Boat Demand is HIGH !!

This is great news as we're going to be selling ours this Spring. Life just too busy and we don't get to enjoy the boat like we thought we would... :(
We went through this last year trying to get a boat. Definitely a sellers market.

We finalized our order the first week of November and our build is scheduled to start on 2/12. I assume it will only get crazier unless you scoop one up off the sales floor.

hope used market is strong this year. We are going to sell our Lake Anna place and 2017 SLXP Tritoon this year.... now that girls are graduating college no desire to go to the lake anymore.

This is great news as we're going to be selling ours this Spring. Life just too busy and we don't get to enjoy the boat like we thought we would... :(

hope used market is strong this year. We are going to sell our Lake Anna place and 2017 SLXP Tritoon this year.... now that girls are graduating college no desire to go to the lake anymore.
Ugleeual - any advice of owning a second home/waterfront? I'm not looking lake Anna or any lake, but out on the Bay (Mobjack preferred). I'm happy to place a lot of my available cash into what should be a fun getaway for years to come, but many 2nd home owners tell me it's a hassle and just to VRBO it. On the balance, was going the ownership route worth it?

It seems waterfront demand and boat demand goes hand in hand so this may be a terrible time to but a property.

Sorry for going off topic everyone.

Ugleeual - any advice of owning a second home/waterfront? I'm not looking lake Anna or any lake, but out on the Bay (Mobjack preferred). I'm happy to place a lot of my available cash into what should be a fun getaway for years to come, but many 2nd home owners tell me it's a hassle and just to VRBO it. On the balance, was going the ownership route worth it?

It seems waterfront demand and boat demand goes hand in hand so this may be a terrible time to but a property.

It all depends on some factors; you willing to rent it out part time, how often you’ll use it, and if you like tinkering around the 2nd house. My wife was adamant not to rent. We used it maybe 5-6 night each month while girls were in HS... once college started we used it 3-4... now that they are finishing up maybe 2 days. I spend one day a month keeping the place up which is now becoming more of a chore than a fun getaway. We bought the place 5 years ago when prices were much lower... COVID has really expanded 2nd home purchases on the lake It seems (safe getaway)... I’m expecting to make money on the sale. If I had to do it again we would have just went on more beach trips and not purchased a place... but we've had some good memories at the lake and no regrets... just think it through before pulling the trigger... it’s definitely a costly luxury. One thing I’ve learned is lake living is not for me... I grew up in Hawaii and like the beach and surf more...

We bought our 2nd place on the lake in 2001, when our daughter (last child) went off to college. We quickly learned that hiring a local guy to mow the yard, a neighbor to plow the driveway and a local dock company to put in and take out the dock and lifts was waaaaay worth the $$. We didn't have to worry about having to get to the lake to mow or worrying about how the propane truck was going to get into the driveway. I usually spent more on food and beer having my son and his buddies up to take out the dock & lifts than I paid the local company. I acquired a second set of most of my tools to avoid having to haul stuff back and forth. We found a dynamite butcher store on the way to the lake and that is our first stop in the spring every year to re-stock the freezer with burgers, brats, chops and steaks. Just like any endeavor, there are days when we questions whether it is worth it, but when we have the grandkids (two sons of that last child) up to spend time with us and ride on the pontoon, every penny becomes worth it. The lake place will eventually become our retirement home, and we are very much looking forward to that day. LIke they said, it's not for everybody, but we haven't regretted our decision.

Nothing is better than living on the water. We’re on our second waterfront property and could never imagine living landlocked now. Taxes are higher but I consider it a fun tax. Everyone is always happy to visit too.

We had a small cabin at Lake Cumberland that I spent more time fixing than relaxing. Jill and I talked about it and with our kids close enough to use it with us or alone with their families we decided to invest in memories. Hired the outside landscaping, sold the lawn mower and tore down the cabin and built a house almost large enough for all 4 generations. It has been fabulous. It is not inexpensive but hearing a little saying they can not wait to get to "tucy" is priceless. I feel 2nd homes go thru cycles depending on our kids schedules. We did not boat during the kids HS and college days. Now they are married with families and the house and boat get used more than ever. Their kids will get in "year round sports" soon, which I hated and there will not be family time anymore. We take what we can get and enjoy it now.

Thanks for the replies everyone, great points and I'm more torn than ever!

This might be a great topic to start up another thread on (do's and don'ts, regrets, advice etc.) given the wealth of experience this community has to offer. If our economy ends up embracing permanent work-from-home I can imagine waterfront being the next hot asset type.

