Bimini lights

Kelvin

Reaction score
Fellow Bennington Owners/Team,

Last year, I purchased a new 2008 2575 QXi. While test driving the boat with the dealer, we noticed the overhead bimini lights did not come on when we pressed the overhead-bimini-light button. The dealer unplugged two wires from the bimini frame near the console, and reversed them, then pressed the button and the lights came on... yay!

Ok, fast forward to this week. After adding a 2nd battery and upgrading the stereo system, I decided to double check everything... I pushed the overhead-bimini-light button, and no lights... Thinking maybe the techs that added the battery, or the techs that upgraded the stereo, may have switched the wires, I reversed the wires... no lights...

Through the process of elimination, I proved all wires going to the four bimini lights--work. The anchor light is still working (gets power from the same two wires mentioned above). It appears the bimini lights are not 12 volt. There is a small "fuse looking" device in the bimini light wires, which I believe is a "reducer" or "resistor"???

I searched the "entire internet" for Bennington Bimini lights, overhead lights, etc., etc... and found nothing related/specific/matching in size/diameter, to my lights. I ended up purchasing four marine/waterproof 12 volt LED "livewell" lights that are very close in size/diameter;however, not exact... All four new 12 volt LED lights work at all/any of the four bimini light locations, although I have not installed anything... yet...

Question(s): 1) What exactly are these lights? (LED, 9 volt, ???)

2) Is it likely/probable, that all four of the original lights were blown, yet not the anchor light?

3) Might the problem be the "reducer" or "resistor"?

(I've already called "my closest dealer" on this, asking the same questions, and instead of being told the technical specs on the lights, I was just given a ballpark quote to replace them... I purchased the above mentioned new 12 volt LED livewell lights for 25% of what the dealer's quote was/is... Would be awesome to replace the original four mystery-volt lights with the new 12 volt LEDs, as long as I'm not going off on some common-sense-process-of-elimination goose-chase here...)

Anyone already been here and done this!?!?!

I assume you verified that there is power to the plug the bimini lights connect to...?

If so, you already know what voltage you have. If it isn't 12 volts, then you want to find out why. If there a resistor that brings the voltage down or is there a problem with your wiring.

Very often, you can talk to the mechanics at the marina who can verify the correct voltage, as well as tell you the load capacity of the circuit.

The LED lights you bought should have the voltage rating on the pack or in the instructions.

Remember: Volts x Amp = Watts so Watts ÷ Volts = Amps.

The 2nd is most useful because your fuses will be rated in amps.

It also wouldn't hurt if you tried to clean the contacts. You can get some stuff at Radio Shack for that, as well as some grease you can out on the contacts to lube, prevent corrosion and ensure a good electrical connection.

When all is said and done, you MIGHT decide that the best solution is a factory replacement, even though it's more money than you think it should be.

Don't stop yourself from going that way, because sometimes factory is the best option, and quality usually ends up being less expensive in the long run.

I HOPE that I've said something useful here. Good luck.

Update!

I finally found some 12 volt LED Mini Button Style Courtesy Lights. But even more miraculous, I found the exact same wiring connectors, to connect to my new lights, and was able to unplug the four bad/blown white lights, and plug in the new BLUE lights!!!

Only saved 300% though... compared to my local dealers quote...

Get your lights! wiring! connectors! and heat shrink info here! Step right up... don’t be shy... !!!

Shew, that was a tuff one!

6317-Mini-Courtesy_fu.jpg

Kelvin,

I'm looking to add some blue bimini lights to my pontoon.

Could you please tell me where you purchased your new bimini lights? Model number? and lastly, how are they attached to the bimini? Any chance you could post a picture?

Thanks for the info!

-Sean

Kelvin,

I'm looking to add some blue bimini lights to my pontoon.

Could you please tell me where you purchased your new bimini lights? Model number? and lastly, how are they attached to the bimini? Any chance you could post a picture?

Thanks for the info!

-Sean
Hey Sean!

I am trying to find a close up pic (in my existing pics) of the lights in the bimini frame, but so far, all I can find are close up pics of the wiring coming out of one hole, and a close up of the old and new light (in the above/previous post)... My boat came with "bimini lights", so my recent "PhD" project was in replacing them. If you don't have any bimini lights at all--yet, then I'm back to kindergarten on that one... I’m sure you’ll get a reply here shortly that says “check with your Bennington Dealer”... The photo/light I previously posted came from Attwood Marine: http://www.attwoodmarine.com/UserFiles/Store/Product/Images/1287/full/6317-Mini-Courtesy_fu.jpg

If you don’t have any bimini lights at all, then your project would cost more, but would probably be a whole lot easier than what I went through, trying to find out what was already there, and then try to match/retrofit back to it... If you still want the wiring info, let me know and I’ll post that as well!

Here’s the pics I do have...

Thanks for the info Kelvin!

Yes, I will take any / all wiring info you can provide.

Hey Sean!

I am trying to find a close up pic (in my existing pics) of the lights in the bimini frame, but so far, all I can find are close up pics of the wiring coming out of one hole, and a close up of the old and new light (in the above/previous post)... My boat came with "bimini lights", so my recent "PhD" project was in replacing them. If you don't have any bimini lights at all--yet, then I'm back to kindergarten on that one... I’m sure you’ll get a reply here shortly that says “check with your Bennington Dealer”... The photo/light I previously posted came from Attwood Marine: http://www.attwoodma...Courtesy_fu.jpg

If you don’t have any bimini lights at all, then your project would cost more, but would probably be a whole lot easier than what I went through, trying to find out what was already there, and then try to match/retrofit back to it... If you still want the wiring info, let me know and I’ll post that as well!

Here’s the pics I do have...

Here's a pic of the old light:

Going out to the boat now, to take a better pic of the bimini lights! stay tuned...

Well, looks like I have to delete some of my previous pics, so I room to post some new ones... Does anyone know if I delete all of my old pics from my "attachment manager", will that pluck/remove the pics out of the posts too?

:D Well, I just went for it, and in the area where is shows "Manage attachments", I deleted all of my old pics... I still see the pic in the previous post of the new bimini light, so I guess that answers the question about "will pics be removed from previous posts?" no...

OK, here's some pics hot off the press, of my new blue LED bimini lights, that replaced the original blown white lights... (sorry about the lighting of the pics... it's high noon here, and the boat was in my storage building... hope to take the boat out soon and get some good evening pics!): Pics are of: front view of canopy, closer front view of canopy, main connectors near the console (someone in another post asked about), and a close up of one of the lights...

I just replaced the lights this past weekend. I plan on adding another heat shrink tube to the end of the "main" connector I had to replace... (didn't want y'all to think I was done...)

:D

I now see some of my pics were deleted from the posts, and one was not... So, pics that are "attached" to posts get deleted when you delete them from your "Manage Attachments" area. Pics that are "embedded" into posts do not get removed... nice to know... :blink:

Back