Bittersweet weekend......

BigKahuna

Reaction score
We sold "Big Kahuna" this weekend. Yeah you read right. It's still a shock when we say it. We put her on Marketplace and Craigslist just before Easter. We received 28 calls/messages of interest. The 2nd couple that came to see it and test drive it bought it and towed it home to Smith Mountain lake near Roanoke VA. on Friday. They told me they couldn't believe the "new" condition that the seats, upholstery, and carpet was in for a 2004 Bennington R. They also loved the custom wrap on the panels. We told them 13 years of religiously covering the boat, treating the seats, and waterproofing the carpet pays off in the long run.......... Literally. We sold her for what we paid for it in 2008. I would say Bennington's hold their value! We loved that boat! Lots of family memories were made. My kids grew up on that boat. But.......It was time for something else. A different floorplan. A different motor. A different boat altogether??? After months of painstaking research we bought a boat back in December. (It was killing me to not tell you guys.) We were going to wait for the boat show season but we received a deal that we couldn't refuse. They ended up throwing in a double Bimini, a Simrad, a duel battery set up, and a deeply discounted double axle galvanized trailer. Not to mention a manufacturers rebate and a dealer rebate. No we didn't buy another Bennington. Out of respect for this forum, the members, and the moderators I won't disclose what we bought. Not the place for it.
Let's just say we wanted to stay in the Bennington family but just couldn't get a deal done with 2 different Bennington dealers (A local one and one in W. Virginia.) and a dealer in S.C. selling a Bennington. We tried. So I'll still be around this forum throwing in my 2 cents. There's a good group of guys here.....

Congratulations Daril ! You must be very excited about your new boat. You better stick around as you’re one of the foundations of this place.

Congrats Daril! Hope you make as many good memories on this new boat as the last!

Congrats on the sale and purchase of the new one. Even though they are material possessions we do get attached to them.
If you are active on another bot forum please let us know. You’ve been an awesome member on here an I’m sure a lot of us want to support you and your journeys with the new boat regardless of brand.

Congrats to both of you on your sale and the new boat! We sold our '13 R 3 years ago when we moved to Florida and finally bought our Axopar 28 this year. If not for the move, we'd still have her, fantastic boats and service. You have a lot of great memories with Big Kahuna and certainly got more than your money's worth, it's a Bennington ;-)

Congratulations BK. Hope you do check in from time to time

Congrats. That was my first Bennington as well. We loved that boat, but I do think we love our newer on more - LOL. Just like you, we were able to sell her for the same price we bought it for. I couldn't believe it at the time. We still see her every once in a while. The new owners don't take of her, like we did.

Congrats on the sale and purchase of the new one. Even though they are material possessions we do get attached to them.
If you are active on another bot forum please let us know. You’ve been an awesome member on here an I’m sure a lot of us want to support you and your journeys with the new boat regardless of brand.
Thanks! I've checked out the "other" forum and from What I can tell it's still relatively new or seems new and can't touch this one......

Thanks! I've checked out the "other" forum and from What I can tell it's still relatively new or seems new and can't touch this one......

it’s ok .... you can still sit at the cool kids table ... :p

Thanks guys for the Congratulations!!! Should take delivery of the new boat on Friday or Monday. When we bought it they asked when we wanted it delivered. We said May. They laughed but quickly realized we were serious. Didn't need/want a boat in December...... It's been a long 5 months!

Congrats Daril!

We'll still be here when you decide to trade the new one in for a Benny again. This new boat will not count towards your jacket though.

Seriously, I hope you do like the new boat better than the old one.

You helped to make this site what it is, and you are always welcome here.

Congrats Daril!

We'll still be here when you decide to trade the new one in for a Benny again. This new boat will not count towards your jacket though.

Seriously, I hope you do like the new boat better than the old one.

You helped to make this site what it is, and you are always welcome here.
Ha! We talked about that before we bought the other boat. My wife said we can always go back if we don't like this one. This boat is very similar to the SPDX we originally wanted. It'll be fine. We'll make it work!

Being on Smith Mountain Lake, have to keep an eye out. Congrats on the new ride.
M Jay Farr, let me know if you see this on your lake this summer! They are keeping it at a marina somewhere and they are on a waiting list for a covered slip with a lift. If I find out where I'll let you know....

IMG_0153.JPG

Likely at Bridgewater Marina. Or one of their Marinas. They have several on SML. My dream destination is Bernards Landing at SML. They have a Marina there as well.

Congrats! Glad you are happy and that things are working out for you.

Back