Boarding/unboarding the Pontoon

putz21

Reaction score
My wife and I got into a big debate as to which side of the dock our new pontoon lift should go on. I have a new 2011 RCW 2275 on order to be built next week and the only door on the sides of the pontoon is on the port side. Because of this, I had our lift installed on the right side of the dock (as you are approaching the dock) so people could board and get off the pontoon through the door on the port side. My wife thinks the location of the lift with the canopy blocks too much of the view of our lake. So my question is this. On the RCW 2275, there appears to be a good size swim platform off the back, so does anybody use the rear door and swim platform as their main way to get on/off the pontoon? It appears to me there is enough room, but my wife thinks this is a bad idea as people could lose their balance and fall into the water. Wanted to get other opinions on this.

Thanks,

Chad

Are you pulling in to a slip that has decking on both sides and in front of you? I have the 2275 GCW and we usually get on and off through the front gate except for putting the cover on. I usually climb out of the gate on the port side after putting the poles up on the inside. The only thing I would think about would be if your normal wind pattern would be an issue as far as chances of the lift damaging (hitting of scraping) the boat pulling in the slip. Guess it depends on which way the slip is facing. Mine is pretty consistantly drifting from left to right. I haven't had anyone have any issues getting on and off the back except for i have the ski pylon and when the motor is trimmed all the way up you kind of have to swing your leg over the motor to cross from one side of the deck to the other. I don't have a lift but would think once it's up there's not going to be as much "bounce" or sway on the boat getting on or off. I don't think I would want the lift to get in the way of one of the gates though. Makes sense to me the way you have it. Maybe pics would help though.

Are you pulling in to a slip that has decking on both sides and in front of you? I have the 2275 GCW and we usually get on and off through the front gate except for putting the cover on. I usually climb out of the gate on the port side after putting the poles up on the inside. The only thing I would think about would be if your normal wind pattern would be an issue as far as chances of the lift damaging (hitting of scraping) the boat pulling in the slip. Guess it depends on which way the slip is facing. Mine is pretty consistantly drifting from left to right. I haven't had anyone have any issues getting on and off the back except for i have the ski pylon and when the motor is trimmed all the way up you kind of have to swing your leg over the motor to cross from one side of the deck to the other. I don't have a lift but would think once it's up there's not going to be as much "bounce" or sway on the boat getting on or off. I don't think I would want the lift to get in the way of one of the gates though. Makes sense to me the way you have it. Maybe pics would help though.
Here is a picture of my current configuration. My wife would like it flopped just the opposite. To me, exiting from the rear should be fine.

lift.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, truthfully I can see her point.

Besides, you know the secret to marital bliss.... "Yes Dear" ;)

The little bit of the picture that I see, I can kinda see the wife's point. Do you have plenty of water on the right side? Perhaps you place it perpendicular to the dock between the waverunner and the bench section. Then you can get on and off the front. or get a couple sections of dock that you could put between the pontoon and the waver runner.

I know, I am trying to make her happy since she let me spend a pretty penny on the pontoon, lift, dock, and Waverunner. Maybe I buy another section of the dock that could come out in front of the pontoon lift so people could get off the front and put the lift on the other side of the dock. This way, once the canopy goes on the lift, she will have her view back since we can move the lift to the other side. Might make sense.

Our main consideration when placing the lift was being able to put gas in from the dock. We are able to easily board from the front. If your gas is on the left like ours than your current placement is good. If you relocate to the other side wont you have to rework the wheel?

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good point about the gas. Didn't even think about that one. Do you know what side the gas is on for a RCW 2275?

Very good point about the gas. Didn't even think about that one. Do you know what side the gas is on for a RCW 2275?
I am thinking they are all the same for manufacturing purposes. I'm sure someone on here who has one can confirm. BTW Thats a really nice set-up you have there.

I am thinking they are all the same for manufacturing purposes. I'm sure someone on here who has one can confirm. BTW Thats a really nice set-up you have there.
No, the fueling location depends on the model and deck arrangement; they are all different.

Ok, I think I have figured out my configuration that will work....and make my wife happy! I'm going to flip the configuration that I have in the picture above. I ordered another dock section that I will have coming out to the right of the dock in front of the boat lift. This way, I should be able to have people enter/exit from the front gate of the pontoon and not have to worry about them falling off the back. Should be a win-win for me. Now if my pontoon was just built! Starting monday it should be started...

Back