Boat key

Murrman

Reaction score
I am new to boating so please forgive me if this is a dumb question. I just purchased a 2014 Bennington 22SSX and love it thus far. I'm learning a lot and practicing as much as I can before I take it out on a crowded weekend. My question is it came with 1 key. Is that normal or should I get another one made? Of course I had other more important questions but have found answers. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum Murrman! Yup have another key made and keep it in a safe place. Did they give you another key to lock the helm? Also put both keys on a ring that has the ability to float in case you drop it in the water...

Didn't even think about a floating key ring! Like I said I've been an RV'er and just switched since moving to Florida. Can you get a key made just about anywhere they make them, like Home Depot? I did not get any other keys. Thanks. Btw a good friend lives in Mooresville and joined the Freedom Boat club at Lake Norman!

To be honest I've never had a boat key made. The dealer we got our boat from gave us 2 of each. We know the Freedom boat club well. It is based at the local Bennington dealership on our lake where we fuel up.They sell their inventory of top quality rental boats both pontoon and bowriders after a certain # of hours. I've seen them they are top quality. How long has your friend lived here? And where do you boat in Florida???

If it’s a YAMAHA key, it will have a number on it such as 753. Just order a spare or two on eBay. That’s what I did. Cost me like $5 each.

I got 2 from my dealer and then bought another one for the marina at their request. All 3 have the Bennington floating keychain, which you can find online.

Mercury keys are all so numbered. I just called my dealer and ordered another one. I think it was $15 for a verado key.
Keep one hid on the boat somewhere. I didn’t and one day when I thought I was going to go for an evening cruise we got to the marina and the keys were in my truck at home.

I wonder if boat builders are going to transition to push button start.
It's becoming more prevalent in the RV industry. The floating key ring may eventually become a thing of the past.

It's becoming more prevalent in the RV industry. The floating key ring may eventually become a thing of the past.
What happens if you get the fob wet that gives the signal to the button to start?

I think I had keys made for our Mercury at Walmart. They were plain. No rubber coating.

No chance of that on boats with outboards that are rigged by dealers who use different outboard motor brands

Here is one example. If Suzuki is doing it I'm thinking the others will follow.

The boat I have on order will have a Suzuki 250 hp. I wonder if it will come with this system? I am guessing not since my dealer didn't mention anything about it. But it looks like cool technology.

Funny thing...I've lived on the lake and owned boats since 1989 and I have never taken a key out of any of my boats. My boat generally lives at my dock behind my house. I have no concern about someone stealing my boat. Never heard of a stolen boat on my large lake (Lake Murray in SC).

And I had a 2000 Honda on my last boat and only had one key when I bought it (used). Wrote down the key number and went to a local repair place that sells and services Honda's. Told the lady I needed a key and she interrupted me as I read her the number. She said she didn't need the number because all Honda's use the SAME key! Probably not true anymore.

While I remove the key from the ignition, it doesn't ever leave the boat. The other set is back at the cottage. Welcome to the Bennington family and post some pictures!

To be honest I've never had a boat key made. The dealer we got our boat from gave us 2 of each. We know the Freedom boat club well. It is based at the local Bennington dealership on our lake where we fuel up.They sell their inventory of top quality rental boats both pontoon and bowriders after a certain # of hours. I've seen them they are top quality. How long has your friend lived here? And where do you boat in Florida???

He moved there about a year ago from Los Angeles. We moved to Florida about 9 months ago from San Diego. We boat on the Indian river near New Smyrna Beach. Thanks for the tips!

Thank you all for your responses. I appreciate it. IMG_0956.jpg IMG_0957.jpg

She's a beauty! Enjoy...

Back