Blue LED lights under deck

Bama Kat

Reaction score
For those that have the LED lights under their deck that light up the water & toons, can you run with them on at night? On the lake I am on you can only turn them on when anchored. The marine police say it interferes with the navigational lights but you can still see my red & green lights. Looks to me you are safer with them on because everyone can see you. Just wondered if other states had the same issues.

Mike

Wisconsin has just banned the blue lights entirely!  Not very happy since I just bought the boat and had the light installed. Looking at options they say any other color is fine..makes no sense..they say is confuses others that it might be a law enforcement vessel...

(7) Enforcement Lights:

• Only those watercraft used by any law enforcement officer authorized to enforce this regulation or any of the laws of Title 12, Chapter 715, are permitted to use or display a distinctive blue colored, pulsating or revolving light for the purposes of enforcing these laws on the waters of this State in addition to any other navigation lights required.
This is for Maine, I read it as long as they are not pulsating or revolving then you are ok.

Only when anchored/tied off.  Technically in TX they can write a ticket anytime but I've had a couple officers say that is highly unlikely if anchored.

(7) Enforcement Lights:

• Only those watercraft used by any law enforcement officer authorized to enforce this regulation or any of the laws of Title 12, Chapter 715, are permitted to use or display a distinctive blue colored, pulsating or revolving light for the purposes of enforcing these laws on the waters of this State in addition to any other navigation lights required.
This is for Maine, I read it as long as they are not pulsating or revolving then you are ok.
It clearly states "pulsating or revolving light for the purposes of enforcing these laws on the waters of this State in addition to any other navigation lights required"  Looks like a nice little loophole to me...  But officer i wasn't using them to enforce the laws of the state I was using them to look totally bad ass while driving my kick ass boat!

Last edited by a moderator:
In my experiences they use it as a reason to pull you over and inspect.

Last year people got ticketed. This year I saw 5 plus during the fireworks with blues, greens, reds, color changing ones.

Was amazed that they didn't get ticketed. I'm fine with those. Idiots with docking lights driving like they are headlights piss me off more than not as they blind me bad for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last year people got ticketed. This year I saw 5 plus during the fireworks with blues, greens, reds, color changing ones.

Was amazed that they didn't get ticketed. I'm fine with those. Idiots with docking lights driving like they are headlights piss me off more than not as they blind me bad for some reason.
I agree with this. It also drowns out the nav lights at night. I have yelled at people to turn them off, and they usually just give me a dumb look.

I have the RGB color changing ones.  My wife and I saw a someone tonight with there docking lights on driving like headlights and just laughed.  They don't really bother me I think its hilarious. 

I have the RGB color changing ones.  My wife and I saw a someone tonight with there docking lights on driving like headlights and just laughed.  They don't really bother me I think its hilarious.
We had our boat out on July 4th to watch fireworks (picked it up the day before). Too many people cruising with docking lights on is very confusing. What was definitely worse is so many at anchor with no anchor light! Maybe that is why everyone else had their docking lights going.

Back