Welcome to Club Bennington

An official club forum for Bennington boats

Login Register

Boat Insurance

Discussion in 'Southwest U.S.' started by kanda4, Jun 14, 2013.

1. kanda4

kanda4 Member

New to boating and learning as I go. Nice to have a forum like this to bounce questions and ideas. Okay, picking up my boat in a few weeks and got to get it insured. Any tips or suggestions here? Any suggestions on agents in the DFW area?

2. kaydano

kaydano Well-Known Member

If you want the lowest cost, you'll just have to shop around.

If you want excellent coverage, especially on oil spill clean-up, check out BoatUS. http://www.boatus.com/insurance/

I had All State until I learned my coverage for oil spill clean-up was $100. That's not the deductible, that's the actual coverage limit. BoatUS covers the max liability by law, which is in the $800,000 range. My guess is Semper will list the actual amount before anyone else reads this. I switched to BoatUS immediately. The policy wasn't much more than All State, but I felt the coverage was far superior, and that's why you buy insurance, isn't it?

My 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2013
  3. TomS

TomS Well-Known Member

Search the many threads here already on insurance as there is a lot of good information. Boats have very special needs and require some knowledge by the agent. I switched to Boat US and am happy so far.

4. SEMPERFI8387

SEMPERFI8387 Moderator

Ditto on what kaydano said about Allstate. I thought it was a typo on my policy.

It is $854,400 fuel spill coverage on BOATUS ..... :)

5. Manitowish1

Manitowish1 Well-Known Member

My 2 cents, is to check with the agent that insures your cars, home, etc. I looked at Boat U.S. and while the spillage coverage is great, I weighed that against the fact that if I had the Benny covered by my "regular" insurance company my $4M umbrella policy extended to my new Benny as well.

6. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

I agree w/Manitowish, we have EVERYTHING we own insured through Erie insurance group and we get a very healthy discount. Plus we've been w/them for about 29 yrs. now...........