Bimini Cable Stays

Alicedream

Reaction score
There has always been on going questions about how fast you can go with your bimini up. The boat builder now has an option called “Bimini Cable Stays”. It says this is for speeds over 30 mph. Wondering if anyone has optioned this and what they look like? Also it is great to know this is an option going forward.

Last edited:
I ordered my R23 with them but it did not come with them. I use a bungie

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering about them as well. If you order them ($519) you must get the curved electric bimini with LED lighting which is another $2,091 so a total of $2,610. I skipped them but have the Yamaha 250 VMAX so wondering if I will have an issue with speeds over 30? I see the bungie comment, but where do you use the bungie? Not even sure what the stays are or what they do.

The straps on my electric bimini attach from right behind the port-side door (and same spot on starboard) to the forward arms of the bimini when the top is open. We use them whenever we're underway with the top open - they definitely help remove some of the stress on the power top. A bungie wouldn't be any help at all, and may even damage the top by exaggerating the sway. That said, there's nothing too fancy about the straps - they're just simple straps with adjustable stops to keep the top from getting blown backward. Any hardware store strap would do the trick.

(pro-tip - I noticed that the straps "vibrate" in the wind if you click them in place exactly square with no rotation. If you twist the staps a couple times before you click the other side, they don't vibrate at all. Weird but it works.)

Hmmm, so these are the straps that come standard with a bimini on a fiberglass boat. Every boat I've had included those straps. I guess I'll need to see what I can figure out, can't believe it's $519 for them with a requirement to have the electric bimini. Are they only needed on the electric version? The manual version stays in place by some other means?

Hmmm, so these are the straps that come standard with a bimini on a fiberglass boat. Every boat I've had included those straps. I guess I'll need to see what I can figure out, can't believe it's $519 for them with a requirement to have the electric bimini. Are they only needed on the electric version? The manual version stays in place by some other means?
The manual top has arms that hold the top up - so no straps are needed. Some have had issues with the plastic clip that holds the arms in place coming loose - search the forum for Bimini and you'll see a couple good solutions including drilling pins to keep them in place.

Interesting. Jumping in here. We have the curved electric bimin. The boat never came with any kind of straps to help secure it. 2017 model we ordered new in the winter of 2016.

They sound like they are very helpful. Are these straps an add on item for extra cost, or should they have come standard as part of our curved electric bimini upgrade at the time?

You also mention any hardware straps would work too. Any chance you can post pictures of yours secured by the straps and the attachment points (when you get an opportunity)?

Interesting. Jumping in here. We have the curved electric bimin. The boat never came with any kind of straps to help secure it. 2017 model we ordered new in the winter of 2016.

They sound like they are very helpful. Are these straps an add on item for extra cost, or should they have come standard as part of our curved electric bimini upgrade at the time?

You also mention any hardware straps would work too. Any chance you can post pictures of yours secured by the straps and the attachment points (when you get an opportunity)?
I'll try to remember - taking the boat out this weekend so I'll hopefully have a moment to snap a pic of them in place. In the meantime here's a picture of where the strap goes - if you have silver hook-points on your bimini and on the frame as indicated, you should be set.

Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 4.53.15 PM.png

Just FYI, while the straps and pins help keep the bimini frame stable during high speeds, there is no guarantee that the fabric itself will survive.

On my bimini both mid-span attachment points from the canvas to the buttoned strap are starting to tear loose, and I may or may not have exceeded 30mph (I plead the 5th). Trim angle also gets interesting with the bimini up - if you trim up like normal it'll actually cause the bimini to act as a drag chute and slow you down (and probably put excessive stress on the fabric). I actually pick up a few MPH when trimming down and get the bimini more level with the air stream.

X2 what potomacbassin said. If speed was my goal I’m not sure I would’ve bought a pontoon.. Also if I wanted to go fast on any boat, I’m certain I wouldn’t have the Bimini up. Just me though, to each their own.

I have the electric bimini and it came with white plastic coated steel cables (did not cost extra). The cables hook to a 4-hole bracket (you can pick your hole) with a pin which is located about 6 feet head of the electric mechanism. The cable attaches to the top with a SS pelican hook. Use over 30 mph.

bimini top 3.png

Attachments

• pelican hook.png
    pelican hook.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 11
Interesting. My boat does not have that 4 hole connecting bracket. And I certainly did not get any sort of strap or cables. Maybe this was not an option on my 2017?

We don’t have the bimini up very often anyway, and when we do, it really is during slow cruises or anchoring and swimming/lounging around. So….probably not at all a need or concern for us.

However, I have heard reference to these things a couple times and finally decided to ask. Thanks for the details and replies. Much appreciated everyone.

Same here, we generally cruise without it and only use when anchored so I guess I should be good. Might change once we are in the FL sun but for now good. I do like the cable idea with the multiple holes to chose from. Sounds a little like a hit or miss as to what you get??? Maybe just the model year.

Back