Bimini knobs are plastic junk

Spoiledrotten

Reaction score
I didn't give any thought to the plastic "tri-knobs" that hold the tension on the bimini when it's open, but I finally saw how little they work when I looked up and saw the bimini slightly flapping in the breeze. I figured that I just didn't tighten the adjustment knobs enough, so I tightened them a little more. An hour later, more flapping. When I took one off, I found that it was split up the side where the nut is inserted. Went to the hardware store and got some metal wing nuts to replace both of the plastic knobs. It will not slide lose, now. It also doesn't stand out like the black plastic knobs did. 

Yeah, never met very many of those that lasted in any application.

Thanks for the idea.... I had one split and just got another one from the dealer under warranty but I like your idea next time it happens which I think will be soon.

Ours are 10 years old and never a problem.

I've replaced mine a couple times.....

Yep, sixty cents cured my problem with the knobs.

Had it happen to me as well. I have a backup in case another one fails.

Mine split too. They now have locknuts in their place. Never adjusted them once since I owned the boat, and a broken one means loss of the bimini for the day,  or worst case permanent wind damage, so the plastic knobs came off, locknuts went on.  I keep a wrench on board just in case. Guessing I'll never loosen them though.

lock nuts... great idea.... boom!! learned two things on one thread

Back