Boat Insurance

kanda4

Reaction score
New to boating and learning as I go. Nice to have a forum like this to bounce questions and ideas. Okay, picking up my boat in a few weeks and got to get it insured. Any tips or suggestions here? Any suggestions on agents in the DFW area?

If you want the lowest cost, you'll just have to shop around.

If you want excellent coverage, especially on oil spill clean-up, check out BoatUS. http://www.boatus.com/insurance/

I had All State until I learned my coverage for oil spill clean-up was $100. That's not the deductible, that's the actual coverage limit. BoatUS covers the max liability by law, which is in the $800,000 range. My guess is Semper will list the actual amount before anyone else reads this. I switched to BoatUS immediately. The policy wasn't much more than All State, but I felt the coverage was far superior, and that's why you buy insurance, isn't it?

My 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Search the many threads here already on insurance as there is a lot of good information. Boats have very special needs and require some knowledge by the agent. I switched to Boat US and am happy so far.

Ditto on what kaydano said about Allstate. I thought it was a typo on my policy.

It is $854,400 fuel spill coverage on BOATUS ..... :)

My 2 cents, is to check with the agent that insures your cars, home, etc. I looked at Boat U.S. and while the spillage coverage is great, I weighed that against the fact that if I had the Benny covered by my "regular" insurance company my $4M umbrella policy extended to my new Benny as well.

I agree w/Manitowish, we have EVERYTHING we own insured through Erie insurance group and we get a very healthy discount. Plus we've been w/them for about 29 yrs. now...........

Back