Just an update on delivery times. Official build date is in 2 weeks, so Nov 1 order is a mid Feb build. Engine (Yamaha) is even longer, 5 months from order in November. So I will be a little over 5 months from order to delivery for an L series with the Yamaha SHO.
Anyone who is kicking the tires still and wants to be on the water this summer, might want to pull trigger very soon or hold off until next years models are out.

It's crazy. A dealer told me Sunday that they were told Friday that you had to have a custom order in by this past weekend if you wanted to see it by May.

It's crazy. A dealer told me Sunday that they were told Friday that you had to have a custom order in by this past weekend if you wanted to see it by May.
I would even be shocked with that date. That would be 4 months. I think a lot of the dealers are so used to seeing 3-4 months but things are trending the other way for sure. And sure you can get a boat, but you'll need an engine...and if you want an "in demand" engine, going to be a wait. Dealer told me Merc engines are up to 6 months for some and the Yamaha SHOs are of course popular now.

Good news is plenty of boats it seems in dealerships right now...But....its gonna cost you

I’m leaning more and more towards selling mine after the warranty repairs are fixed.

We just purchased a local dealers LAST two PWCs and it's not even February. My Bennington dealer still has some but they were not willing to bargain whatsoever, saying that they can sell their allotment at full price. Several weeks ago, both had warned me not to wait too long as demand was high last year and they expected to be sold out by early spring. Looks like the PWC market is red-hot at least in Mid-Michigan.

We just purchased a local dealers LAST two PWCs and it's not even February. My Bennington dealer still has some but they were not willing to bargain whatsoever, saying that they can sell their allotment at full price. Several weeks ago, both had warned me not to wait too long as demand was high last year and they expected to be sold out by early spring. Looks like the PWC market is red-hot at least in Mid-Michigan.
Last summer there wasn't a PWC new or used to be had in North Idaho. I put my deposit down last August for 2 2021 models coming in soon. A local dealer had 2 2019's from a trade in and were asking more for those than I'm paying for the 2021's. They were gone in 2 days. Just crazy. Wish I was patient enough to wait for all this stuff to hit the used market.

I ordered last Oct and my boat is here but I haven’t taken delivery yet. The holdup for me was actually the trailer. I was told they were 4-5 months behind as well.

My dealer was having to source trailers from offshoot brands back in May 2020, so I can't imagine what's going on now. When demand outpaces supply you can get some sloppy QC, hope that isn't case here.

Given all the craziness, I may order another one and when it comes in sell the old one for a ridiculous price? Basically trading in for a new boat without the loss on depreciation??

My dealer was having to source trailers from offshoot brands back in May 2020, so I can't imagine what's going on now. When demand outpaces supply you can get some sloppy QC, hope that isn't case here.

Given all the craziness, I may order another one and when it comes in sell the old one for a ridiculous price? Basically trading in for a new boat without the loss on depreciation??
I like your thinking here. In theory if you order one I n a month or two, you’d be able to sell your boat during prime time. Taking delivery in July.Potentially making money and or taking very little loss while using it.
Last summer in the first week or two of August, I sold a three-year-old tri toon for what I paid for it. I was able to put 300 hours on it in between.

I like your thinking here. In theory if you order one I n a month or two, you’d be able to sell your boat during prime time. Taking delivery in July.Potentially making money and or taking very little loss while using it.
Last summer in the first week or two of August, I sold a three-year-old tri toon for what I paid for it. I was able to put 300 hours on it in between.
That is just crazy, but probably win-win for both you and the buyer. Only complication is that a new model now might be $5k more due to the disappearance of discounts.

While I love the current boat there are of course a few things I would do differently next go around. And Yamaha has just announced their updated offshore motors that have some significant changes, so another benefit of a swap.

If GME hits big next week maybe I can just keep both! :cool:

Wish I was patient enough to wait for all this stuff to hit the used market.

We just cancelled our camper order for this reason. If stuff gets back to somewhat normal by fall, there’s gonna be a flood of used campers. I’m already seeing more used ones pop up and they are only 6-12 months old. Buyers remorse is already showing.

Will things EVER get back to the way they used to be ? Not so sure.

Exciting purchase! :cool:

What’d you get (make & model)? You’ll have to swing by the cottage and show them off this upcoming summer.

I’ve wanted to get 1-2 PWC’s since getting the cottage. Periodically I look into them, but like everything else, they are pricey. Looking forward to hopefully checking your new rides out this summer.

Back