Boat build question

Hartwell Ski

Reaction score
Hey all - trying to finalize my Bennington build 22 LFB with a 200 Merc and stuck on a couple things:

I have the choice of mercury power steering at around two grand and power hydraulic assist at about three grand.
Which do I want?

Also getting the SPS package but have the option of sealed lifting strikes for about $800. Worth it?

and I am getting the power distribution panel. Do I also need the master power switch? Only getting one battery.

Thanks

I am also new to boating so I can pass along some advice other people gave me. With the sealed lifting strakes it is a good option especially if you were going from lake to lake or on a lake with invasive species. Less hiding spots for them to cling to.

The master power switch is nice because it is on your dash. I know with the dual batteries the power distribution is at the battery. You have to go adjust battery one or two or off. The master power switch may be more convenient since it is on the dash.

Sounds like you’re building a very nice boat. Make sure to keep us posted on how your build goes and show some pictures when it finally arrives. :)

I have the Mercury Power steering and it works great, you will love power steering if you've never had it. Only bad thing is It does make noise under the helm, but I think they all do.
I have a power switch under the rear seat and I keep forgetting to turn off the battery. I wish I had gotten the master switch on the dash.
If not in salt water or you stay on the same lake I don't think sealed lifting strakes are necessary.

Go with the cheaper Mercury Power Steering - it's also covered by Benny's 10 year warranty (when added at the factory).

The optional Master Power Switch is located on the dash and cuts power to all dash-controlled accessory switches, but still allows the motor to be started and operated...single switch to quickly kill the radio, lights, etc if the need arises.

The optional Battery Switch is located under the seat/storage along with the battery/batteries and allows ALL power to be cut from the entire vessel, including the motor.

Sealed Strakes are, as mentioned by lakelifeMN, great for avoiding small marine biologics from getting inside the strakes and setting up shop. They are also a necessity for brackish/salt water usage (which would also require the optional sacrificial anodes).

Sounds like you are going to have one sweet boat!

If the Mercury power steering is built into the motor as are the Evinrudes ,that would be covered by the Mercury warranty

If the Mercury power steering is built into the motor as are the Evinrudes ,that would be covered by the Mercury warranty

Some are, depending on the model lineup (and/or HP rating).

Standard 4S:

1 Standard 4S.png

ProXS:

2 ProXS.png

SeaPro:

3 SeaPro.png

Verado:

4 Verado.png

The mercury power steering is made by sea star - I’ve had a few issues with mine. Pump was leaking at the helm and trapped air when it was replaced. Both issues were covered under warranty - but other than that I do love the power steering and wouldn’t go without it.

The mercury power steering is made by sea star - I’ve had a few issues with mine. Pump was leaking at the helm and trapped air when it was replaced. Both issues were covered under warranty - but other than that I do love the power steering and wouldn’t go without it.

Does your power assist steering components have Mercury or SeaStar branding logos on them?

Does your power assist steering components have Mercury or SeaStar branding logos on them?

It has mercury branding but it is just rebranded to that from what I was told and the materials I received when they replaced the pump.

You’ve got me second guessing myself so I went to find the manuals. Unfortunately I could only find the helm tilt manual - sea star manual. Couldn’t find the other manual, so until then the verdict is still out. I’d assume my dealer isn’t blowing smoke, but I’ll try to confirm if I can locate the other manual for the pump and ram.
0BB74633-2D88-4A38-9C3B-42310E320714.jpeg

Get the 2 battery set up. We had a single battery for 12 yrs. with our 1st pontoon boat. After having 2 batteries this past season we like the security of that 2nd battery in case.......

Back