Boat Lift Bunk Material

joc0623

Reaction score
I recently reconfigured our boat lift to handle our Bennington 2019 23 SX Premium SSBXP with the SPS package. I used flat 2x12x16 pressure treated wood (treated with micronized copper anole or MCA) with a lift system rated at 8K pounds. I have read a few posts on several sights over the last few days indicating that having the tubes in direct contact with the wood can over time cause damage to the aluminum tubes due to chemicals in the pressure treated wood. Everything I have read on specs of MCA treated wood state that due to its revised formulation that it was approved for direct contact with aluminum with no corrosion concerns. Was just curious if others had any actual experience with bunks using MCA treated lumber. Should I go ahead and install a vinyl or carpet covering to the top of each bunk Just to be safe?

Attachments

• 2F0900EE-E1BD-47EF-89B1-E259C450763E.jpeg
    2F0900EE-E1BD-47EF-89B1-E259C450763E.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 3E948F82-E2A3-41B1-ADCC-4EFEA503F13F.jpeg
    3E948F82-E2A3-41B1-ADCC-4EFEA503F13F.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I recently reconfigured our boat lift to handle our Bennington 2019 23 SX Premium SSBXP with the SPS package. I used flat 2x12x16 pressure treated wood (treated with micronized copper anole or MCA) with a lift system rated at 8K pounds. I have read a few posts on several sights over the last few days indicating that having the tubes in direct contact with the wood can over time cause damage to the aluminum tubes due to chemicals in the pressure treated wood. Everything I have read on specs of MCA treated wood state that due to its revised formulation that it was approved for direct contact with aluminum with no corrosion concerns. Was just curious if others had any actual experience with bunks using MCA treated lumber. Should I go ahead and install a vinyl or carpet covering to the top of each bunk Just to be safe?
I honestly don’t know anything about the MCA treated wood, just that so many people have been burned with “normal” treated wood bunks.

For the limited extra cost of installing vinyl (my first choice) or carpet over those boards, I’d do it. Very little additional expense to that compared to the overall lift system itself, and certainly nothing compared to the potential corresive damage to those pontoons. I guess I am paranoid in these areas and just wouldn’t even want to remotely risk it. That’s my two cents...which admittedly is MCA treated wood ignorant two cents.

Thanks for the input Vikingstaff. i was thinking pretty much along the same lines as you in terms of adding a strip of vinyl along each bunk as a safeguard even though the maker of this MCA pressure treated wood specs it out as “corrosion save“ in contact with aluminum.

I talked this afternoon with a Bennington technical rep in Conroe, Tx who had a background as a corrosion engineer and he said he would not hesitate to use these MCA PT planks on a tritoon lift. Additionally, conversations with the lift company that installed the lift said they have used these MCA PT bunks on 100+ lifts in the Lake Conroe, Tx area and have never had any problems.

Having heard all that I am still leaning towards adding a vinyl cover which as you said would be a heck of a lot cheaper than fixing any corrosion issues on one or more tubes.

Thanks again for the input!

Last edited:
Thanks for the input Vikingstaff. i was thinking pretty much along the same lines as you in terms of adding a strip of vinyl along each bunk as a safeguard even though the maker of this MCA pressure treated wood specs it out as “corrosion save“ in contact with aluminum.

I talked this afternoon with a Bennington technical rep in Conroe, Tx who had a background as a corrosion engineer and he said he would not hesitate to use these MCA PT planks on a tritoon lift. Additionally, conversations with the lift company that installed he lift said they have used these MCA PT bunks on 100+ lifts in the Lake Conroe, Tx area and have never had any problems.

Having heard all that I am still leaning towards adding a vinyl cover which as you said would be a heck of a lot cheaper than fixing any corrosion issues on one or more tubes.

Thanks again for the input!
All of that said, it sounds like a great advancement for treasted wood bunks. I had not heard of it until your post, but sure sounds like there is a lot of good chatter about them working from your post. From the sounds of it, you’d be fine. But like I said, my innate worry would lead me to slap that darn vinyl onto them just to be extra secure. Regardless, enjoy the upcoming boating season. I’d imagine you have a very long season down there in Texas. Me, not so long up here in Michigan.

Back