Blackout Package vs. Regular Rail Style

LoweNSlow

Reaction score
Good morning everyone! My local dealer has two beautiful boats my wife and I are interested in. I love the look of the blackout rails, but worry about them getting hot and/or scratched. Does anyone have experience with either? That's pretty much the only thing holding us back from pulling the trigger on a Bennington. Thanks for your input! We can't wait to get out on the water. I'll post pics once we decide.

I believe they are anodized, so scratches shouldn't be a significant worry. Just carry a magic marker for itty bitty ones and an easy conceal. The heat wouldn't concern me either. The biggest concern is I just don't like the blackout as good, but it's not my boat purchase you are talking about. I say it shouldn't be the only obstacle in your purchase. Better jump if you want it. I'm having the same issue with Ram 2500 trucks. Wife and I fell in love with one Saturday that we drove. Then it was gone Monday. And boats are going faster than trucks.. These are different times.

Good morning everyone! My local dealer has two beautiful boats my wife and I are interested in. I love the look of the blackout rails, but worry about them getting hot and/or scratched. Does anyone have experience with either? That's pretty much the only thing holding us back from pulling the trigger on a Bennington. Thanks for your input! We can't wait to get out on the water. I'll post pics once we decide.
Search black out in the box and you will get lots of people's thoughts. I had the same question.

Here in the Mid-Atlantic the black rail gets hot in summertime. My 10-year old made the mistake one afternoon leaning up against it on his bare skin and got taught a nice little lesson about colors and light reflection.

But not sure HOW MUCH hotter it gets than bare aluminum (maybe 15-20 degrees??), but it doesn't concern me - the benefit of the look far outweighs any dumb acts of my kids. Bare metal in summer will burn you too!

Found these on the interweb.

F48FFB72-6E83-4158-857F-B786AF91198C.jpeg76B275A7-AD66-4D13-B278-1339F0797E89.jpeg

My blackout night get a little hotter but not much more than silver anodized. As for scratching, it’s not as forgiving as I expected, but we are as careful as can be and keep a black sharpie handy for any marks that do show up. The beauty of it outweighs the worry.

Search black out in the box and you will get lots of people's thoughts. I had the same question.
Do this to read up on extensive recently prior discussion on this topic the past few years. Loving the look of the package ourselves, and knowing how its been doing these past 4 years, we’d make the same decision again in adding it onto our boat order.
I have had a black out for 4 seasons, no Issues with scratching and peeling. No hotter than any other boat
We have 4 seasons on our blackout package too. So far, so good. A few minor scuffs, but it is holding up solidly, and makes the boat look great. Not sure how much hotter it gets compared to bare aluminum. In the direct summer sunlight, both get extremely hot.

Thanks for your feedback everyone! I think we’re going to go with it. I’ll definitely post pictures!
You won’t regret it! What else can we help you spend money on? :p

Just a heads up that it seems they added a "blackout ladder " as an additional option in 2021. I ordered back in October for an April delivery and my dealer was just able to add it on for me! Excited for it to really complete that blackout look.

Just a heads up that it seems they added a "blackout ladder " as an additional option in 2021. I ordered back in October for an April delivery and my dealer was just able to add it on for me! Excited for it to really complete that blackout look.
I have the half black out package and wanted to add the black ladder. Do you mind if I ask the cost of the ladder and install for comparison to my dealer?

No issues with scratching after one season. It gets hot but I doubt it's much hotter than silver. The black looks awesome. We powder coated our ski bar matte black to match.

I have the half black out package and wanted to add the black ladder. Do you mind if I ask the cost of the ladder and install for comparison to my dealer?

No issues with scratching after one season. It gets hot but I doubt it's much hotter than silver. The black looks awesome. We powder coated our ski bar matte black to match.
My boat hasn't been built yet, so I asked my dealer to add/substitute the blackout ladder to my build specs. It lists the MSRP on the Bennington website build as $217. No charge for install per se as it will be incorporated into the build at the factory.

I'm not sure if you can just buy a new replacement curved black ladder from Bennington through your dealer...did they give you a quote? If super expensive could you just paint the ladder black? I was considering that before they made it an option.

My boat hasn't been built yet, so I asked my dealer to add/substitute the blackout ladder to my build specs. It lists the MSRP on the Bennington website build as $217. No charge for install per se as it will be incorporated into the build at the factory.

I'm not sure if you can just buy a new replacement curved black ladder from Bennington through your dealer...did they give you a quote? If super expensive could you just paint the ladder black? I was considering that before they made it an option.
I see. My dealer will order and install but they haven't quoted yet. They did say the rivets needs drilled out and they can be a pain because they're SS.

Back