Bird Poop

myv10

Reaction score
Does anyone boat at a lake where bird poop is a major nuisance. In Pennslyvania geese used to be a major problem, now white gulls are everywhere, They roost on boats at marinas and literally cover the boats in droppings. Boat owners have to put nets over their mooring covers to try to keep them from roosting. This is why I dock at Deep Creek lake in Maryland. It seems too windy and rough for these birds. Just wondered if anyone else was bothered by this.

Yes, our lake has them BAD! There is a boat last summer that the green cover was basically white.

Good news is they tend to stay on docks toward the marina. Bad news is the Blue Herons like our dock. They like to sit on our bimini, eat and take BIG dumps which splatters everywhere. I think this year we will put streamers or spikes on bimini at end of day to keep them off. Last year for the last month or two, I went redneck and tied a white plastic bag to the bimini. It worked though. 

At one point I had birds pooping on our mooring cover I found that throwing birdseed on my best friends mooring cover seemed to correct the problem  :rolleyes:

I have a problem with barn swallows. I have a method of reducing their frequency of visiting but I'll keep my mouth shut. 

I've been using THESE for the barn swallows inside my canopy. Seems to help a little bit.

No bird poop for me. My problem seems to be another creature. Spiders and their webs. All the grass and trees around my dock and the spiders want to hang out on my Bennington, can't really blame them though.

Knock on wood, my marina doesn't seem to have a bird problem but that can't be said for the entire lake. Some places have streamers and plastic owls all over the place. Hope it stays that way for us, but nature can be fickle. 

Pennslyvania's problem came very quickly. First, you had to watch the goose droppings everywhere, then the gulls moved in. Pymatuning and Shenango reservoirs are ridiculous. Bird droppings inches thick everywhere. 

For what ever reason ,here the birds prefer the dark colored boats . ( knock on wood ) 

Pennslyvania's problem came very quickly. First, you had to watch the goose droppings everywhere, then the gulls moved in. Pymatuning and Shenango reservoirs are ridiculous. Bird droppings inches thick everywhere. 

We have a landfill on the east side of city. I drove past one day and wondered why the side of the "mountain" was white. When I get closer, I noticed it was thousands of sea gulls. People think it's so cute feeding them, not realizing, that's why they stay. Toss a french fry in the Wally World parking lot and it's like watching piranhas attack a chicken leg tossed in the water.......

At our old marina in Virginia I tied round foil pie plates to the Bimini top. Just let them flap in the wind and it worked........

At our old marina in Virginia I tied round foil pie plates to the Bimini top. Just let them flap in the wind and it worked........

I have seen that method ,seems to work 

We have a landfill on the east side of city. I drove past one day and wondered why the side of the "mountain" was white. When I get closer, I noticed it was thousands of sea gulls. People think it's so cute feeding them, not realizing, that's why they stay. Toss a french fry in the Wally World parking lot and it's like watching piranhas attack a chicken leg tossed in the water.......

At the ocean,we refer to them as flying rats! And their not the problem,it's the red winged black birds that make the mess on the boats. I was thinking about giving a bird feeder to the new neighbors that move to our street.Could work !  -_-

Jack, that's exactly what the "green" boat at our lake looked like. It was then white after a week or two. They took the cover and cleaned it, but you could still see the white in it. 

I wonder if there's a bird deterrent  spray you could spray on the cover? I'm gonna have to research that. 

Back