Birds

nukeantz

Reaction score
So I went down to the lake 3 weeks ago and went out to the boat to check on it and the entire grey cover had bird crap stripes all over it.  I keep it under a boat house up on a lift and have never had this problem before.  I went home and ordered a birdx bird repeller and plugged it in, and went in the house and watched.  It appeared to be working, it has a motion detector on it and emits some sort of high pitched sound the birds didn't seem to like.  Last weekend I came back down and it looked like they invited all their friends over and had a crapping party.  I ordered some sticky caulk that you apply to the tops of the rafters with a caulking gun where they sit and do their business.  It is suppose to stay sticky for around 10 months and it says the birds don't like it and it keeps them away.  The only problem is I didn't read the fine print that says "small" birds may become stuck!!  So I went out Saturday afternoon to find two birds stuck there looking at me. One got loose and when it saw me, hopped between my legs thru the open pontoon door onto the dock  and the dog chased it down the dock into the water, where it is now turtle food.  The other one got loose during all this and just jumped in the lake and is also turtle food.  My question is: does anybody have any other ideas. It is just a weekend place and I am worried there are going to be 100 dead birds stuck to the rafters of my boat house when I get back this weekend.

Finish the ceiling with wood, metal or plastic, frp, sheeting,  look up bird spike strips, 

Hang some foil pie plates from a string around your boathouse.....

In all the pavilions around here they have this black plastic netting that they roll across the bottom of the ceiling joists/trusses. It's plastic and they use stainless staples so nothing rusts. The holes are only about 1" x 1-1/2". Works fantastic, thinking they got it from the local lumber yard. I'd be out there playing sniper if I found that mess! :)  

In all the pavilions around here they have this black plastic netting that they roll across the bottom of the ceiling joists/trusses. It's plastic and they use stainless staples so nothing rusts. The holes are only about 1" x 1-1/2". Works fantastic, thinking they got it from the local lumber yard. I'd be out there playing sniper if I found that mess! :)  

Can you get a pic of what they use?

I bought some netting from homedepot for $15 and put it up with zip ties. Cut down on the crap by about 99%.

I had photos in the thread below but photobucket changed their policy. If you pm me your address I can send you photos. Or you can go to my homedepot review and see a photo.

http://reviews.homedepot.com/profiles/1999aa/1321650550/profile.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
My boat is on a Hewitt lift with a canopy. At two of the four hoist uprights I have a plastic bird, one is a hawk, other is an owl. Bought them from West marine. All they sell is the plastic bird-I had to drill top and bottom and run a length of threaded rod up the bird. Mounted that to the upright, so the bird is about a foot above the canopy high point. Been four seasons, not a bit of bird crap.

+ 2 on finishing the ceiling with plywood or vinyl soffit. In my opinion,installing some type of netting is in time the birds will tear the netting and get into the roof. And crap will still land on the boat. Remember,you get what you pay for!

Back