Black and Blackout Boats

CapKaz

Reaction score
Cedar Hill, MO / Mark Twain Lake Perry, MO
All,

Dont mean to question what folks like in color and style, but I just don't get the black thing. Seems like this is the new norm. So with this new trend, a few questions. Does the black Bimini draw heat and radiate it to those below? Do that black panels and blackout rails get hot to the touch? I have always purchased light vehicles because they don't appear to look dirty as fast as dark vehicles, and I don't want to get  a vehicle that attracts heat due to its color. I have no experience with black so I can't state an opinion. But I would like to understand this trend.

Once again not trying to be judgmental, just trying to grasp this trend.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear ya. I prefer white pearl vehicles myself. But..... I went to the boat builder and a white boat with blackout looks awesome also with red or blue accent panel.

Black rails cool to the touch when underway but gets hot sitting still in the sun, BUT, so did my silver, just not quite as hot. 

No, I don't feel any heat radiating down from my black bimini. When it's 95, sunny, and just brutal, opening the bimini makes it comfortable. A slight breeze ..... that's a bonus. 

Oh, and we also bought it to be different. Very doubtful any other crazy people on our lake willing to drop the extra $$$ on Blackout, but we are not normal .....  :D

I have solid black panels and Bimini now and haven't noticed any difference between it and our last one with light green panels and green Bimini.

It's all a matter of personal taste and style.  My boat is almost entirely black and white.   Love that look and it fits my personality and style  (if I have any:)).  As for the heat, most all will cook you if it sits in the sun for 5 hours straight.   I've had black biminis on all of my boats, and it is not an issue at all.

I love the difference in boats I see on the lake.  It's what makes it interesting to check them out.  What a boring place it would be if all pontoons were white with a beige interior... :eek:

We have the Q2572 windscreen arch total blackout package with with cream interior and we love it. Bought it for the same reason you choose a car color... because YOU think it's awesome and every time we see our boat we still smile!  I have to say it is an attention getter in Florida.  Recently saw a new one with white accents on the rear panels and it really looked nice with the rest of the boat having the blackout package. Again it's all personal preference. Personally there are several common colors that I'd never choose but I see a lot of those colors on the water and their owners surely feel as I do... they love their boat.  Also if we all liked the same thing there would only be one color... how boring!

Because it looks cool and it's different than your fathers pontoon. (So to speak)

Well...... it was different.......we're seeing more and more black boats out there!

It is amazing how many we see on the lake this summer. All makes. Our neighbor at the lake had a 24' Manitou with a Yam 250 built this year. It is black with silver highlight and lots of chrome. Nice boat!!! Unfortunately it was delivered late due to the furniture delay. Then when they finally got to take delivery it had a small item that was not included. The boat was built without the in  floor storage. Dealer took the hit and let them take the boat to use until the new one gets built. Once again I want everyone to know I am not being critical of anyone's tast in colors. My kids say I'm an old stick in the mud with my white vehicles.:)) just seems the color of choice this summer is overwhelming. No matter what color it is, OUR Benningtons should put a smile on our faces each time we see them. I know mine does.

I've always liked black vehicles. The just look classier to me. I guess you can tell from my past pics; black with tan accents on my F-250, black with red accents on my Jeep Wrangler, but then my wife just had to have a red Jeep, so we got her the Grand Cherokee. Now, got rid of the Red boat that matched the Cherokee for a black with tan accents that matches my truck and Wrangler. 

Back