switch on the dashboard to activate the bilge pump. It is automatic. If this makes you uncomfortable, you'll want to flip the kill switch for the whole boat when you store it (I do).
  • Your pump looks shot... probably time to replace it anyway. If it burned the fuse, it's probably because the bilge motor seized. There's a special kind of fun getting down inside that tube and working with your arms stretched out over your head. If you do it yourself, be aware that the old one is actually glued to the bottom of the 'toon. You'll have to clean that area and get an appropriate glue. But if you do it yourself, you'll know its done right.
Regarding water in the storage unit, I had that all the time when I stored it in my back yard here in South Texas and its the reason I found a cheap storage unit (it looks like 3rd world but its $80/mo with solid roof, walls, and locking door).

I would get water in from some or all of the following:
  • If the boat wasn't perfectly level when stored on the trailer, then rain would hit the side, run down the panel, and go under the opening between the panel and the deck. Then it would run across the floor into the storage unit. As an experiment, I sealed that long opening with blue painter's tape and eliminated a lot of the problem.
  • Heavy rain would simply soak through the old cover. Yes, I treated it with new repellent, but nothing can fix old worn out fabric.
  • Heavy enough rain would inevitably find a way to sag the cover and pool, then soak through.
  • In heavy chop, there is a way for the bow wake to splash up and get into the 'toon storage from underneath the deck. See this thread: Wave shield - closing the gaps

Last edited:
Thanks ton diesel and cwag911 for all of the great info and diagram. I will take a close look at fuses and replace as needed. And will pump water out with a sump pump I happen to have for my pool in order to get in there and replace pump if fuses turn out to not be the problem. Again many thanks and I will post my findings.

I use a wet/dry vac when I'm parked in the driveway.
Based on a suggestion from this forum, I keep a water blaster toy in the boat for whatever the pump doesn't get when I'm away from home... but its a lot of work.
I love steep ramps - I'll pause to let the automatic pump get as much out as possible when the boat is tilted back on it.

Back