Bimini Height / Playpen Straps

azray007

Reaction score
Good day everyone,

I have a couple questions regarding the playpen straps and the trailering/storing height of the Bimini.

1.  On the rear of the playpen cover, there are two straps that are made into the material.  One strap faces to the right and one faces to the rear yet they are made to connect together.  I was curious what is the proper way for them to connect?

2. There are two levels for storing the Bimini back.  One is very low and the other is much higher.  When trailering / storing does the Bimini need to be in the lowest position?

Thank you for your guidance! 

Alan

Last edited by a moderator:
1- There should be an adjustable strap that you wrap around the closed bimini top then each end connects to one of those built in straps on the cover. You cinch it up to prevent pooling on that area of the cover.

2- The top should be in the lower position when on the road.

If you take a look at my pictures, the angles of the strap snap connectors don't look right to do what your describing.  I guess that's why I've asked for help! :)

Does anyone have a picture with them being used?  That might be very helpful.

From what I can see in the pics everything looks good. When you trailer you should have the Bimini on the short legs other wise you'll find every low hanging branch around. When it's on the short legs your nylon strap facing about 2 o'clock( from standing at the rear)should go up and over the top towards the front of the boat and it should line up close with the second clip facing back. The strap is long enough to work with Bimini up or in trailer mode. 

From what I can see in the pics everything looks good. When you trailer you should have the Bimini on the short legs other wise you'll find every low hanging branch around. When it's on the short legs your nylon strap facing about 2 o'clock( from standing at the rear)should go up and over the top towards the front of the boat and it should line up close with the second clip facing back. The strap is long enough to work with Bimini up or in trailer mode. 

Couldn't have said it better myself! Spot on.......

That is the way to set it up and it works in either leg position but I understood that the mooring cover wasnt to be used when trailering (I do use it like that at my dock). Also - I think it was semper fi - said his strap eventually wore a hole in the Bimini cover and it seems that the vibration of trailering with it on would only hasten that happening. 

Thank you for the great advice.  I'll take a look again when I get home from work.  :)

As far as trailering goes, I trailer my Benni often; however, I never trailer it with the playpen cover on.  I had read somewhere if you do, never exceed 45 mph. 

Correct, I now loop mine over my anchor light post. 

I feel like I'm a fairly intelligent person; however, the angles of these clips just doesn't seem right to me.  Looking from the back of the boat forward, the clip on the left of the boat is pointed directly at 3 o'clock, and the clip on the right is pointed directly at 7 o'clock.  Is that right?  Just seems like if I was going to connect the way described (to the Bimini frame) the right clip would be at 11 o'clock and the left clip would be at 2 o'clock. 

Someone sewed yours on the cover on a Friday afternoon, just before the weekend. :)

Someone sewed yours on the cover on a Friday afternoon, just before the weekend. :)

That's what I'm beginning to think.  Before I drive myself crazy trying to figure this out, I would love to hear if that's the way all of them are done.  :unsure:

I'm pretty positive that they aren't supposed to go back and around the tow bar. That would make them incorrectly installed for anyone that doesn't have the bar over the motor. They are to loop over the bimini as described above. 

Agreed.  The angles just seem so off that seemed to cause the least amount of stress to the clips.  I knew that was wrong which led me to seek the advice of all the experience on this awesome forum.  B)

If you look at the image below, where should this clip be attached?  It's facing the rear of the boat on the driver side, pointed directly at where the ski bar is located.

Don't have a picture of them but my clips are basically facing each other. Sounds like yours were sewed backward which of course puts extra strain on the stitching. 

Mine are sewn with clip openings facing 3 and 9 o'clock position. 

Now, I'm going to have to check mine when I get home.

I'm really surprised that Bennington stopped using the 4th curved pole like this. It went up next to the sunpad and IMHO is easier than that strap.

med_gallery_1200_457_87438.jpg

I feel like I'm a fairly intelligent person; however, the angles of these clips just doesn't seem right to me.  Looking from the back of the boat forward, the clip on the left of the boat is pointed directly at 3 o'clock, and the clip on the right is pointed directly at 7 o'clock.  Is that right?  Just seems like if I was going to connect the way described (to the Bimini frame) the right clip would be at 11 o'clock and the left clip would be at 2 o'clock. 

It's made to go across the boat at angle, not perpendicular to the Bimini. I won't have my trailering cover off til this weekend otherwise I'd shoot you a few picks. I have a 24SSLX which has an odd shaped rear wall, but from looking at your pictures I would think the idea is the same as my cover??

Back